PDA

View Full Version : Need Suggestions for my S4!!!!

DavidTB8889
12-17-2007, 12:45 PM
Ok, i have another issue i have to deal with, the S4 has 120k, APR chip, catback, and many other little engine mods on it but stlll has the original turbos. I think the seals are going bad on the turbos because i smell oil everytime the car hits boost. My question is should just replace the K03's, upgrade to K04's, or do a custom set up, maybe even a big single turbo.

IDEAS!!!!!

Thanks
David

wantboost
12-17-2007, 01:01 PM
did you happen to race a mirage, awhile back?

foety_foe
12-19-2007, 10:26 AM
Ok, i have another issue i have to deal with, the S4 has 120k, APR chip, catback, and many other little engine mods on it but stlll has the original turbos. I think the seals are going bad on the turbos because i smell oil everytime the car hits boost. My question is should just replace the K03's, upgrade to K04's, or do a custom set up, maybe even a big single turbo.

IDEAS!!!!!

Thanks
David

get a pair of K04's and get them installed right. get a nice intercooler and maybe some forged pistons. after those mods your S4 would be a beast. you would prob spent a major load of dough but i think it would be worth it. now if your trying to save money just get some stock k03's from ebay and get those installed.

4dmin
12-19-2007, 09:21 PM
you should talk to HUGO on here for options, i would suggest K04 + GIAC

Four Door LS Vtec
12-20-2007, 04:55 PM
You are coming into this at a great time as there are many options out right now for our cars. It really depends on how much power you want to make and how much you can afford.

Option 1: RS6 Turbos
AWE(GIAC), VAST, and ASP have all just released or about to release their RS6 turbo kits. These kits will put you in the 550whp range, but expect to spend anywhere from 7k-8k for parts only. Also take into account that you'll need the supporting modifications such as downpipes, clutch, flywheel, and other items.

Option 2: K04's
This is a great option as there are many tuners out there with many options. Expect numbers in the 400whp range if you do it right, and get the supporting mods again. Remember upgrading later to different turbos means another engine pull... and at the moment the tuners are not selling the RS6's turbos unless you purchase the rest of the package. Expect to spend 6k-7k to get a basic k04 setup and more with the supporting mods.

Option 3: GT28 Turbo setup

There are a few of these options out there from Vast, or ASP. Expect to pay 10-13k for these kits and numbers in the 600+ wheel horsepower range. Also expect to build the entire motor, (rods, gaskets, clutch, flywheel, manifolds, and downpipes.) This option.

You can't expect too much help with the RS6 turbo's or GT turbos locally because they are a pretty new package. K04 support is more ready. I did my own K04 install on my S4 and have been happy with it. Currently making 420 whp 420 ft/lbs. Different tuners make power different ways, and there is a ton of information out there.

Remember that if you don't install it yourself you'll probably be paying $2000-$3000 labor. Not to mention the fact that when you pull these motors apart all the little plastic pieces like to break. Factor in O2 sensor cost, EGT sensor cost, and those other items that like to fail on these cars and you'll get a pretty accurate number as far as cost goes.

phew... all that said I'm happy with K04's. Had the RS6 turbos been available when i went stage 3 a couple years ago i may have gone with them. But then again money was more of a factor back then.

join us in the southeast forum on www.audiworld.com . i go by four door there. let me know if you have more questions.

DavidTB8889
12-22-2007, 12:46 PM
alright, i probably should have listed mods that i already have done to the engine, so here they are...

APR Chip :yes:
MTM catback
710N's
Snub Mounts

but i order the parts yesterday

I went with K04's and a South Bend Stage 3 OFE clutch kit, and the car is going to Eurotech for the work.

DavidTB8889
12-22-2007, 12:50 PM
did you happen to race a mirage, awhile back?

yes i did and i beat him with bad turbo seals and a slipping clutch, so if someone told you different they are wrong, because i have heard that ppl are saying he beat me... i actually am good friends with him and he will tell you that i beat him

Four Door LS Vtec
12-22-2007, 03:31 PM
well... i wish i could have given you a little more advice sooner and helped save you a lot of money and time. check out the holiday sales from the big tuners. cheapest you'll get a set of k04's for right now is about $1900.

good luck with eurotech.

DavidTB8889
12-23-2007, 12:07 AM
yeah i got the turbos for $1950 from Achtuning in Washington and the Stage 3 South Bend Clutch kit from Avalon Motorsports in Denver for just under $700, so it wasnt as much as i expected

wantboost
12-23-2007, 02:17 PM
yes i did and i beat him with bad turbo seals and a slipping clutch, so if someone told you different they are wrong, because i have heard that ppl are saying he beat me... i actually am good friends with him and he will tell you that i beat him
calm down kid, i just was wondering if that was you........

Brown Man
12-23-2007, 04:41 PM
yo david, instead of buying 2 ko4 turbos buy 3, so that you can do this crazy set up that involves a really fast s4 and a quick jetta...

GP 007
12-24-2007, 01:09 PM
I would say go to the K04 upgrade. For the cost to benefit you're going to do a lot better than if you went full Stage 3.

By the way love the color!

DavidTB8889
12-25-2007, 12:37 AM
calm down kid, i just was wondering if that was you........

no im not mad i had just heard from ppl that someone said that, i wasnt accusing you or anything...