View Full Version : Bill Parcel considering Blanks Offer

Leisa
12-19-2007, 07:33 AM
Parcells considering Falcons' offer
Former coach would assume position higher than McKay

By STEVE WYCHE
The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Published on: 12/19/07

Atlanta Falcons owner Arthur Blank has offered former New York Giants and Dallas Cowboys coach Bill Parcells a top football decision-making job with the franchise, a high-ranking team official confirmed Tuesday night.

Parcells, an analyst with ESPN, is weighing the offer and could come to a decision by Wednesday, the team official said.

The position would trump the authority held by current president and general manager Rich McKay, who could remain with the franchise but be stripped of any decision-making powers with the football team. Instead, McKay would run the business side of the organization - if he decided to stay with the Falcons.

McKay did not return a message left on his cell phone.

Should Parcells, 66, decline the job, it is unknown whether McKay would remain with the Falcons in light of the developments. Regardless of whether Parcells takes the job, sweeping changes are expected in the football personnel office, the team official said.

It is not known who Parcells would name as head coach but he is said to have a list of candidates, the team official confirmed.

The pursuit of Parcells comes a week after Bobby Petrino abruptly resigned as head coach to take the head-coaching job at the university of Arkansas. Petrino's departure set the wheels in motion for Blank to try to find his third head coach since he purchased the team in 2002.

Jim Mora, who was fired New Year's Day 2007 after three seasons, and Petrino, were coaches recommended to Blank by McKay. Blank said at a press conference following Petrino's resignation that his next football move would be in the best interest of the franchise and he declined to say that McKay's role would remain the same.

McKay said that he is always concerned about his job security but his future with the Falcons has been under far more scrutiny this past year as the team has fallen to 3-11 amid quarterback Michael Vick's dogfighting scandal and disharmony between players and Petrino before Petrino's abrupt departure.

Though ransacked by injuries, McKay's evaluation of personnel has come into question as several free-agent acquisitions - Ed Hartwell, Jason Webster, Ike Reese, Joe Horn, Ovie Mughelli - have not made the splash that was expected when they were signed to big money deals.

Blank initially reached out to former Pittsburgh Steelers head coach Bill Cowher to gauge his interest in taking the head coaching job but Cowher, who resigned after the 2006 season, said he planned to stay out of coaching until 2008 at the earliest.

Parcells, who won two Super Bowls with the New York Giants and has led the New England Patriots, New York Jets and Cowboys to the playoffs resigned as Dallas's coach after last season, his fourth with the team. He has said since that he did not plan to coach again, however, that option could remain a possibility.

There have been reports that he would get back into the NFL in a management capacity and that he has had conversations with the Miami Dolphins about a front office role.

Ironically, Parcells last boss was Dallas owner Jerry Jones. Jones contacted Blank less than two weeks ago to inform him that that Arkansas, his alma mater, was interested in hiring Petrino. Blank said that he and Jones have a very amicable relationship. There is the likelihood that Jones could have provided Blank some counsel regarding Parcells.

As a coach, Parcells held significant control over personnel and he has revamped teams quickly. His authoritative style has led to clashes with players and some team officials but his record of success has overshadowed his domineering persona.

Parcells departure from New England in 1996 came after disagreements with team owner Robert Kraft about how much input Parcells could have over player personnel.

BKgen®
12-19-2007, 07:46 AM
good luck. he didn't get Dallas to any superbowls...

Leisa
12-19-2007, 07:47 AM
I would rather have Bill Cowart as the coach though

Sammich
12-19-2007, 07:49 AM
x2 he can put together a team like a mofo son

Brett
12-19-2007, 08:40 AM
Is Bill on the market? I know Bill Parcel will go after him if he is interested. I guess you can say buh bye to McKay!!

1000cckiller
12-19-2007, 08:44 AM
falcons still suck cawk.

Leisa
12-19-2007, 08:56 AM
falcons still suck cawk.

from what I hear so do you, but we still talk to you!

Kelly
12-19-2007, 09:14 AM
Interesting...

ATL86
12-19-2007, 09:34 AM
Chris Mortensen just reported that he's announcing his acceptance of the job by 3pm today.

---------------------------
Bill Parcells said Wednesday that he likely will accept the Atlanta Falcons (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/clubhouse?team=atl)' offer to become the team's vice president of football operations.

"I'm pretty sure I'm going to do it. [Owner] Arthur [Blank] and I have had some pretty constructive discussions. I basically will oversee the football operations. We'll meet today -- not in Atlanta -- and work out some of the final details but I don't think there's any deal breakers here," Parcells said.

1000cckiller
12-19-2007, 09:53 AM
from what I hear so do you, but we still talk to you!well if you have a cawk, I must have been sucking yours. As I remember it was the opposite, you were sucking mine and it sucked.

con
12-19-2007, 10:01 AM
they need all the help they can get.....

OneSlow5pt0
12-19-2007, 10:04 AM
good...now we need to release every player and start over

Fast Shadow
12-19-2007, 05:19 PM
Parcells bailed on Atlanta and is now going to the Dolphins.

Brett
12-19-2007, 08:31 PM
Maybe he is related to Petrino? lol

Kelly
12-19-2007, 09:33 PM
Yeah, I got the Falcons text saying Blank said he will not be joining the team.

Hmmm

Brett
12-19-2007, 09:44 PM
Cause before us he was talking to Miami and they came back today with a better deal.

Alan®
12-19-2007, 09:48 PM
Falcons are basically fawked for the next three years

OneSlow5pt0
12-19-2007, 10:11 PM
i hate blank......

Vayda
12-19-2007, 10:15 PM
I went to school with McKay's niece. she lived about four doors down from me.