PDA

View Full Version : What would be a good set up for me?

blackDAHLIA
12-19-2007, 08:28 AM
I have a suv and i want to put a sub in there. I listen to alot of metal and rock. Im not looking for something crazy loud. What would ya'll recomend? anyone have a set up like that? i was thinking maybe one 10 or 12 with a small amp?

BABY J
12-19-2007, 08:31 AM
Year, make, model, current (factory) speaker setup. We need details. We also need what budget (roughly). I am a fan of replacing the factory speakers 1st, and a good deck.

Logan
12-19-2007, 09:04 AM
Maybe a set of Ascendent Audio assasin 8's or 10's.

Cheap and quality.

blackDAHLIA
12-19-2007, 09:59 PM
not sure what speakers. its a 03 ford escape. budget... pretty cheap

SixSquared
12-20-2007, 07:51 AM
I used to run a pair of 12s in my explorer... it already had the factory upgraded sound system or whatever because it was an eddie bauer. I used to be a fan of big bass sound, but here recently my friend has been showing me all about *good* audio... crystal clear sound that is as clear and balanced at low decibels as at high. His setup is mind blowing...

But here's something to think about... it takes 12 feet for a bass wave to mature. Meaning it forms, peaks, and dies in 12 feet. If you have 12 feet of interior space (or more), then you will have less feedback issues. Since you mentioned driving an escape, I don't think you have 12 feet of space, which means if you put subs in the back, they will be coming up, hitting the dash/front of the car, and then reverbing back into themselves, which is gonna give you warped sound/reverb problems. The way to combat that is to keep your sub size smaller. The deeper the bass, the longer the soundwave it creates. I would stick to 8s or 10s. Also, you said you listen to a lot of metal and rock. Those are both musical styles, as you know, that don't rely on bass (like hip hop and techno), which means you should concentrate on upgrading your whole system, not just the subs. :)

BABY J
12-20-2007, 09:13 AM
Replace the factory speakers w/ good units - ud be suprised what kind of sound syou can get when it's imaged and staged properly. You really do not NEED a sub.

SixSquared
12-21-2007, 06:06 AM
^^Word. If you're after balanced sound, then you should only be looking at bigger subs when your mids and highs are sounding unbalanced (like someone turned the treble all the way up) and you need more lows in. Subs are generally cheaper than upgrading your components, but you feel like an ass driving around with this bass that's going for days and you can't hear wtf is going on in the song because it's all being drowned out by bass.

SixSquared
12-21-2007, 06:07 AM
Cheap and quality.

oxy and moron.

blackDAHLIA
12-21-2007, 09:02 AM
haha. thanks guys. helped alot.

420si
12-27-2007, 09:14 PM
Yeah, it true about Baby J said, replacing the stock speakers will change a lot. I had alpine type s all around with the f250 amp and its hits as if you had a 10 inch sub it the back. In my opinion, a 10w3 will satified you for a Ford Escape. Love JL.

b16ftw
12-31-2007, 03:07 AM
umm yeah ur best bet would be getting a decent kicker 10 and a 400 watt amp if your just looking for a little extra bass

AnthonyF
12-31-2007, 08:59 AM
pm'd

Allstar3.8T
01-02-2008, 01:12 PM
Buy the best amp you can afford, build the best enclosure you can as a small sealed, and the speaker brand won't matter as much.

Allstar3.8T
01-02-2008, 01:25 PM
But here's something to think about... it takes 12 feet for a bass wave to mature. Meaning it forms, peaks, and dies in 12 feet. If you have 12 feet of interior space (or more), then you will have less feedback issues.

Good point, but it's not an exact science. Some drivers are designed to have a shorter or longer wave length. 12 ft is accurate for some subs, but it'd be a % of whats available to consumers. Some 10s may do it, some 12s , 15s may... And the enclosure will effect that as well. You are not wrong exactly, so understand that I appreciate where you are going in theory, but this sounds more like basic application, factory system plus a small amp and sub. You and I may be able to calculate speaker needs and enclosure design from Theile small parameters, but thats 1,000 steps farther than this topic is going.
I rep you for trying to lead the masses with theory.

odie22
01-03-2008, 01:07 AM
iam a big fan of JL audio maybe that could help u. kicker is also great...