PDA

View Full Version : Handling Mods chrome rims

cooleyfresh
12-20-2007, 07:04 PM
i have a set of icw 18"rims that have a couple chunks missing and i wanted to know how do i get those filled in and how much does it cost. if i fill in the chunks can i paint them any color that i want or do i have to get them chrome refinished.

KPowerEP3
12-20-2007, 09:43 PM
a couple of chunks of what? the rim or the chrome?

cooleyfresh
12-20-2007, 09:46 PM
a couple of chunks of what? the rim or the chrome?
its a chrome rim missing chunks of metal probably from hitting curbs but that is the way i got it so i don't really know.....

dickdragon
12-21-2007, 12:01 AM
if it's around the outer lip. then you can possibly get them refinished with a very high polish. please have done by a professional. if not the chrome that's still good can possibly start to peel off, then you'll have to do the whole rim.

KPowerEP3
12-21-2007, 02:27 AM
its a chrome rim missing chunks of metal probably from hitting curbs but that is the way i got it so i don't really know.....

It depends on how bad it is, really, as well as the type of material the actual wheel is made of be it steel or aluminum or whatever. You may be able to find a place that would go back and fill the areas by basically filling the gashes with welds of the same alloy, they'd have to grind down and smooth out the lip after they did, though, so you'd have to have all of them you had that done to stripped and re-chromed. I don't know that they'd even be able to do this though, because depending on the quality of the wheel, the heat may or may not adversely affect the strength.

Unless I misunderstood you and just the plating has come off, then you can do like ****dragon said, but you'd still be able to see it if you looked closely. Again, if this is the case you'd just have to have them stripped and redipped.

cooleyfresh
12-21-2007, 11:53 AM
It depends on how bad it is, really, as well as the type of material the actual wheel is made of be it steel or aluminum or whatever. You may be able to find a place that would go back and fill the areas by basically filling the gashes with welds of the same alloy, they'd have to grind down and smooth out the lip after they did, though, so you'd have to have all of them you had that done to stripped and re-chromed. I don't know that they'd even be able to do this though, because depending on the quality of the wheel, the heat may or may not adversely affect the strength.

Unless I misunderstood you and just the plating has come off, then you can do like ****dragon said, but you'd still be able to see it if you looked closely. Again, if this is the case you'd just have to have them stripped and redipped.

thanks everybody for your help i just found out that my cousin does this at his shop so next time i go to it he said that he can fix it for me. he said all he has to do is weld in some steel and then send it then since i am going to get them painted then i dont have to chrome fininh them again all i need is to bead blast and then paint them.....

The BUCKY
12-21-2007, 12:28 PM
alot of work for some icw