PDA

View Full Version : My HID lamp is illigal???

fininfarina
12-11-2007, 01:12 AM
Tonight me and my gf was heading to Gwinnett Arena.

was so crowded and there are many police around and one of police

officer just stop me on the road and say "is this blue light?"

I said it is Hid 6K

he said is this blue??? -_-

ok...I said yes...it is blue....sir.....................

and the officer said to me "change the bulb to white..."

he was not mad and of course was not joke either....

FINALLY I ANSWER....Yes sir.....................

just wonder...is it illegal??

because I dont want to have any ticket for stupid reason and I hate to be

pulled over.....

redrumracer
12-11-2007, 01:20 AM
no its not illegal. its only illegal to have it flashing blue or changine colors. as long as its constant no. besides plenty of cars come factory with them

3.5altman
12-11-2007, 01:34 AM
i always play dumb. if they ask about my headlights they came with the car

puregroove
12-11-2007, 01:48 AM
I've been hearing a lot lately about only factory HIDs being legal. Can someone clarify?

Crazy Asian
12-11-2007, 02:01 AM
Hard to explain this but but yes and no. They can use those illegal hid's since they come with projector headlights so that would be okay but anything in like your car or mine where we use halogen bulbs well that would be illegal.

here's a site to clarify a little more http://fmvss108.tripod.com/

Crazy Asian
12-11-2007, 02:06 AM
Also fini if your's bulb is HID and is blue then yes they are illegal and you will get a ticket no matter what. So when a cop pulls you over and notices that you'll get a fix-it ticket.

SE-Rious1
12-11-2007, 02:32 AM
no its not illegal. its only illegal to have it flashing blue or changine colors. as long as its constant no. besides plenty of cars come factory with them
yes blue and anything over 10000k is becoming illegal in most areas ..barrow,jefferson,braselton are cracking down i know 4 peps who got tickets cause of either the color or power rating is not DOT approved it sucks:no:

Alan®
12-11-2007, 03:04 AM
see i thought the limit was like 8000k cause I'm about to get some 6000k dont lexus use like 5000k

chituntang
12-11-2007, 03:33 AM
If they want to be anal, HID on non-HID equipped cars are illegal, does not matter what color it is. 6000k HID is not blue. It is call some sh*t like plasma white. As far as I know, anything over 8k (aka diamond blue) is illegal.

Oh, S2k comes with 6300k HID, which is the highest number on a stock car.

xlilvi3tx
12-11-2007, 06:32 AM
a couple of my friend have been pulled over in the gwinnett area as well. if hids are too blue it does gets illegal because my friend got some bullsh!t called distraction to others on road or some sh!t and this was up in the lawrenceville area. cops are bein more of an ass nowadays but i guess it because of the holiday season. i have 6k and i never had a problem with them

3.5altman
12-11-2007, 07:08 AM
there just bored

EJ25RUN
12-11-2007, 07:42 AM
tell him their factory, they too stupid to know any better.

SRCRX
12-11-2007, 07:56 AM
It's more is the color, I've gotten a ticket before (well a friend that was driving
my car...LoL) If your lights are not white,amber, or yellow then they have
a reason to pull you over!!

Does any one remember, the colored bulbs (rainbow if you will) that everyone use to
rock, same deal!!

Maniac1
12-11-2007, 08:12 AM
I have seen acouple cars with dark blue HID's around, having lights like that is just calling for attention. And not the good kind, my HID's are blue, but not enough to get a cop curious and pull me over. I wouldn't recommend getting 10k+ HID's, this is the 5th story I've heard about a cop pulling someone for blue lights, in Gwinnett.

AnthonyF
12-11-2007, 08:28 AM
Tonight me and my gf was heading to Gwinnett Arena.

was so crowded and there are many police around and one of police

officer just stop me on the road and say "is this blue light?"

I said it is Hid 6K

he said is this blue??? -_-

ok...I said yes...it is blue....sir.....................

and the officer said to me "change the bulb to white..."

he was not mad and of course was not joke either....

FINALLY I ANSWER....Yes sir.....................

just wonder...is it illegal??

because I dont want to have any ticket for stupid reason and I hate to be

pulled over.....

did ur lil brother type this up? lol.

technically you cannot have anything blue or red on your car. He was just a děck cop trying to get you for something. dont sweat it. leave your HID's alone. I'm running 10k and never get pulled over. And i live in braselton where the cops are the worse.

Kaiser
12-11-2007, 08:41 AM

technically you cannot have anything blue or red on your car. He was just a děck cop trying to get you for something. dont sweat it. leave your HID's alone. I'm running 10k and never get pulled over. And i live in braselton where the cops are the worse.

I doubt most cops are gonna have a temp gauge or pull your bulbs to check the rating. Tell them they're 6300k just like the ones in the Honda S2000 Roadster. If you DRIVE a Honda, you might even say you bought 'em from a Honda stealership. Just act nice and pretend that you were just trying to get some better lights than what came stock and you didn't know better. You're a lot less likely to get the ticket then next time, though he might still tell you "If I see you again with the same bulbs I'm gonna give you a ticket"

I dunno why this is a big deal. The real problem isn't a lowered car with high temperature lights. It's raised trucks that don't have their lamps re-aimed and are running illegal 6 and 8-bulb off-road patterns. Actually had a guy pull up behind me in a lifted F250 on a two lane road with me doing 10 over the limit and have his full load on. I couldn't see sh*t and my mirrors were stuck in full auto-dim. The whole time I can't even tell how far away he is. We drove past TWO Cobb County cops, neither of them did a damn thing.

AnthonyF
12-11-2007, 08:53 AM
or...i have a better idea....

when the cop comes up to you, and your being very polite and he wants to know what color they are simply ask "What Color do they look like, I am color blind" There is no way to prove that you arent. Then he will say something like "they are blue and illegal", you return with "go fůck yourself"

xlilvi3tx
12-11-2007, 09:00 AM

when the cop comes up to you, and your being very polite and he wants to know what color they are simply ask "What Color do they look like, I am color blind" There is no way to prove that you arent. Then he will say something like "they are blue and illegal", you return with "go fůck yourself"

lmao

DieselNuts
12-11-2007, 09:06 AM
What do Acura TL's and TSX's come with? I can always tell those cars apart from anything else.

cdhtang
12-11-2007, 11:56 AM
pretty sure any aftermarket hid are illegal.
Most of the stock hids are 4300k. the color you see is depends on the projector lens. If you look at the cut off line on stock projector hid, there are blue and purple on the cut off.

WhiteAccord
12-11-2007, 12:02 PM

LOL nice...:lmfao:

JDMEK18
12-11-2007, 03:51 PM
I had a stupid pig, i mean "cop" ,pull me an my wife over in my project integra.. for having tint to dark. In Jefferson by the way.. cops are just idiots up in that area.. Then he told me to roll my window down, he wanted to check my tint. then walked back to his car and asked me if i knew my tint was too dark. I told him no, i just bought the car and showed him registration.. that makes them so pissed when you have proof. So he told me "You couldn't tell the tint was too dark when you bought the car" i responded.. Did you know it was too dark when you just tested it? Okay, then!! How was i suppose to know? He told me that it should of been common since that it was too dark. I told him I thought the same thing when he pulled out the tester, Haaahaa... (You should of seen my wife's face - she was so shocked) Anyway. he searched and searched and gave me a warning for the tint and then at ticket for my license having old address, 2 years old - that was my bad but hey - i'm busy!!! I pay my taxes - get over Bush 0r Uncle Sam. I'm not going to take the ticket off until i actually get a ticket because i know the guy was being a jerk.. but I'm debating if i should get the 10K or just the 8k or even the 6k to be on the safe side. I don't have money to be paying for tickets ever week with these country piggle wiggle's..

SEAN
12-11-2007, 11:28 PM
I bet that was the same **** cop that pulled me over up there in Jefferson for my tint...he gave me a warning and went off after a pickup of illegals that went by...I have gone from 8K to 6K to 4K with my HID's over the last 3 years...cops just itching for an excuse to pull you over...

Gabe
12-11-2007, 11:35 PM
i dont know about you guys but ive been runing 12k on my car and i havent had any problems period.

burke420
12-11-2007, 11:36 PM
F*** cops! pull mew over for my HIDs too.. purp! goto hael! i dont shoot ppl..just drive slow obey laws and get for swerving to miss crapp local town roads and get a ticket for lane failure..F*** cop laws they get wet over!

steedracer
12-11-2007, 11:39 PM
cant beleve we havent heard from nitro on this. lol. but my frend just got pulled over and the let him go as well. oh and it was a barrow county cop. cant stand them.

j0nbunklah0m
12-11-2007, 11:45 PM
i dont understand why factory hid's are legal but non factory aren't..:thinking: stupid laws these days:screwy:

Crazy Asian
12-11-2007, 11:53 PM
There DOT approved. Do you know how much money is in it to get DOT approved? You have to meet specifications and what not. Like hell aftermarkets company are gonna do that.

Nitro
12-12-2007, 07:00 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yVuSSdZNsZw

OEM HID's, if installed in the factory are LEGAL. ANY aftermarket HID's are illegal for street use.

Crazy Asian
12-12-2007, 07:02 AM
NITRO SPEAKS!!!

xlilvi3tx
12-12-2007, 07:07 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yVuSSdZNsZw

OEM HID's, if installed in the factory are LEGAL. ANY aftermarket HID's are illegal for street use.

is that in the u.s?

Nitro
12-12-2007, 07:16 AM
is that in the u.s?

yupp..........see the problem is when you go into extreme colors....it brings more attention to yourself & a bored cop can harass,ticket or impound your car. :(

if you stay 6k & under.......excluding 3k........you should be fine.......12k's are ok too.....these are the color temperatures that are most common in factory installs :2cents:

Nitro
12-12-2007, 07:17 AM
NITRO SPEAKS!!!

repped LOL ;)

Crazy Asian
12-12-2007, 07:18 AM
though yours is illegal...how come I cant be like you?

antiv6
12-12-2007, 08:01 AM
i ran 8k hids on gwinnett for about 6 months with no cop trouble, havnt heard of anyone actually getting in trouble for them

Nitro
12-12-2007, 09:01 AM
some random comments...... :lmfao:

aso209 (2 days ago) Show Hide Marked as spam -1 (Reply)
Shoot that ****face guy!!!He dont know what hes saying, Drunk drivers they kill more inocent people than driving with HID light dumbass!! IDIOTS!!

3r1cK503 (3 days ago) Show Hide Marked as spam -1 (Reply)
**** that aint no illegal **** in america **** UK

squareyes1981 (4 days ago) Show Hide Marked as spam 0 (Reply)
I almost bought a set of these only because I didn't know until just in time that they were illegal. The report makes a good point but you know well that there's probably some very good companies making high quality kits in a more sensible white than the cheap, unfocuable, boy-racer blue kit they bought. The technology is superior and it's unfair to deny motorists the option of a high quality upgrade thus leaving the consumer open to the black market as the only option.

VideoJunkei (4 days ago) Show Hide Marked as spam 0 (Reply)
I have seen cars at night with this here in the states, they are VERY blue compared to normal halogen(white) and old filament lamps(yellowish).
More of a blinding problem is a big truck or suv behind you, headlights mounted high, so they glare RIGHT IN YOUR GODAMM MIRRORS all the time, even at stoplights!

robertt7747 (1 week ago) Show Hide Marked as spam 0 (Reply)
haha, i know isnt the sun brighter than these little lights?

aso209 (1 week ago) Show Hide Marked as spam -1 (Reply)
****KKKK OFFFFF!!!Just buy HID and enjoy it forget the glare shetttt...

kna0219 (1 week ago) Show Hide Marked as spam -1 (Reply)
jus another reason for da gov. com after your money...

problem could b solve...get a "projector" or aim da light bulb little lower, or get a newer or clearer headlight... old and scratch headlight tend to cause the light scatter everywer.

hid is not much of a prob. cmon wats # of accident cause by it?

if u look closely in da video, youl c da other car has a mess up headlight.

Neworleans189 (1 week ago) Show Hide Marked as spam -1 (Reply)
this pisses me the **** off WHO GIVES A **** AND THEY DO NOT CAUSE ACCIDENTS!!!!

cabuzzi (2 weeks ago) Show Hide Marked as spam +1 (Reply)
That's why you make sure to get an aftermarket headlight housing made for HIDs. I paid $140 for the housings for my Mustang, in addition to $102 for the HID conversion kit. Not a large amount compared to what you get.

Check out my HID video to see a "correct" cutoff.

Repost Squintz
12-12-2007, 09:16 AM
wheres the link to the video?

Nitro
12-12-2007, 09:20 AM
wheres the link to the video?

open yur eyez mo-fo :lmfao:

cdhtang
12-12-2007, 10:50 AM
i dont understand why factory hid's are legal but non factory aren't..:thinking: stupid laws these days:screwy:

You have to understand that the factory hid's are design to not have a glare. The glare of hid on halogen headlights will blind the upcoming traffic, I personally hate those who installed hid kits into their halogen headlight without adjusting the aiming of the light.
If you guys wanna compare, compare you halogen hid with factory hid.
Reflector headlights: older IS, GS, LS, mercedes, and many others
Projector headlights: TL, TSX, and many others.

GGPIS3
12-12-2007, 10:55 AM
see i thought the limit was like 8000k cause I'm about to get some 6000k dont lexus use like 5000k

lexus uses 4300k

GGPIS3
12-12-2007, 10:56 AM
If they want to be anal, HID on non-HID equipped cars are illegal, does not matter what color it is. 6000k HID is not blue. It is call some sh*t like plasma white. As far as I know, anything over 8k (aka diamond blue) is illegal.

exactly. any aftermarket hid kit is technically illegal. the question is how dumb is the cop that pulls you over

GGPIS3
12-12-2007, 10:58 AM
where the cops are the worse.

lol.. the cop wasn't being a ****. he was just letting the kid know that blue lights were illegal. and who are you to lol at how he writes when you can't even get your grammatical structure right. :idb:

kyx
12-12-2007, 11:04 AM
all i know dot legal hid in usa comes at 4300k at most, everything above that is illegal, but they cannot really tell if you have 5000-6000k since its a little bit more bluer. If you have a hid in a normal halogen lightning thats illegal since you are just running you high beams.

n\e on my Phillips Ultinon 6000k it says on the side, DONT USE IN USA!

josh green
12-12-2007, 11:15 AM
You people with HID's wouldnt get hastled by the cops if you would install them correctly by retrofitting a REAL projector lens, not some plastic ebay **** or nothing at all. Just search ebay and you can have a whole setup in your car and looking good for $300. Most people are just too lazy to retrofit.

AnthonyF
12-12-2007, 11:16 AM
lol.. the cop wasn't being a ****. he was just letting the kid know that blue lights were illegal. and who are you to lol at how he writes when you can't even get your grammatical structure right. :idb:

i hate u.

no1 I was referring to braselton jackass. not gwinnett. O, and good job. you pointed out that I made an error. oooooooooo your so damn witty now.

sprix!
12-12-2007, 11:40 AM
I doubt most cops are gonna have a temp gauge or pull your bulbs to check the rating. Tell them they're 6300k just like the ones in the Honda S2000 Roadster. If you DRIVE a Honda, you might even say you bought 'em from a Honda stealership. Just act nice and pretend that you were just trying to get some better lights than what came stock and you didn't know better. You're a lot less likely to get the ticket then next time, though he might still tell you "If I see you again with the same bulbs I'm gonna give you a ticket"

I dunno why this is a big deal. The real problem isn't a lowered car with high temperature lights. It's raised trucks that don't have their lamps re-aimed and are running illegal 6 and 8-bulb off-road patterns. Actually had a guy pull up behind me in a lifted F250 on a two lane road with me doing 10 over the limit and have his full load on. I couldn't see sh*t and my mirrors were stuck in full auto-dim. The whole time I can't even tell how far away he is. We drove past TWO Cobb County cops, neither of them did a damn thing.
I don't know if it has been clarified, but any non-factory HID system is INDEED illegal.
HID's in all factory cars, including the S2000, are 4300K systems. The problem with most people buying aftermarket HID systems is that they go with the 8000k and 9000k and so on, and expect that they can slide by legally. The truth of the matter is that there is a HUGE difference between 4300k and most of the "HID" systems you see, and if you install such a system on your vehicle you ought to be prepared to deal with any and all repercussions.
Police officers are not all as dumb as some think they are. Some know the law very well...

R3RUN
12-12-2007, 11:52 AM
There is a much simpler explanation for this guys. Any thing greater than the factory luminosity on your car is illegal. Nitro probably knows for sure but I'm pretty sure HID's are greater than your factory luminosity. Thus, even with a retrofit you can still get a ticket. If you can't stand the heat, get out of the headlight tampering game :)

speedminded
12-12-2007, 12:58 PM
LOLOL, find me a legitimate company that is selling aftermarket HID's. Name just one. You can't because they are all illegal in the United States. Any company caught selling aftermarket HID kits [for highway use] is subject to severe fines and/or imprisonment. This is exactly why manufactures have to resort to individual people selling them.

The point is ALL HID's that did not come as a factory option on your car are illegal, it doesn't matter the color/temp.

2shroom
12-12-2007, 01:11 PM
oh my bimmer i got pulled over for my parkin lights being clear........that sucked ass.

fatman169
12-12-2007, 03:21 PM
all hids are illegal if it is not stock on a car but they cant prove that it is not stock...so it really dont matter

Bruce Leroy
12-12-2007, 03:38 PM
I got pulled over by sea world the other day because the cop said my lights have too much glare. Not that they are to blue. But this is also the same cop that rolls through the street races looking for stolen ****, so he might have wanted to search my car for stolen ****. I do have after market projectors right now with 8000k hid. I want to do a retrofit but im broke!

eYezs1ck
12-12-2007, 04:02 PM
I say FCUK THA POLICE and get 12000k LMAO

speedminded
12-12-2007, 04:08 PM
I say FCUK THA POLICE and get 12000k LMAO12k is purple and really dim...if you want to piss people off get 4300-4800k with a non-HID lens.

hXc007
12-12-2007, 04:35 PM
ive been riding around with 8000k hid's since for as long as ive owned my rsx and ive never been stopped nor have i been pulled over for them

even when i got pulled over for an illegal turn around at night, the cop didnt say a word about my headlights

Bruce Leroy
12-12-2007, 04:39 PM
12k is purple and really dim...if you want to piss people off get 4300-4800k with a non-HID lens.

or you can get 3000k bulbs and put them in a non hid projector with no cutoffs like my friend

dp32185
12-12-2007, 05:30 PM
from which sources are you guys claiming that the s2k bulbs are 6300k?

collins
12-12-2007, 06:01 PM
LOL @all the ppl saying f*** tha police! you're knowingly breaking the law and you b!tch when you get stopped. hell NITRO, the HID king even said they're illegal... so you have no excuses.

there's a smart way and a ricer way (sorry nitro) to do hid's. if you put ANY hid in a non hid enclosure then you're asking for trouble because they do glare like a MOTHA FUCCA! i came across this s13 with the non projector jdm front end at a redlight. he was across the intersection from me and i might as well have been looking driectly at the sun because i couldn't see SH!T. i literally had to hold my hand in front of my eyes and peek around my fingers so i could see when the light changed to green. sh1t pissed me off.

the smart way to go about it is to retrofit a GOOD projector lense (as stated earlier) if you dont have a projector housing and go with a lower k. i'm running a 6000k in my factory projectors and i had my car driven toward me to ensure it wasnt obnoxious. if yours is retarded bright and/or blue/purple, most cops know thats not factory and can (and probably will) give you a ticket.

puregroove
12-12-2007, 06:09 PM
LOL @all the ppl saying f*** tha police! you're knowingly breaking the law and you b!tch when you get stopped. hell NITRO, the HID king even said they're illegal... so you have no excuses.

there's a smart way and a ricer way (sorry nitro) to do hid's. if you put ANY hid in a non hid enclosure then you're asking for trouble because they do glare like a MOTHA FUCCA! i came across this s13 with the non projector jdm front end at a redlight. he was across the intersection from me and i might as well have been looking driectly at the sun because i couldn't see SH!T. i literally had to hold my hand in front of my eyes and peek around my fingers so i could see when the light changed to green. sh1t pissed me off.

the smart way to go about it is to retrofit a GOOD projector lense (as stated earlier) if you dont have a projector housing and go with a lower k. i'm running a 6000k in my factory projectors and i had my car driven toward me to ensure it wasnt obnoxious. if yours is retarded bright and/or blue/purple, most cops know thats not factory and can (and probably will) give you a ticket.

+rep :goodjob:

Repost Squintz
12-12-2007, 06:33 PM
open yur eyez mo-fo :lmfao:
lolz i cant the hids are blinding me

AnTi-PooN
12-12-2007, 06:52 PM

thatz cuz cops hate hondas... known fact

DeeAOne
12-12-2007, 07:34 PM
pretty much what everyone else is saying but a HID bulb without the projector housing(non-HID equpped vehicles) are too bright because the projector lens isnt there to focus the light and bring the brightness down.

§treet_§peed
12-12-2007, 07:41 PM
lol **** it imma get 8k hids and 8k in my fogs if i can find good head lights for my civic lol

chituntang
12-12-2007, 09:51 PM
I read a post from the Subaru forum about HIDs. Since their car has the HID option and people likes to save a few hundred on just putting a set of aftermarket units on, they made a post about it. They had a comparison between different cars with stock hid and it stated the S2K HID are 6300/6200 (do not remember which one), which are the highest number.

But I checked S2ki forum and all of them say that S2k comes with 4300k, so IDK...

harleyweise
12-18-2007, 02:53 PM
im running 10k and have never had a problem

AnthonyF
12-19-2007, 05:51 AM
12k is purple and really dim...if you want to piss people off get 4300-4800k with a non-HID lens.

lolol owned. LMAO at people who think higher Kelvin rating = brighter light.

JDMirza
12-19-2007, 08:43 PM
You should of told him to eat a f*n doughnut, and leave you the hell alone since you were trying to get into some panties in which he has never probably gotten into.

jayjaySTI
12-19-2007, 09:00 PM
i got 6k but there blue as fock

Nitro
12-20-2007, 12:31 AM
i got 6k but there blue as fock

u have xtreme blue :D

jayjaySTI
12-20-2007, 02:35 PM
u have xtreme blue :D

how is that at only at 6k

speedminded
12-20-2007, 02:39 PM
how is that at only at 6kThe glass could be coated...

jayjaySTI
12-20-2007, 03:10 PM
The glass could be coated...

no the glass is clear:thinking:

magneto198
12-25-2007, 07:58 PM
HID on non-HID equipped cars are illegal, does not matter what color it is.

Meowth, Thats Right

Double_0_Rusty
12-25-2007, 08:20 PM
I have 7000k in my truck. never been stopped, hell I had a cop ask me where I got em, cuz he wanted some.

Mr. Clean
12-25-2007, 08:25 PM
I have 7000k in my truck. never been stopped, hell I had a cop ask me where I got em, cuz he wanted some.

hahaha... cops are ridiculous

SleeperWRX
12-26-2007, 12:25 AM
Are yellow blubs 3500K illegal

MaconPerformance
12-26-2007, 10:16 AM
I had 10k in my ek sedan and never had a problem, but I am in Macon.... Cops dont worry about that yet.

AnthonyF
12-26-2007, 10:26 AM
Are yellow blubs 3500K illegal

No. But some dumbasses like to put them into their highbeams and drive around with their BRIGHT ASS highbeams and think that just b/c they are yellow they arent illegal. BS! I hate that sh*t!

speedminded
12-27-2007, 08:06 AM
Are yellow blubs 3500K illegal3500 isn't yellow yellow, 3000k is....and yes it is illegal but you can get away with it alot easier than say illegal tint for example.

Brett
12-27-2007, 11:24 AM
To you all saying S2000's come with 6300k HIDs you are in flat out wrong, They are 4300k STOCK

Brett
12-27-2007, 11:25 AM
the S2K HID are 6300/6200 (do not remember which one), which are the highest number.

But I checked S2ki forum and all of them say that S2k comes with 4300k, so IDK...

Maki
12-27-2007, 11:48 AM
3K ftw