PDA

View Full Version : What is the difference in an Engine, and a Motor?

Init2winit
12-20-2007, 05:50 PM
Anyone? No google, or searches. I'm just curious as to what the population thinks.:D

DaRussian
12-20-2007, 05:55 PM
engine runs on gas, motor is electric.

skillzilla
12-20-2007, 06:19 PM
An engine is a motor, but not vice-versa.

Schugg
12-20-2007, 06:19 PM
engine is what is in a car, a motor is a name for anything (electric/gas/air) thats causes something to do whats its supposed too.

engines are in - car, mower, go cart, plane

motors are in - all the above, impact guns, remote control cars, ceiling fans, power garage doors

thats my input, sounds good to me

dorin48
12-20-2007, 08:44 PM
Motors simply rotate.

Engines are pumps that have directional energy changed to rotaional by a crankshaft.

MaconPerformance
12-20-2007, 08:47 PM
YEah What They said.....

Z0_o6
12-20-2007, 08:48 PM
no difference whatsoever, unless you want to argue strict and true definition. The fact is, the general populous uses the terms interchangeably, therefore nullifying the almighty Webster's definition of each. An engine, or a motor, can, and will continue to be the same thing.

RBS
12-20-2007, 08:54 PM
well if you wanna get technical, to me a motor in general is something electrical, and an engine is something thats stuck in cars that eats gas all day LoL

Schugg
12-20-2007, 09:20 PM
sure all engines are motors, but not all motors are engines. either way everything is known as a motor, when you replace your engine i doubt anyone is calling it a engine swap (that often), all ive ever heard is motor swap.

Vteckidd
12-20-2007, 09:28 PM
no difference whatsoever, unless you want to argue strict and true definition. The fact is, the general populous uses the terms interchangeably, therefore nullifying the almighty Webster's definition of each. An engine, or a motor, can, and will continue to be the same thing.
:goodjob:

If you want to get nit picky, then IMO an engine is an air pump, a motor is electric.

All Engines are motors, not all motors are engines.

speedminded
12-20-2007, 09:44 PM
engine runs on gas, motor is electric.bingo!

Motors simply rotate.

Engines are pumps that have directional energy changed to rotaional by a crankshaft.exactly.

well if you wanna get technical, to me a motor in general is something electrical, and an engine is something thats stuck in cars that eats gas all day LoLyou said it!

I refuse to call an internal combustion engine a motor. The starter is a motor, the alternator can be a motor with modifications, but the engine is not a motor. It's an engine. Motors turn electrical energy into mechanical energy. Engines turn thermal energy into mechanical energy. Two completely different things. :tongue:

Z0_o6
12-20-2007, 09:48 PM
just to play devil's advocate here...

while i completely agree that you are exactly correct in definition, doesn't the general usage of a word normally dictate the definition?

redrumracer
12-20-2007, 10:26 PM
engine power by fuels(coal, gas, propane, etc)
motor is electric

speedminded
12-20-2007, 10:30 PM

while i completely agree that you are exactly correct in definition, doesn't the general usage of a word normally dictate the definition?...and would you agree the improper usage of a word displays ignorance? :tongue:

skillzilla
12-20-2007, 11:08 PM
Proper use of either word wouldn't make any sense today within this context, and thats the point. They are both Latin, and the meanings change with every dictionary you look at.

bandydesign
12-20-2007, 11:20 PM
Not sure, but doesn't it change by region too? I imagine in other areas of the country they're all motors and engine is weird to them; ya know Coke/pop

Elbow
12-20-2007, 11:24 PM
Engine is not belt driven as a motor is driven by a tensioning rod spring.

redrumracer
12-20-2007, 11:38 PM

electric motor?

yudalicious
12-21-2007, 12:11 AM

while i completely agree that you are exactly correct in definition, doesn't the general usage of a word normally dictate the definition?

A linguist advocating the prescriptivist's theory of language would agree with you, as well as some dictionaries.

StraightSix
12-21-2007, 01:43 AM

Neither of which could possibly be true. Motors and engines are the source of angular motion, and are thus the drivers. Energy goes in, motion come out and drives wheels, pulleys, or whatever.

RandomGuy
12-21-2007, 02:06 AM
engine is what is in a car, a motor is a name for anything (electric/gas/air) thats causes something to do whats its supposed too.

engines are in - car, mower, go cart, plane

motors are in - all the above, impact guns, remote control cars, ceiling fans, power garage doors

thats my input, sounds good to meI agree with this guy the most

if so then why is an engine/tranny commonly referred to as a motorset?

More specifically i'd call my Longblock a motor, where the engine is the whole 9 yards, the longblock, manifolds, alternator, etc... Which is why when you go to the machine shop, they refer to everything as motors.

For example. Would you call a contraption which turns air pressure from an air compressor into mechanical motion through the use of a turbine an engine? I'd call it a motor. No electricity involved (except for maybe the spark in the compressor ENGINE lol, but thats irrelevant) There is a "motor" inside an air impact, a car, a turbine engine for a jet, a motor in a r/c car.

If motor always referred to an electric motor, then why would people specify when saying "Electric motor", wouldn't they just say motor?

Proper use of either word wouldn't make any sense today within this context, and thats the point. They are both Latin, and the meanings change with every dictionary you look at.
This is true, even moreso they change from place to place as well. In Pakistan/India the word "motor" refers to an "automobile"...

Init2winit
12-21-2007, 06:34 AM
Very interesting opinions, and some good points! Keep them coming!

Z0_o6
12-21-2007, 08:02 AM
i look at it this way, is logic (as the average person understands it) still logic if only one person believes it? same property. i could reverse the definitions completely and believe it, thefore, to me, the definitions are true and correct. therefore majority rules on the subject. man i love arguing bull**** like this, just because, in the end it's a moot point anyways.

...and would you agree the improper usage of a word displays ignorance? :tongue:

DieselNuts
12-21-2007, 08:12 AM
I refuse to call an internal combustion engine a motor. The starter is a motor, the alternator can be a motor with modifications, but the engine is not a motor. It's an engine. Motors turn electrical energy into mechanical energy. Engines turn thermal energy into mechanical energy. Two completely different things. :tongue:

I 100% agree with you on this. My auto mechanics teacher would refuse to answer anyone's question when they refered to the engine as a motor. He would usually reply, "what motor? the windshield wiper motor?" I thought it was pretty funny, but that brings me to my next point...Why is it called a MOTORcycle? I asked him and he didnt know. Honestly, I dont know if anyone does...

DieselNuts
12-21-2007, 08:16 AM
If motor always referred to an electric motor, then why would people specify when saying "Electric motor", wouldn't they just say motor?

Why do people call an Automatic Teller Machine an "ATM machine"?

speedminded
12-21-2007, 08:41 AM
Try Google Images:

Motor (http://images.google.com/images?svnum=10&um=1&hl=en&q=motor&btnG=Search+Images)

Engine (http://images.google.com/images?svnum=10&um=1&hl=en&q=engine)

I 100% agree with you on this. My auto mechanics teacher would refuse to answer anyone's question when they refered to the engine as a motor. He would usually reply, "what motor? the windshield wiper motor?" I thought it was pretty funny, but that brings me to my next point...Why is it called a MOTORcycle? I asked him and he didnt know. Honestly, I dont know if anyone does...In the early years of automobiles in Europe they were called motorcars or motorcoach. You mentioned motorcycles but don't forget about motorboats too. So is it a boat engine or boat motor? They're internal combustion engines but most everyone refers to them as motors :dunno:

Plus you have "motorsports" and don't forget about track names...Atlanta Motor Speedway, Lowe's Motor Speedway, etc. But they're circle tracks so I write them off as ignorance :tongue:

DieselNuts
12-21-2007, 08:48 AM
Try Google Images:

Motor (http://images.google.com/images?svnum=10&um=1&hl=en&q=motor&btnG=Search+Images)

Engine (http://images.google.com/images?svnum=10&um=1&hl=en&q=engine)

In the early years of automobiles in Europe they were called motorcars or motorcoach. You mentioned motorcycles but don't forget about motorboats too. So is it a boat engine or boat motor? They're internal combustion engines but most everyone refers to them as motors :dunno:

Plus you have "motorsports" and don't forget about track names...Atlanta Motor Speedway, Lowe's Motor Speedway, etc. But they're circle tracks so I write them off as ignorance :tongue:

lol, reps because of the last paragraph :goodjob:

speedminded
12-21-2007, 08:57 AM
lol, reps because of the last paragraph :goodjob:"Motor" can be used as a verb to describe motion too, that's why the English language is the most difficult, there is nothing "cut and dry" about it. Where the hell does "cut-and-dried" come from? lol

DieselNuts
12-21-2007, 09:05 AM
"Motor" can be used as a verb to describe motion too, that's why the English language is the most difficult, there is nothing "cut and dry" about it. Where the hell does "cut-and-dried" come from? lol

lol, yeah, or tounge & groove?

speedminded
12-21-2007, 09:30 AM
lol, yeah, or tounge & groove?tongue and groove is from wood working...been around for a longgg time.

I guess cut-and-dried is referring to the simplicity of a hair cut but ionno :dunno:

DieselNuts
12-21-2007, 09:31 AM
tongue and groove is from wood working...been around for a longgg time.

I guess cut-and-dried is referring to the simplicity of a hair cut but ionno :dunno:
well, i knew that, but where the hell did they come up with it? I mean seriously, who would think "tounge" when working with wood?

Init2winit
12-21-2007, 09:32 AM
well, i knew that, but where the hell did they come up with it? I mean seriously, who would think "tounge" when working with wood?I always like a little tounge when my wood is being worked with!

quickdodgeŽ
12-21-2007, 09:36 AM
I always like a little tounge when my wood is being worked with!

If you have nothing else, at least you have your dreams. Later, QD.

Init2winit
12-21-2007, 09:39 AM
If you have nothing else, at least you have your dreams. Later, QD.You got that right!

MaconPerformance
12-21-2007, 10:09 AM
Cut and dried comes from the tobacco ind.... Tobacco is cut then dried. After that is is done. Hence cut and dried

DieselNuts
12-21-2007, 10:12 AM
Cut and dried comes from the tobacco ind.... Tobacco is cut then dried. After that is is done. Hence cut and dried
Interesting. Repped.