PDA

View Full Version : 300zx tranny gone?

DaRussian
12-10-2007, 02:37 PM
ok my dad towed a 300zx with its rear wheels on the ground and front wheels on the dolly for about 45 miles, he didnt know that i was a rwd. lol. and i just wanted to see if anybody has done that before? is my tranny F'ed?

Init2winit
12-10-2007, 03:02 PM
If its a standard trans, its fine. If its an automatic, its probably f*cked.

Z32redondo
12-10-2007, 03:10 PM
He towed yours or someone else's?

MistaCee
12-10-2007, 03:23 PM
that sucks if its an auto

DaRussian
12-10-2007, 04:31 PM
yea its an automatic

Init2winit
12-10-2007, 05:11 PM
yea its an automaticWell there isn't but one way to find out, and thats to drive it. Most likely, its ****ed though.

DaRussian
12-10-2007, 05:24 PM
Well there isn't but one way to find out, and thats to drive it. Most likely, its ****ed though.

yea what sucks is that it doesnt drive, im changing the engine on it right now, and i need to know should i go ahaed and change the tranny too? but its expensive as hell

BATMOBL
12-10-2007, 06:20 PM
he towed it in park...? or in neutral? if it was in neutral its fine. and if it was in park it woulda drug the tires the whole way making it near impossible to tow.

Init2winit
12-10-2007, 08:22 PM
he towed it in park...? or in neutral? if it was in neutral its fine. and if it was in park it woulda drug the tires the whole way making it near impossible to tow.You obviously don't know how an automatic transmission works. It is nothing like a gear box (manual transmission). A gear box is all mechanical engagement, an automatic works off of hydraulic pressure.

A gear box is lubed by the counter shaft slinging fluid throughout the transmission, much like a crankshaft's counter weights lubricate the cylinder walls, and piston pins in an engine.

The only way an automatic transmission is lubed is when the pump is turning, which only happens when the engine is running. If the pump isn't pumping, there is no fluid circulation, therefore it cooks the the planets (gears), sprags, drums, clutches, etc....

As far as it being in park, you are correct. If it was in park, it would drag the tires, and probably eventually break the parking paw, paw gear, or output shaft.

When the engine is off, it makes no difference in an automatic transmission which gear it is in for the car to roll, just as long as it isn't in park. Everything works off of hydraulics except the park function.

Init2winit
12-10-2007, 08:27 PM
yea what sucks is that it doesnt drive, im changing the engine on it right now, and i need to know should i go ahaed and change the tranny too? but its expensive as hell Pull the pan on the transmission, and see what the fluid looks like. If it isn't burnt, and if there isn't anything out of the ordinary in the pan, I'd try it. If the fluid has a burnt smell, or if there is debris in the pan, go ahead and save yourself some time and just replace it.