PDA

View Full Version : engine misfire at low rpms

Mr. Clean
12-19-2007, 07:45 PM
b16a in a del sol. it putters when it idles at about 1500 (i think) most of the time and if you gas it about 100 more rpms it putters and jumps reaaaallllly bad like it will almost cut off but if you take to about 2000 or 3000 its fine. and sometimes if you rev it one good time it will come back to a perfect idle.

the o2 was unhooked for about a month on it but i just put one back in and i changed the plugs and wires and im changing the distributer cap and rotor tomorrow. and the head gasket leaks a bit on the passenger side of the block.

could it be a simple timing issue or could the head gasket fudge it up...

what the hell... any ideas?

JDMirza
12-19-2007, 08:29 PM
Could be either these problems listed here below:

1. Bad o2 sensor.
2. Vacuum leak, bent/damaged valves, bad spark plugs.
3. Ignition Coil has trouble.

After you give it gas, does it turn off ?

If it does, you either got your IAT sensor and your MAP Sensor on the other way around, try switching those around. Their located around the left side of the intake manifold location.

Mr. Clean
12-19-2007, 08:58 PM
the o2 sensor and spark plugs are new as of today. it could be vacuum... thats what others have said. whats the best way to go about checking for a leak. any good order to go in or an easier way then spraying water and watching for bubbles.

and if i give a little gas it jumps real bad but if i just give it gas past a little bit then its fine. it is impossible to put it in first and go 2-5 mph. it acts like you are letting out of the clutch with no gas. you literally have to keep the clutch half way depressed and ride the gas at 2000-2500

scttydb411
12-19-2007, 08:58 PM
you're on the right track, but iat is 2 wire and map is 3 wire. map/tps get mixed up quite a bit and iat and a variety of other 2 wire plugs can get mixed up if you've done any work where plugs wouldv'e been disconnected.

there are a variety of issues you could have as just stated:
timing
vac leak
o2
sensors mixed up
compression
tune up items

any cel?

Mr. Clean
12-19-2007, 09:00 PM
any cel?

cel?.... cell phone?

Mr. Clean
12-19-2007, 09:01 PM
and its ob1 and the sensor should be good. DO did the swap so as far as i know there are no wires mixed up

JDMirza
12-19-2007, 09:20 PM
CEL = Checking engine Light.

Take off one of the vacuum lines towards your brake booster and hold one side with your finger, and see for your problems.

JDMirza
12-19-2007, 09:21 PM
Also checking the compression, ain't it suppose to be like around 180-200 in a b16a ?

IOnlyLookStock
12-19-2007, 09:21 PM
cel?.... cell phone?

Lolz... cel = Check Engine Light

My buddys b16 SI did that exact thing, it was a timing issue in his car.

six7teen
12-19-2007, 10:07 PM
sounds like your firing order may be off too. make sure all the spark plug wires are plugged in the right place in the distributor.

Mr. Clean
12-20-2007, 07:04 AM
CEL = Checking engine Light.

hahaha oooook yeah its on. its been on since i picked it up. i cant find anywhere that will run it because its OBD1. but i think when im changing the head gasket im going to get the timing checked. hopefully that will fix it.

is it really bad for the motor to drive with it misfiring like this?

JDMirza
12-20-2007, 11:27 AM
lol, you can do it yourself. hold on there is a thread how to run OBDI cel's.

JDMirza
12-20-2007, 11:28 AM
http://www.importatlanta.com/forums/showthread.php?t=147550

Give mr. kidd the props, the plug is located near the ecu. Read that thread for more info, I didn't feel like explaining it but Mike sure as hell did a fantastic job. Give him props, l8r.

Don't put anymore stress on that motor running like that, and yes it's bad. It can be running way too rich, who knows what's going on in there.

Mr. Clean
12-20-2007, 03:06 PM
a geez... this thing is a pain in the ass. haha.

JDMirza
12-20-2007, 03:13 PM
Lol, It shouldn't be that awful

Mr. Clean
12-20-2007, 04:08 PM
alright where is the hazard fuse?. the fuse box under the hood doesnt have a map. and i cannot find it on google for anything

JDMirza
12-20-2007, 05:00 PM
alright where is the hazard fuse?. the fuse box under the hood doesnt have a map. and i cannot find it on google for anything
Hazard? Like for the Hazard lights?

Mr. Clean
12-20-2007, 08:43 PM
Hazard? Like for the Hazard lights?

yessur. it resets the ECU. but i dont know which one to pull... i guess it wouldnt hurt to just start grabbing.

UPDATE

put a new header one thats not cheap as hell and fixed all the exhaust leaks.

the 2 piece header leaked at the flange and it was bolted to the rest of the exhaust piping with one bolt that wasnt very tight. so after all that the idle is perfect now. and it only bogs down just a little.

but if im sitting at a stop light the rpms will sometime fall to where it wants to cut off but it does it reaaallll slow kinda fades out

SO... im thinking a vacuum leak. which is kind of a pain but i think im gonna focus on that next

thanks guys for all your help

JDMjoe
12-20-2007, 08:59 PM
Your welcome, now wheres my tranny lol

MaconPerformance
12-20-2007, 09:05 PM
Spray some WD40 around the vacuum leaks and you can find it.... The idle should fluctuate when the WD40 finds the leak.....

Mr. Clean
12-20-2007, 09:19 PM
Spray some WD40 around the vacuum leaks and you can find it.... The idle should fluctuate when the WD40 finds the leak.....

where should i start to find the leaks. i mean theres 398732943 places it could be.

MaconPerformance
12-21-2007, 10:37 AM
I did the same thing from left to right lightly spraying till I heard the a change in idle. It has worked for me twice.

Mr. Clean
12-21-2007, 05:46 PM
I did the same thing from left to right lightly spraying till I heard the a change in idle. It has worked for me twice.

so should it be doing the odd idle when i try and do this and it will should fix the idle whenever i find the leak i guess?

blaknoize
12-21-2007, 06:00 PM
Bet u its on ur air intake!!! Mine was, the most obvious spot in the world and I missed it. But more than likely it is a vacuum leak. And yes, while at operating temp. ur car should idle down, or at least catch ur attention once u hit it with carb cleaner. Hopefully it doesnt become to much of a pain to u. g/l

JDMirza
12-21-2007, 07:14 PM
Starting fluid can work too, right ? Just curious.

I always used carb cleaner or WD40.

Mr. Clean
12-21-2007, 08:34 PM
alright looks like i have my work cut out for me on christmas eve morning haha

r_Senik
12-22-2007, 09:20 PM
im having the same probblem too...did you check your compression?

i checked mine and its readding 0 on the 4th cylinder...that means i got a bent valve...:gay:
hopefully get a new head this week and everything works allright

Mr. Clean
12-22-2007, 09:32 PM
im having the same probblem too...did you check your compression?

i checked mine and its readding 0 on the 4th cylinder...that means i got a bent valve...:gay:
hopefully get a new head this week and everything works allright

thats totally ghey! i do not want a bent valve. jeesus man... i hope its just the timing or a vacuum issue.

scttydb411
12-22-2007, 11:33 PM
what was your cel?

check for your vac leak between the tb and the head. issues usually are:
1. tb gasket
2. im gasket
3. injector rings

if you had a bad enough exhaust leak before the primary o2 then it could've been giving a false lean reading causing your car to over correct and run too rich. if you've fixed that issue then it should correct the problem. if it's still doing it, but not as much you may have fixed half your problem.

the cel will help lead you down the right path. don't just reset the ecu without finding out what it is first.

Mr. Clean
12-23-2007, 07:17 AM
what was your cel?

check for your vac leak between the tb and the head. issues usually are:
1. tb gasket
2. im gasket
3. injector rings

if you had a bad enough exhaust leak before the primary o2 then it could've been giving a false lean reading causing your car to over correct and run too rich. if you've fixed that issue then it should correct the problem. if it's still doing it, but not as much you may have fixed half your problem.

the cel will help lead you down the right path. don't just reset the ecu without finding out what it is first.

yeah i tried to do the home check on my CEL but it didnt work, i found my connecter and everything and looped a wire through it but the CEL never started flashing. i have a guy that will run the codes on it officially, but he wants $25 for it. i guess it would be a good investment though

scttydb411
12-23-2007, 10:16 AM
you probably didn't reach the contacts. use a paperclip and make sure you push it through the holes closest to the bottom of the plug (opposite from the release tab).

Mr. Clean
12-23-2007, 10:05 PM
you probably didn't reach the contacts. use a paperclip and make sure you push it through the holes closest to the bottom of the plug (opposite from the release tab).

yeah i jammed a paper clip in there and i tried some wire, i put the in the contacts but the light just never started flashing, i think this car has some SERIOUS wiring issues, i think its been hacked and spliced quite a bit