PDA

View Full Version : General Chat Advice appreciated!

Specsteve
12-23-2007, 03:49 PM
Hey guys, Im looking for something to replace my bolted '05 Spec-V, and honestly I was hoping to get some advice and direction in which vehicle to purchase next. I am hoping to keep it under 10K, have it be fairly light on insurance, and something that I can modify without fear of blowing the motor.

Basically I have it narrowed down to a few ideas so far...but I was hoping to get some owner feedback on these cars.

1G or 2G eclispe or talon
EM1 Civic
S13 or S14
MKII MR2 (assuming I can find one under 10)

I also am open to any suggestions or ideas anyone has. Basically I need something that will be DD and light on maintence. I am open to all car manufactures whether domestic, japanese, or european. If anybody has any ideas, or input I would greatly appreciate it.

Im hoping to have a mid-high 200's whp, DD that is light on maintence and somewhat practical for a 21 year old.

Thanks in advance to anyone who helps!

Kaiser
12-23-2007, 07:07 PM
If you really want to DD it and modify it without "worry about blowing the motor" then I suggest you skip on the DSM. They're fantastic cars and run very fast very easily. They are a pain for regular service, almost as bad as my Audi.

Your next option, the EM1 Civic: Go for it. This is a good bet. Won't get you your Horsepower ratings, but is a quick and reliable car that is fun to drive and will get you decent gas mileage if you don't drive like a ricer. There's even a few in your price range if you're willing to look for 'em.

240's: Same as with the Civic, if you want the best bang for your buck, buy a late model S14. There was one on Autotrader driven by a more senior lady who babied the car. It's auto, but on a 240 that's an easy swap to a 5-speed. The car is pristine too. Dunno if it's still around but you should look for those like it.

MR2: I dunno anything about 'em, so I'll skip it except to say I think this is probably what insurance will be highest on, but I don't know that as fact.

My suggestion: Keep the SE-R man. Why're you trading in a two year old car for an older car? What's wrong with the Spec-V?

Specsteve
12-23-2007, 08:22 PM
If you really want to DD it and modify it without "worry about blowing the motor" then I suggest you skip on the DSM. They're fantastic cars and run very fast very easily. They are a pain for regular service, almost as bad as my Audi.

Your next option, the EM1 Civic: Go for it. This is a good bet. Won't get you your Horsepower ratings, but is a quick and reliable car that is fun to drive and will get you decent gas mileage if you don't drive like a ricer. There's even a few in your price range if you're willing to look for 'em.

240's: Same as with the Civic, if you want the best bang for your buck, buy a late model S14. There was one on Autotrader driven by a more senior lady who babied the car. It's auto, but on a 240 that's an easy swap to a 5-speed. The car is pristine too. Dunno if it's still around but you should look for those like it.

MR2: I dunno anything about 'em, so I'll skip it except to say I think this is probably what insurance will be highest on, but I don't know that as fact.

My suggestion: Keep the SE-R man. Why're you trading in a two year old car for an older car? What's wrong with the Spec-V?

Thanks for the advice man. I was afraid of that with DSM's, but damn I love those cars lol

The SE-R is a really good car, but I pretty much have maxed it out performance wise without going forced induction...and to be honest I am scared to put any type of kit on it because the QR25 does not seem to handle boost well. Plus...I might sound really vain...but its a sentra lol

On top of that I wanna get the car sold before it deappreciates in value any further. I will say the car is pretty fun to drive and does pretty good on gas, and I love the torque but I would also love to be able to rev past 6200 and have some top end haha

Im really leaning towards a 240 I think, maybe swap in a CA or something? I heard that swap is pretty stable and fairly inexpensive

Thanks again Kaiser

Kaiser
12-23-2007, 11:11 PM
No problemo. I like Sentras, but I drive a sedan (by choice and I love it) but then again I also have AWD and a turbo lolz. You could always swap the QR25 to a sideways SR20DET from a bluebird or something, but suit yourself. Why the CA? Scared of all the guys on IA to say SR20's are rice? Or do you just want to be different and make life harder lol? Seriously though, CA is ROCK SOLID MOTAR. but it's older than SR's, don't forget that. Though if you get a 240 hatch then CA18DET works pretty good. It's up to you bud but yeah. I understand about the rev's bit, but if you really wanna Rev Hard! go honda. :-\ Or be awesome and get a 240 and stuff an RB25/6DET/T in there.

On the point about the value of the car: This is what I don't understand about so many people. You're so worried about the value of the car depreciating that you never stop to realize that you worrying about it is what causes cars to depreciate, lol. I plan on keeping my car till I can't revive it any more. Doesn't mean it'll be the only car I ever have, I just don't see the point of selling a car that you tune. Let the masses of idiots out there sell cars cheap. Keeps me getting good deals on cars.

rednblack
12-23-2007, 11:42 PM
I'd have to agree on the Civic and 240, and I know from personal experience that every little bit of maintenance on an MR2 is a nightmare, just no room in the engine bay. For under 10k you can find a swapped S14 which would put you right in your target power range, and insurance on them isn't bad at all IMO. Additionally, SR swaps are so common now, that finding parts for them is really easy. If you're looking for 240's for sale, check out www.240atlanta.com , there are usually a few nice ones on there for sale. Hope I've been able to help :)