PDA

View Full Version : Handling Mods Wheel stud replacement.

iam99x
12-10-2007, 12:00 PM
I have a broken stud on my front left hub, I already have a replacement stud. I disassembled everything only to find out that there is no way to remove the broken stud without taking the hub to a machine shop. On other cars, I have noticed that there is a cut-out that you can line the stud up with to remove, is it unsafe to cut out a little 1/2" half circle that would allow me to remove the stud?

Thanks.

EJdm
12-10-2007, 02:16 PM
what kind of car??

TypeRPersonality
12-10-2007, 02:49 PM
Use a slide hammer to remove the hub.http://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=907985&page=1

§treet_§peed
12-10-2007, 04:30 PM
if it is just a regular car you an take a hammer and beat it out. then take it put the new oneback thru the hole and take a air impact and tighten a open end bolt and tighten the sum ***** tight as you can get it to pull it back thru. that would be the usual way to do it. i've done it about 5 or 6 times for friends and a bunch for my own lol

EJdm
12-10-2007, 08:50 PM
just did mines the other day..i used a slide hammer, afraid i mite have ruin my bearings

iam99x
12-10-2007, 08:51 PM
94' Integra. I'm going to try the slide hammer trick, although I'd like to change it without taking the hub off. So I was asking was it safe to cut a small 1/2 circle out of the part that blocks to head of the stud.

One of the very first things my instructor told us was to never put the stud through, then tighten it down. I really can't remember why, but it's not safe from what I've heard. But, that's probably what I would have done if I didn't know better.

Thanks guys.

0DISPLACMENT
12-10-2007, 09:49 PM
i just replaced all my front studs. its easy if u take the hub off. (takes like 5 minutes) and just hammer the **** out of it. then just press the new stud in. if u dont have a press then try the nut trick

iam99x
12-10-2007, 11:19 PM
On a Honda?

korilee13
12-11-2007, 12:33 AM
94' Integra. I'm going to try the slide hammer trick, although I'd like to change it without taking the hub off. So I was asking was it safe to cut a small 1/2 circle out of the part that blocks to head of the stud.

One of the very first things my instructor told us was to never put the stud through, then tighten it down. I really can't remember why, but it's not safe from what I've heard. But, that's probably what I would have done if I didn't know better.

Thanks guys.

i really dont see what it would hurt using the nut trick, i've done it a bunch of times as well and yet has it bit me in the ass. however the cutting idea doesn't sound like a good idea or safe. but hey who knows you might have figured some new trick out