PDA

View Full Version : Misc bobby patrino quit.

Leadfoot_mf
12-11-2007, 05:13 PM
left to go to Arkansas.

blackDAHLIA
12-11-2007, 05:26 PM
HOORAAAAAYYY!!!!!!!!!!

HalfBaked
12-11-2007, 05:32 PM
I would have left as well.

He took the job to coach the falcons to coach a Mike Vick team, I would have left as well.

XLR8NMR2
12-11-2007, 05:33 PM
so wait...he wen't back to the NCCA??

Deke
12-11-2007, 05:36 PM
Rock on. I wouldn't want to coach an NFL team either.

HalfBaked
12-11-2007, 05:37 PM
so wait...he wen't back to the NCCA??
Yup.

OneSlow5pt0
12-11-2007, 05:47 PM
god that means the falcons are worse than the dolphins

XLR8NMR2
12-11-2007, 05:54 PM
god that means the falcons are worse than the dolphins

no.

the dolphins have yet to win a game and we have won three.

OneSlow5pt0
12-11-2007, 05:58 PM
no.

the dolphins have yet to win a game and we have won three.

but they still have a coach

Nittanys1
12-11-2007, 06:01 PM
he didn't just quit he straight walked out!

Hulud
12-11-2007, 06:28 PM
petrino with an E, tim

Spectic Tank
12-11-2007, 08:25 PM
B*TCH MOVE IMO

When you sign a contract you should be committed to that team...star QB or not. Seems like he just gave up, I mean he didn't even finish a season.

ShooterMcGavin
12-11-2007, 08:30 PM
damn, i wouldn't have minded if tech had gotten him. smart move on his part though, never did get the players on his side.

blackDAHLIA
12-11-2007, 08:45 PM
wonder who the new coach will be???

OneSlow5pt0
12-11-2007, 08:59 PM
damn, i wouldn't have minded if tech had gotten him. smart move on his part though, never did get the players on his side.

x2...wish tech would waited longer

BKgen®
12-11-2007, 09:03 PM
lol bring back Dan Reeves.

HyPer50
12-11-2007, 09:21 PM
Eh, in someways I can't be upset at him. Namely because when he signed up for this team, it was an IDEAL job, you get to coach a high promise team, with a great owner, in a big football town (bandwagon, but still..), plus you get to coach one of the biggest talents in the NFL in Vick... Ya, that all went away shortly after he signed the deal. I wish him luck at Arkansas, I think it'll be a much better fit for him.. I just hope Blank can throw out some big bucks to draw in a big name, like Cowher (oh god PLEASE) but I don't think there is enough money in the world to attract a big named coach to this team as it sits.. But I can still hope.

Nemesis
12-11-2007, 09:22 PM
w00t

VIP Style
12-11-2007, 09:30 PM
man you know what, petrino came to ATL thinking he was gone coach vick, when it got crazy, he bailed out.

Hulud
12-11-2007, 09:49 PM
well when you lose the person you are intended to coach for, then players undermine you

of course if someones gonna offer you money you will leave

BB6dohcvtec
12-11-2007, 11:32 PM
straight ***** move.....oh well he is taking a Arkansas team who will more than likely be losing DMC to the draft.

HalfBaked
12-12-2007, 01:03 AM
I'd rather coach an Arkansas team without McFadden then a Falcon's team without Vick.

Deke
12-12-2007, 01:21 AM
I'd rather coach an Arkansas team without McFadden then a Falcon's team without Vick.

Quoted for truthiness

BB6dohcvtec
12-12-2007, 01:27 AM

true but he also won't have felix jones or marcus monk and a lack of recruits so he will more than likely have the same type year he had this season with the falcons. and do you think his drop back and bomb the ball every down offense will work in the SEC like it did at louisville?

Kelly
12-12-2007, 07:37 AM
w00t

OMG your sig is awesome!

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Nemesis again.

Kelly
12-12-2007, 07:38 AM
And I wish we had good ole Dan back. :(

Hulud
12-12-2007, 07:44 AM
Quoted for truthiness
ok Colbert

Kelly
12-12-2007, 07:45 AM
Interesting... http://www.atlantafalcons.com/media_library/Videos/NFL_Network/2007/12/NFL_Network_Deangelo_Hall_Interview_-_12-11-07.aspx

And From The AJC:

Falcons cornerback DeAngelo Hall has never been one to bite his tongue, and he had plenty to say late Tuesday following former coach Bobby Petrino's introduction at the University of Arkansas.

After witnessing Petrino's news conference on television, Hall said he grew angrier and his already frosty feelings toward Petrino grew colder.

"He had ulterior motives," Hall said in an interview on ESPN's

SportsCenter. "He came to this great franchise for a stepping stool to where he wanted to be and that's a better college job."

"He came here, lied to a great man in Arthur Blank. He lied to Rich McKay .... it's Coach Petrino's loss."

Hall added, "If I saw him in the street I wouldn't have anything to say to him. I don't have any respect for him. He turned his back on the organization."

Kelly
12-12-2007, 08:03 AM
REALISTIC COACHING CANDIDATES
(i took this off of one of the threads on the falcons forum)

Vic Carucci has a pretty good list of coaches on NFL.com that may be looking for a new team next year. Before I review them here, let me repeat what Rod Woodson said on NFLTA: "Atlanta needs a leader of Men. Not an offensive coordinator or a defensive coordinator, but someone who can lead 53 Men." I think he hit the nail on the head there. Consider that when reviewing this list (names are Carucci's, comments are mine).

Brian Billick (Ravens) - He's had a long tenure with Balt (loyalty Blank likes) and is a leader of men (remember his speech about going into the Lion's Den with a spear!)

John Fox (Panthers) - Another long tenure guy, but I doubt this one. Funny how they mention that 10weeks after his injury Delhomme still leads the Panthers with 8 TD passes.

Marvin Lewis (Bengals) - Pretty good young coach to build around, but something just tells me he is not Head Coaching material. But I probably haven't watched him closely enough to say this.

Cam Cameron (Dolphins) - How did last year's offensive genius become such a disappointment? Had Sabon put the Dolphins in that much of a funk? I vote NO on C.C.

Andy Reid (Eagles) - I'd certainly be happy with this choice! He could bring his QB McNabb with him (I'd be less excited about that). This is a guy that has the long tenure that Blank is looking for (no college aspirations here) and from everyone who plays for him is a leader of Men (more in the Tony Dungy style, but still a leader).

Scott Linehan (Rams) - No.

Mike Nolan (49ers) - Looks the part in his suit and tie, but from what I'm hearing from the Alex Smith camp, I don't think he is what we need here.

Other possibilities are:

Mike Singletary - Leader of Men? You better believe it! Head Coaching experience? None. I'd be willing to take a chance on him. Plus, he was on McKay/Blank's short list last year.

Bill Cowher - Leader of Men? Hell Yes! Has said recently that he will not coach in 2008 so he can watch his daughters play sports at college. Family is very important to him which will make him a Blank-favorite.

Steve Mariucci - Leader of Men? Uh. Well, he's a great family guy. Blank has courted him for years. Plus, he was Jim Mora's mentor! Timing could be right for Blank to get his man though.

Marty Schottenheimer - Leader of Men? Yes, but he is a little off-center in the mold of a **** Vermeil (minus the crying). Successful record and available. Who knows?

Russ Grimm - Leader of Men? Yes. Head Coaching experience? None. Was on Blank's short list last year.

Jeff Fisher (Titans) - Leader of Men? Yes. Long-Term Head Coaching Experience? Yes. Do I think he'll ever leave the Titans? No.

Most people are routing for Cowher.

Kelly
12-12-2007, 08:04 AM
People on the forums keep saying Blank should hire Deion. Lol

XLR8NMR2
12-12-2007, 09:38 AM
**** YOU PETRINO! I NEVER LIKED THAT ******

1000cckiller
12-12-2007, 09:40 AM
lol bring back Dan Reeves.lolol. and then Vick in 2 years

BB6dohcvtec
12-12-2007, 10:33 AM
Petrino's been down this road before … and likely will again

By Pat Forde
ESPN.com
(Archive)

Updated: December 11, 2007

* Comment
* Email
* Print

"Petrino Named Arkansas' Head Coach

In the coming days and weeks, the disingenuous drifter will say what Arkansas fans want to hear.

He'll look at them with blank shark eyes and tell them, in a monotone voice, how excited he is to be the coach of the Razorbacks. He will tell them how impressed he is by the tradition and the fan base. He will tell them that the Southeastern Conference is the place he always wanted to coach (and that might be the one true thing he'll say, given how many times he's tried to land a job in the league).

It will be a trumped-up stump speech, as sincere as a politician's pledge to cut taxes. It will simply be the latest pack of lies in a career full of them.

But it will be what Arkansas fans want to hear, and the poor saps will be desperate to believe him. During their arduous search to replace Houston Nutt, they've been used and abused by one-fourth of the coaches in the ACC -- first Butch Davis, then Tommy Bowden, then Jim Grobe. Auburn's Tommy Tuberville flirted for a minute as well.

So hiring a guy with a 41-9 college record will get the blood pumping. But those Arkansas fans ready to embrace their new hotshot coach and his pretty ball plays need to understand one thing:

[+] Enlarge
Bobby Petrino

Joe Robbins/US Presswire

Bobby Petrino gave Louisville fans plenty of reasons to smile by going 41-9 from 2003-06.

The disingenuous drifter doesn't love you or any other fan base. He doesn't love any school or any NFL franchise. He loves himself, his playbook and his bank account.

That's it. Don't expect it to change.

Bobby Petrino will return your embrace, Hog fans. But while he's hugging you he'll be looking over your shoulder, scanning the terrain for his next hook-up.

Even in a profession rife with dishonest posturing, Petrino is singularly mercenary. Loyalty, allegiance, commitment and honesty are foreign concepts to him. It must be a sad existence.

I apologize to Alabama's Nick Saban -- last year I named him president of the Liar's Club. He's been impeached and replaced by the disingenuous drifter.

Petrino's old boss at Louisville, Tom Jurich, took the high road when asked Tuesday night about the drifter's latest change of address.

"He's a great football coach," Jurich said, adding that he spoke to Arkansas athletic director Jeff Long about Petrino last week and "said nothing to discourage him" from hiring his old coach.

But Jurich did allow that he's "not totally surprised" Petrino would move on less than a year after leaving Louisville for a $24 million contract with the Atlanta Falcons.

"He's five for five," Jurich explained.

Petrino On Move

Bobby Petrino has been on the move for 15 years, with his four-year stint in Louisville the longest.

Year

Place

Role
1983 Carroll Grad. asst.
1984 Weber St. Grad. asst.
1985-86 Carroll Off. coord./QB/WR
1987-88 Weber St. WR/TE coach
1989 Idaho QB coach
1990-91 Idaho Off. coord./QB
1992-93 Arizona St. QB coach
1994 Nevada Off. coord./QB
1995-97 Utah St. Off. coord./QB
1998 Louisville Off. coord./QB
1999-2000 Jacksonville (NFL) QB coach
2001 Jacksonville (NFL) Off. coord.
2002 Auburn Off. coord./QB
2003-2006 Louisville Head coach
2007 Atlanta (NFL) Head coach
2007 Arkansas Head coach
What he meant: this is the fifth straight year Bobby Petrino has tried to get another job. Every single season he's been a head coach, he's ended it by pursuing something else.

Follow the grease stain that is the disingenuous drifter's career path:

• In 2003, his first year as a head coach at the University of Louisville, Petrino went behind the back of his employer and his onetime boss, Tuberville, to negotiate a deal replacing him at Auburn. He held a clandestine meeting across the Ohio River from Louisville in southern Indiana with Auburn officials, two days before both the Tigers and Cardinals played their final regular-season games.

It was, by any rendering, a spectacular bit of philandering by both interested parties.

Petrino lied about having any contact with Auburn officials -- until two reporters for The (Louisville) Courier-Journal confronted him with documentation of the private plane that brought the university president and athletic director into Petrino's backyard. I was one of the two reporters. And even when faced with the evidence, Petrino resisted telling the truth until Auburn issued a statement owning up to the whole affair.

Boxed into a corner, Petrino asked forgiveness and chalked it up to the inexperience of a "young coach." Louisville forgave him because he was 9-3 and his offense blew up scoreboards.

It wouldn't be the last time Petrino toyed with the school's loyalties, or the last time he was forgiven for doing so.

• In 2004, Petrino interviewed for the Notre Dame job and had discussions with Florida and Mississippi about their jobs. Then, on Dec. 7, he pledged his loyalty to Louisville.

"I want to make it clear that I'm not interested in any other coaching jobs, and am happy at the University of Louisville," Petrino said. "… I'm very excited about our move into the Big East, the opportunity to play in a BCS bowl game and the chance to compete for a national championship. [School president] Dr. James Ramsey and Tom Jurich, through their hard work and dedication, have made this the best job in the country. As I've stated before, Louisville is the perfect place to raise a family and I plan for all four of my children to graduate from high school in Louisville."

On Dec. 21, Petrino signed an enhanced contract to stay with the Cardinals.

On Dec. 26 -- well before the Petrino children had graduated from high school -- he interviewed with LSU to replace Saban. On Jan. 1, 2005, when it became obvious that he'd lost out to Les Miles, Petrino pulled out of consideration.

On the inside, several Louisville administrators were disappointed they had to keep him. They were sick of the game -- but there was no firing a guy who just went 12-1.

[+] Enlarge
Bobby Petrino

Rex Brown/Getty Images

Bobby Petrino lost more games (10) in a partial NFL season than he did in four full seasons as a college head coach.

• In 2005, Petrino interviewed with the Oakland Raiders. That's after telling people for years that he had no interest in coaching the pros -- college was where he wanted to be. He ultimately turned down the job and professed his commitment to the Cardinals again.

• On July 13, 2006, Petrino signed a 10-year contract worth up to $25 million -- a staggering deal for a school of Louisville's modest football heritage and fan base. The day he signed it, Petrino vowed again that Louisville was home. He made a point of insisting that a $1 million buyout provision be put into the contract, putting his money where his dissembling mouth is.

"We did want to make a statement," the disingenuous drifter said that day about the buyout. "… I wanted to make sure everyone understood -- I know I've said it -- that this is where I want to be, where my family wants to be. But I want everyone to really believe it."

Sure, he wanted everyone to believe it. Not because it was true, of course. Just because he was tired of answering questions about his wandering eye.

Five months later, he was gone to Atlanta.

Even this time around, there have been recent pronouncements of commitment to the task at hand and the people who write his checks.

On Nov. 26, Petrino told the Associated Press that he was staying in Atlanta. "I haven't given it [college coaching vacancies] one bit of thought," he said.

Shockingly, that didn't hold up, either.

Early in his career, Rick Pitino was famously called Larry Brown on training wheels. Petrino isn't Larry Brown on training wheels; he's Larry Brown in a Maserati.

The good news for Arkansas is that it might be the last school willing to give this guy anything more than what he deserves: a one-year contract and a monitoring device on his ankle. The NFL certainly will never give him another chance as a head coach, not after fleeing with three games left in the season and undercutting an owner like Arthur Blank. And every college in the country should know by now how fickle Petrino can be.

Even in what appears to be a major rebuilding year for the Hogs in 2008, I predict Petrino will do better than expected. He's that good as a coach -- for my money, the best offensive game-planner and tactician since Steve Spurrier's heyday at Florida. That will be a welcome dynamic at a school that struggled to diversify its offense beyond Darren McFadden and Felix Jones the past two years.

But a little success can be a dangerous thing. It might tempt some deluded and desperate school to offer Bobby Petrino a job -- and that's a temptation the disingenuous drifter is powerless to resist."

hope arkansas fans have fun with that piece of **** coach and pray he doesn't for a .500 season with that gimmick offense.

Nomad!
12-12-2007, 11:05 AM
REALISTIC COACHING CANDIDATES

Bill Cowher - Leader of Men? Hell Yes! Has said recently that he will not coach in 2008 so he can watch his daughters play sports at college. Family is very important to him which will make him a Blank-favorite.

Most people are routing for Cowher.
That would be more weird than Parcells coaching the Cowboys

OneSlow5pt0
12-12-2007, 11:55 AM
i say we hire the juice

blackDAHLIA
12-12-2007, 03:00 PM
FLOWERY BRANCH, Ga. -- The first step in closing out the 2007 season after the abrupt resignation of Bobby Petrino as Falcons head coach took shape early Wednesday afternoon. Veteran coach and Hall of Fame candidate Emmitt Thomas will lead Atlanta through its final three regular season games, the team announced.

Thomas, 64, has coached both sides of the ball during stops with six NFL teams.

A 28-year NFL coaching veteran, Thomas is serving in his sixth season on the Falcons coaching staff. He was named Atlanta’s secondary coach in his first year with the Falcons (2002) and served as the senior defensive assistant and secondary coach for the Falcons from 2004-2006. Thomas has had three stints as a defensive coordinator in the NFL. His first came with the Philadelphia Eagles (1995-98) followed by the Green Bay Packers in 1999 and Minnesota from 2000-01.

"Emmitt has earned the respect of every player on our team," said Falcons Owner and CEO Arthur Blank. "Our players will work hard for Emmitt, with Hue Jackson calling plays on offense, Mike Zimmer continuing to coordinate the defense, and Jerry Rosburg coordinating on special teams."

Thomas is perhaps best known for his time as a player.

He played in 181 NFL games, including Super Bowls I and IV, and was selected to play in five Pro Bowls. Thomas owns two Super Bowl rings as an assistant coach (Washington Redskins, Super Bowl XXII and XXVI) and one as a player (Kansas Chiefs IV). Thomas finished his career with 58 interceptions, including one in Super Bowl IV against Minnesota, which is the ninth-most ever in NFL history and he led the League in interceptions twice in a single-season. He is a member of the Chiefs Hall of Fame and his name is etched on the walls at Arrowhead Stadium. Thomas is a finalist of the Veterans' Committee for the Pro Football Hall of Fame this year.

HyPer50
12-12-2007, 06:46 PM
Man, after watching the press conference from last night, dude is a complete ****ing snake... He maybe a good football coach, but to be able to talk in front of a crowd about plans for this new job less than 24 hours after you were on the field "coaching" another team... What a snake man.

Kelly
12-13-2007, 08:48 AM
A long, but good read:

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/7556754

Nemesis
12-13-2007, 08:54 AM
WOW

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3vfw2DVSRjQ

{X}Echo419
12-13-2007, 12:08 PM
well when you lose the person you are intended to coach for, then players undermine you

of course if someones gonna offer you money you will leave
indeed. I can see both sides to this. everyone's better off in the long run.....well, except the Falcons. their still the Falcons.

{X}Echo419
12-13-2007, 12:12 PM
they need a BIG name coach. not somebody to try and build his career with the Falcons. that's failed every time they've tried.