PDA

View Full Version : out of state registration..

JITB
12-09-2007, 06:38 PM
How do i go about registering a car in Cali, if im still in GA..

My gf, is taking my civic to cali with her.. but its still in my name.. will i be able to register it with me not being in Cali? anyone ever do this before?

quickdodgeŽ
12-09-2007, 06:39 PM
Only if you can provide proof of residency in Cali. Utility bill or driver's license. Later, QD.

JITB
12-09-2007, 06:53 PM
Me or her?

She still has a cali license.. but i wont even be goin over there until this summer..

quickdodgeŽ
12-09-2007, 06:54 PM
If the car is in your name, then you. Later, QD.

silversol
12-09-2007, 06:56 PM
Why not just keep a ga tag on it?

JITB
12-09-2007, 07:45 PM
because in cali, they need both tags in front and back.. and from what im being told she will get pulled over real quick with just a rear tag.

RandomGuy
12-09-2007, 08:33 PM
because in cali, they need both tags in front and back.. and from what im being told she will get pulled over real quick with just a rear tag. why not just sign the title over to her, but tell her to leave it in the glove, when she gets there, get a smog test, take it to the DMV and get it registered in her name... then when you get there, register it back to your name....

I don't think you'd be able to do it without being physically over there, since they check ID. You can sometimes fly there for like 150 bux, might as well do that when she gets there and save all the hassle of transferring it and transferring it back.

Nittanys1
12-09-2007, 08:47 PM
just leave with the GA tags...if she gets pulled over its registered in Ga...they cant give her a ticket for not having a front plate... I have a friend who had Tx tags on his car in Ga for a few years! he is back in Tx now...never had to change a thing...

quickdodgeŽ
12-09-2007, 10:06 PM
..they cant give her a ticket for not having a front plate..

You're only right for one reason. The car is registered in JITB's name. Otherwise they can give her one. If the car were in her name and they see that she has residency in the state for over 30 days, she can be cited.

I have a friend who had Tx tags on his car in Ga for a few years! he is back in Tx now...never had to change a thing...

Never had to? Wrong. He always had to. He just never got caught, lolol. Later, QD.

Nittanys1
12-09-2007, 10:14 PM
well im sure he reg'd it every year in tx....

Dracc
12-09-2007, 10:17 PM
Never had to? Wrong. He always had to. He just never got caught, lolol. Later, QD.

tr00f :ninja:

quickdodgeŽ
12-09-2007, 10:18 PM
well im sure he reg'd it every year in tx....

He probably did. Once you've already registered the car in a state, you don't have to keep showing residency each year to renew the registration. Later, QD.

JITB
12-10-2007, 12:41 PM
the car is still being payed for!! so no title to sign over..

are we screwed? i

redrumracer
12-10-2007, 02:05 PM
why not just sign the title over to her, but tell her to leave it in the glove, when she gets there, get a smog test, take it to the DMV and get it registered in her name... then when you get there, register it back to your name....

I don't think you'd be able to do it without being physically over there, since they check ID. You can sometimes fly there for like 150 bux, might as well do that when she gets there and save all the hassle of transferring it and transferring it back.

even though this might work i would NEVER sign the title of my car of to ANY female or anybody else

redrumracer
12-10-2007, 02:09 PM
Never had to? Wrong. He always had to. Later, QD.

almost 100% true except if that person was in the military and stationed in GA. then he couldve claimed residency in any state as long as he payed that states taxes and everything just as if he were actually living in that state.