PDA

View Full Version : s13 fuel problem?

Gkyaun
12-11-2007, 02:33 PM
Hey guys, i have a 1990 S13 and im having some issues that i think might be related to the fuel system. Over the past few weeks, my car has become increasingly harder to start. When it does, i can smell a good amount of unburned fuel in the exhaust. Today when i went to start it, it barely came on, then everytime i let the clutch out, or was sitting in neutral, the motor would just stop running, and id have to roll start through the intersection. I had about a half a tank of gas in there at the time. Any ideas on what the problem might be?

Thanks.

1gDSM
12-12-2007, 03:46 AM
you might need a car that works :tongue1:

jk man.

it sounds like you need a new fuel pump or you have a clogged fuel filter

Gkyaun
12-12-2007, 04:18 PM
thanks, yeah i was thinking the fuel pump, i just wanted someone else's opinon before i start tearing things apart and buying new parts.

SpecV_Scott
12-14-2007, 12:35 AM
Sounds more like the alternator is going bad. Go to Autozone, they'll test it for free...and check your battery while you're at it.

JDMirza
12-15-2007, 01:30 PM
Sounds more like the alternator is going bad. Go to Autozone, they'll test it for free...and check your battery while you're at it.
:offtopic: I believe. Lol. If you smell unburnt fuel then your running way too rich, do you have black smog leaving the tip of your exhaust ?

or.

Link a fuel pressure tester, check to see what the fuel pressure is showing. If the fuel pressure regulator is bad it can cause the fuel pressure to be high and have the engine run way too rich.

Gkyaun
12-16-2007, 05:45 PM
:offtopic: I believe. Lol. If you smell unburnt fuel then your running way too rich, do you have black smog leaving the tip of your exhaust ?

or.

Link a fuel pressure tester, check to see what the fuel pressure is showing. If the fuel pressure regulator is bad it can cause the fuel pressure to be high and have the engine run way too rich.

yes, i do have smoke right when i start the car but after about 5 seconds the is no noticeable exhaust. Ill check out the pressure then check back in.

JDMirza
12-17-2007, 05:52 PM
Alright, just post if you have any results or problems going on.

Gkyaun
12-18-2007, 02:46 PM
Ok, so i have good fuel pressure, checked last night. Also replaced distrubutor cap, rotor button, and spark plugs. I bought them a few months ago and forgot to install them. I tested the ignition coil, and all my cables and they all checked out fine, so i think ive pretty much ruled out the ignition system as the source of the problem. I start up the car, it takes a few seconds but it began turning under its own power quicker than it did before. Still runs really choppy, but now its blowing large volumes of white smoke out the back end, and after i shut it off, there is a trickle of white smoke that contines to come out of my tail pipe. Would this be related to the timing on the distrubutor at all? Im damn near stumped on this whole deal, and it's becoming rather irriatating.

chituntang
12-18-2007, 05:45 PM
Check timing, you can move the distributor to change the timing for some fine/lazy adjustment. Also you may want to check o2 sensor, too.