PDA

View Full Version : General Chat Good Job = Good Car: S2000 Questions

DrivenMind
12-20-2007, 11:08 AM
So for the first time in my life, it looks like I might be getting a decent job with some pretty good pay. Assuming my interview at 2 pm, goes the way I think it will. I've been toying with the idea of what on earth I would do with a real income but one thing is for sure. I will need another car to act as a daily while I try to get everything on the Corolla sorted out. Hell maybe I'll actually put the Corolla away and get some work done to it.

At first I was thinking about practicality, and kinda took a liking to the Protege' wagon that Mazda released a few years back. Frankly I love the way they look, they not too over top, but nice, subtle, and clean. Plus I hear they handle pretty good, and the engine makes a good noise. Then theres the WRX wagon, which has all sorts of potential, the benefit of AWD, and is reasonably practical. Unfortunately after driving a buddies modified WRX, and several quick FWD cars, I sort of realized that as awesome as AWD is, nothing seems to make me feel as connected with a car as RWD does. You know that whole adjusting your line with your foot thing... I ****ing love it.

But then I started looking at cars that I'd really like to own, and drive, within a price range of about $20,000. One in particular stood out; The first generation Honda S2000. I've always loved these cars, and to be honest I really almost feel like the S2000 could in a way be the spiritual successor to the AE86. They both rev high, have a somewhat short wheelbase, reasonably low curb weight, and place an emphasis on driving pleasure. Plus you've got the reliability of a Honda, with the performance mindset that made the Integra Type-R so good. Ideally it'd be an '03 or earlier, in white, with a red interior.

The drawbacks? This is isn't so much of a draw back as it is a personal opinion, but I'd like to get a hard top for it. Convertibles are great for picking up the bitches, but not so great for chassis rigidity, and bad weather conditions. Plus I wouldn't want some ******* slashing my soft top.

I thought about a Miata too, but they're a tad too small inside, and they simply don't sing the way an S2000 does.

So I was wondering what mechanical issues, if any, are known to exist within the platform? And how well does the car respond to modification, and spirited driving?

Kaiser
12-20-2007, 12:16 PM
As far as I know the AP1's a solid platform. About your preference to hardtops, I share it. However both the S2k and Miata were designed as Roadsters, not coupes. Meaning their true design form actually has NO top (Rag or otherwise) at all in it's pure form. Adding a drop-top is a convenience that makes the car more Daily-drivable. To that note, the way roadsters are built is ultra-rigid cross-membered frames. You don't need to worry about frame twist any more than you'd have to with a similar size/powered coupe.

They do however make hardtops for the S2k, that are just replacement removable hardtops that fit down where the ragtop would be. It doesn't really add more structural support, but it also really doesn't need to. If you were going to drift it, I'd tell you you'd need a roll cage to fit underneath the hard top, but you can do that if/when you decide to, though that's a bit extreme. I would love an S2k personally, so here's to hoping you find hapiness with it! :goodjob:

speedminded
12-20-2007, 01:42 PM
The S2000 is a drivers car and definitely requires an alert and confident one. It's not like an Evo or Scooby that practically drives itself, they are the "point & shoot" of the import world: point the wheels and hammer the gas and it goes...the S2k is nothing like that. You want a car you steer with the throttle then you've found it :goodjob:

As for aftermarket availability, really all that's needed on one is coil-overs & sways, upgraded LSD, flywheel/clutch, hard top, and maybe wheels...I prefer the factory AP1 wheel powercoated black or graphite over most of the aftermarket one people put on theirs, lol. Then when you get bored with the power you could do a stroker kit for $2-2,500.

Brett
12-20-2007, 01:42 PM
The AP1 is a very solid platform, As well as the AP2. I would Highly suggest getting either. I wanted one for years and finally a few months back bought a 2005 S and its the best car I have owned. Very high spirited car, some say for daily driving its not ideal, but mine is a daily and I wouldnt have it any other way.

You have to watch a few things with it, Like it wet weather you have to cool it with how you drive, with it being rear wheel and so light it can fling out from ya pretty easy.

As far as mods, they arent cheap. Nothing for this car is, but DO NOT.... I REPEAT, DO NOT get springs to lower it if you plan on using it for mounatin runs on weekends or even a track day here and there, You will have to save up big for racing coilovers and they are in the low side 1k+.

I havent modded mine, just to expensive but factory it handles like a dream, and drives and pulls strong.

also check out www.s2katlanta.com or www.s2ki.com for as much S2k info as you need.

aaronfelipe
12-20-2007, 01:45 PM
I would get the 2003.

speedminded
12-20-2007, 01:46 PM
S2k stuff...
http://www.aj-racing.com/

iloveboost
12-20-2007, 02:12 PM
My best friend had a Comptech Supercharged S2000, lots of suspension stuff, hardtop, Work wheels, J's Racing carbon fiber front bumper and stuff, sticky tires and upgraded brake set up and it was EASILY the most fun car I've ever driven. It started right up, wasn't loud unless you were on it, easy to drive, low maintenance, handled like it was on rails and it looked awesome.

Looking back I regret not buying it from him.

I've driven a stock S2000 and it's was pretty fun even in stock trim. Definitely be patient when looking for one. You can find some really, really nice modded S2000s out there for not a lot of money.

collins
12-20-2007, 03:35 PM
i agree with you on the notion of the s2's. hell i was debating on which platform i wanted before i bought the gto. did i want quick and nimble? or did i want a platform that had more potential for speed as well as daily practicality?

i went with teh gto because of the backseat/trunk factor as well as (in straight line) the performance was night and day.

currently, i'm contemplating gettin an ap1 s2000 for my daily beater because i'd still love to have one and they get much better gas mileage than my pig, and they're incredibly fun to drive.

i have to agree with brett on the suspension aspect. i've driven both stock and lowered s2's and the lowered one's geometry was thrown completly off. the stock one actually handeled MUUUUUCH better. so if you get one and if you do ANYTHING to it, just be sure to do your research on it before you proceed with modification. the s2 is one of those cars that if you go with cheap mods, you WILL regret it and it'll be just a waste of money for you.

Brett
12-21-2007, 12:45 PM
i have to agree with brett on the suspension aspect. i've driven both stock and lowered s2's and the lowered one's geometry was thrown completly off. the stock one actually handeled MUUUUUCH better. so if you get one and if you do ANYTHING to it, just be sure to do your research on it before you proceed with modification. the s2 is one of those cars that if you go with cheap mods, you WILL regret it and it'll be just a waste of money for you.

Yeah the S is one of the rare ones that come from the factory with a perfect balanced suspension and messing with it could ruin it all. The geometry is perfect I think, and like Collins said DONT GO CHEAP. It was hard for me to accept that mindset after selling the civic, I almost bought a set of $50 Skunk 2 spings for the S2000 off someone on here just to get that dropped look, But then the reality of what I own now snapped in me and I decided to leave it stock for now, until or unless I can afford a $1000.00+ suspension kit. This is ONE CAR you cant go cheap on.

SampaGuy
12-21-2007, 09:39 PM
Unfortunately after driving a buddies modified WRX, and several quick FWD cars, I sort of realized that as awesome as AWD is, nothing seems to make me feel as connected with a car as RWD does. You know that whole adjusting your line with your foot thing... I ****ing love it.

repped!

admedlin
12-21-2007, 11:27 PM
yep i got a pretty good job last year, payed off my stuff and decided to splurge a little and got mine brand new in September. I don't have a huge drive to work and school, probably only drive 25 miles a day at most, but its an awesome car.

I'm from NC, so I like the cooler weather. Tonight when I got off at 10:30, I put the top down and took off. Thats what I love about this car. Its a blast to drive, looks great, girls love it (although my fiance doesn't like that part)...

There is a great aftermarket for this car too. A lot of the stuff is expensive like already mentioned, but can be well worth it. I just picked up a Berk Technologies test pipe for my first mod. I haven't put it on yet, but from what I've heard, even a little thing like that will be noticeable because it is so light.

The greatest thing about the S is that from the factory, this is like a race car. the suspension is perfect for it, the intake and exhaust are already very good. Its also much more comfortable than I originally thought. I'm 6'1, 210lbs, not the smallest guy in the world and I fit fine and have plenty of room.

So if you are thinking about it, look around, you'll probably find a pretty good deal. You're a little late for it, but I think back in September or something, there was a guy selling a 2JZ swapped AP1 for $28k in Alabama! Good luck with the search, it sounds like this is what you want

where did you apply btw?

ueyedgr8tness
12-22-2007, 08:12 AM
Hmm..Ok if u want something that handles amazing and looks good get a s2k.But here is were ppl go "wrong" if u want a car to mod and go fast the s2k is not for u unless u got deep pocket's.I have wanted to get a s2k and was even inches from buying overminds ap1 but he didint come thrue.But after doing alot of study on the s2k i found out the car wouldnt work for me anyway cause i am looking to have something as a dd that lay down a good 1/4 mile time for a decent price.

Now on the other hand u can get a ap1-ap2 allday for around 12k-18k the price is dropping on them,but keep in mind if you want to mod it later and make any were over 250whp get ready to go (FI) because u can add all the bolt on's u want but your not going to get a good gain unless u go into the engine.

On another note mabye look at getting a 350z u can find the 03-05 models in the same price rang as the ap1-ap2 and just a hair quicker and u can spray it with some no$ to have a little fun unlike the s2k because of it's high compression.and if u don't care about having a car that looks good and puts down some decent whp,go ahead and get the s2k cause it is a bad a$$ car for the mtn's.