PDA

View Full Version : big screens

Eli
07-31-2005, 12:03 AM
alright, so im moving tomorrow into my new place and need a new tv for my family room. was going to get another 32" or something but decided its not that much more to just get a big screen (like a 51" or so).

anyone have some recommendations? dont wanna break the bank, hopefully can buy somewhere with no interest payments (circuit city has 18 months no interest right now).

hdtv isnt important to me but it seems they all come with it, i have digital cable (well it gets hooked up monday). dunno about other features i need or dont need.

thanks for any input!

Leisa
07-31-2005, 12:04 AM
Best Buy usually has nice ones for about a grand... go check it out

Eli
07-31-2005, 12:06 AM
havent been to best buy in person yet, nothing online caught my eye in the price range, and the fact i hate best buy with a passion, hahaha

thanks tho, im still gonna check it out. anyone know how much delivery would be?

Leisa
07-31-2005, 12:07 AM
you also might wanna check out hhgregg... they are awesome..... and fyi currently bestbuy is having free shipping....

Julio
07-31-2005, 12:09 AM
BEST BUY is the spot man...

Deaf Pimp
07-31-2005, 12:12 AM
The twiny twins got their big screen at Best Buy. $2200 got them the Toshiba HDTV 52". Very nice TV, nice picture. Quite honestly the thing weighed 80lbs, so I wouldn't worry about delivery. There is not a whole lot for $1000 unless its the older technology that weighs 200lbs.

I guess what you need to think about is move-out day. Would you want to lift a 200lb TV or an 80lb one?

Eli
07-31-2005, 12:19 AM
The twiny twins got their big screen at Best Buy. $2200 got them the Toshiba HDTV 52". Very nice TV, nice picture. Quite honestly the thing weighed 80lbs, so I wouldn't worry about delivery. There is not a whole lot for $1000 unless its the older technology that weighs 200lbs.

I guess what you need to think about is move-out day. Would you want to lift a 200lb TV or an 80lb one?

Well, $2200 is more than i wanna spend- that much and im going to buy a better bike than im lookin at ... haha...

And as far as move out day- tomorrow is move IN day and move out day hopefully wont be for a few years at least, im on the 6 year plan at my school :D

Leisa
07-31-2005, 12:21 AM
go to best buy.. or hhgregg

NzProjeKt
07-31-2005, 12:24 AM
FUCK BEST BUY....
They are wayy overpriced.. Trust me, I use to work in the video department..
Frys is going to be your best bet.. I know Hi-Fi Buys has some nice high end ones... <<< probably pricey tho..

Deaf Pimp
07-31-2005, 12:30 AM
I don't know about over-priced... we shopped around a good bit and Best Buy came up with better price to feature ratio. You may see the actual markup, but doing price comparison with other places it was average.

Hi-Fi has some nice ones, but you are correct... a lot of higher end stuff. I think the cheapest one I saw there was about $4500.

Boosted S60R
07-31-2005, 12:39 AM
Eli I am off tommorow but give me a call on monday I will hook you up for cheap!!

Ex_Vtec_Girl
07-31-2005, 12:47 AM
we just bought a 51" hitachi from circuit city around christmas time last year. we shopped everywhere...best buy didn't have anything for a decent price with good quality. hifi buys had nice tv's, but like a few others already said, they were higher end with higher prices. we tried hhgregg, but always have horrible customer service every time we got there. not to mention the fact that we got the same tv from circuit city for about $300 cheaper than hhgregg was selling it for.

my mom just got rid of a 52" sony that was a little cheaper than mine, but it was really nice & my dad has a 48" toshiba that has a great picture, but it was a little more expensive. i've been completely happy with my hitachi (besides the fact that it's too big for my living room). the picture is great, especially on the hd channels & it has more options than i know what to do with...i don't even know what most of them do.

5thgcelica
07-31-2005, 01:17 AM
fry's electronics.... dunno if thye have sales..but..its worht a shot..and plus..its just fun to screw around there for hours on end.

mp5o
07-31-2005, 01:47 AM
Fry's electronics is the shit. Try them.... "The best buys are always at fry's!".... Or something like that.

collins
07-31-2005, 08:16 AM
i do like fry's. i cant stand best buy. now i know that didnt contribute a damn thing to the thread, but hey. sue me. good luck finding a good tv eli!

Crowml
07-31-2005, 08:27 AM
never heard of Frys, where are they?

Here's the skinny: HDTV will be the standard in 4 years. Buy yourself an HDTV capable DLP and you should be set. These should be in your price range, though I would aim more for a 48". Lines of resoltion and type of projection is all hogwash unless you're going into the big money. So just find one that has a picture to your liking.

Try this link to learn more about DLPs
http://www.dlp.com/home_entertainment/default.asp?bhcp=1

Eli
08-01-2005, 07:22 PM
Thanks everyone...

Things changed when I actually moved in and realized that a big screen would be insane for the size of my apartment, I ended up buying something smaller.

Ended up a buying a flat front Philips 32" TV. It was a great deal, exactly what I wanted. Never had a Philips before but I refused to buy another Sony and spend more for the name just to have it break like my others.

BufordŽ
08-01-2005, 07:55 PM
Nice choice.

DemonEyez
08-02-2005, 02:44 AM
/shrugs i got a sony hdtv 51" for 1500 i believe it was like 3 months ago.

AtifSajid
08-02-2005, 07:02 AM
I got some deals on 42" Plasma's, but I usually dont post them here cause there aint no big ballers on here...lol

threehundred
08-02-2005, 07:09 AM
I paid 1418 for a 57" Hitachi widescreen at Circuit City