PDA

View Full Version : Power Mods Rebuild Or Rebuy?

nDrew
12-11-2007, 01:08 AM
So here is my story... I have a SR redtop with a T-28 turbo that was running 11psi. I ending up losing compression on cylinder number 4. At first I thought it was the cometic hg but it ended up being the piston rings gone and the piston chipping off. The walls in cylinder number 4 are now scarred. My question to you is in your opinion what you would do. I'm just really looking for suggestions because i'm not really sure of what I want to do. You might bash me by saying it's your car do whatever you want but I actually want some input. I plan on taking the bottom end to the machine shop and asking if they can even just overbore and clean it up. But i'm not sure if the gash is too deep or not. So i'm just curious if it might just be better to just buy a complete new motorset and just interchange parts than building the bottom. The reason of this is because i've had many problems with this motor and i'm just wondering if I should just start freshly over. Would you recommend building the bottomend or just starting over? I can't throw an exact price out there but keep price in mind on what you would choose. My intentions are to make between 300-350whp. I just want my car to run reliably because it hasn't ran reliably ever since I threw two rocker arms in the head from Over revving.

Current mods on the car are as follows:
Koyo Aluminum Radiator
Altima Dual Fans
ACT Street/Strip clutch
J30 Vlsd
3" turbo back
Greddy Oil Pan
Manual BC
T-28 Turbo
Intake
FMIC
ARP Headstuds

Also I just bought a Apex-i Headgasket 1.2mm

Any suggestions or opinions would be helpful.
Edit/Delete Message

patrick4588
12-11-2007, 08:57 AM
take the block to a machine shop and see if the damage is fixable. if the gash is too deep, obviously get a new motor.

speedminded
12-11-2007, 04:57 PM
Why not sleeve it? :dunno:

patrick4588
12-11-2007, 11:31 PM
eh. he's only lookin for 300whp or so. sleeving is not necessary at that level

speedminded
12-12-2007, 06:42 AM
eh. he's only lookin for 300whp or so. sleeving is not necessary at that levelbut it does a good job of fixing scarred cylinder walls ;)

BABY J
12-12-2007, 06:48 AM
just sleeve the thing

1SLWPOS
12-12-2007, 07:10 AM
A new SR cost 900 $ I don't know how u much it would cost to take it to the machine shop. But 300-350hp should be easy to hit w/ a GT28RS so I am told. Don't have the cash for a new turbo yet Nitro just took some of my turbo money yesterday for HID's. GL

speedminded
12-12-2007, 07:49 AM
A new SR cost 900 $ I don't know how u much it would cost to take it to the machine shop. But 300-350hp should be easy to hit w/ a GT28RS so I am told. Don't have the cash for a new turbo yet Nitro just took some of my turbo money yesterday for HID's. GLlol, a new SR for $900? You mean another 30-50k mile short block fresh off the boat with a nice "weathered look"?

1SLWPOS
12-12-2007, 08:31 AM
Well they did have it on there site for 900 when I bought mine a few months back. And it was the full motor. I got mine for 1800 shipped for full swap motor tranny ecu etc etc and it still runs strong after doing the swap in my driveway. Wouldn't hurt to email them and ask.

http://www.japandomesticmotor.com/engines.php?EngineCompanyName=Nissan