PDA

View Full Version : so you CAN haul siding in a hatch! whats the biggest thing you've hauled in a car?

jrinco11
12-08-2007, 08:19 PM
That’s right, contrary to belief (friends, family, and Lowes employees), a civic CAN indeed haul three boxes of 12 foot siding!

After driving to 3 different lowes, and 2 home depots, I finally found one about 30 miles away that had it in stock, cept the cost for renting a truck was $25 per hour and a half. The problem was that it was rush hour (yay atlanta) and I was already sick of driving around, so I didn’t want to have to haul this all down in a rental truck, pay $40+ for the 2+ hours it would take in total, and then have to drive BACK home! So I figured, hey, I’ve got a hatch back, it might fit...

So, in spite of people saying it wouldn’t work, including the loading guys at lowes saying "this is a first" (referencing someone trying to haul this in a civic), I decided to give it a try. An hour+ at 30mph later, I arrived at home and only had the siding fall over on me once (pinning my arm requiring me to pull over to get it off so I could shift, haha). So all of ya’ll who have civic hatchbacks and are wondering if you can haul siding, well rest assured that it CAN be done!

what's the biggest/strangest thing ya'll have tried to haul in your car??

robbyrob016
12-08-2007, 08:22 PM
my **** :)

Whiteboy™
12-08-2007, 08:23 PM
lose those tail lights bro

jrinco11
12-08-2007, 08:25 PM
lose those tail lights bro

haha, buy me new ones and i will

Nittanys1
12-08-2007, 08:26 PM
it would have been easier if you had put it on top of the car and tied it down in front of the car and then in the rear....but thats just me....

I was behind someone today on the back roads in BUfford and this old busted car had a roof on top of their car, it looked like it was to an old carport...those ppl couldn't drive worth ****!

jrinco11
12-08-2007, 08:31 PM
yah, i would've, cept i didn't want the stuff to bend, and it was already bending enough w/the small amount that was hanging out -- putting it on the roof would've definitely ruined it :-\

Leadfoot_mf
12-08-2007, 10:38 PM
great you proved you are indeed a moron. thanks for endangering everyone in atlanta for being a cheap piece of ****. :goodjob:

AnthonyF
12-08-2007, 10:59 PM
I can fit four bodies in the trunk

Kyle
12-08-2007, 11:02 PM
WTF? That doesnt look safe. But I hauled an 8 foot long board, it went from my windshield to my trunk.

Double_0_Rusty
12-08-2007, 11:36 PM
Hmmmm I have had two golf bags, which were full of clubs, a bunch of tools from work, two tool boxes at one time........then another time I had 6 girls in my hatch. two in the passenger seat, and 4 in the back......that was fun, though it made my car even slower......

Jecht
12-09-2007, 12:30 AM
Lol that reminds me of the cheap people I see leaving home depot with boards sticking out their windows like jousts.

redrumracer
12-09-2007, 12:38 AM
i once fit 3 grown adults in my miata before with the top up. also had so ply wood on top of a kia before, that really sucked because it created so much lift under the boards that it stretched the string out to were my friend and i had to hold on to it

collins
12-09-2007, 10:20 AM
i've fit 4 definitive technologies tower speakers and a tv in tha goat! and if ya know deftechs, you know they'r not little

Blitanicle99
12-09-2007, 10:34 AM
I am suprised the siding did not crack and break. That **** is so fragile. And wow... that many people were out of siding? I never have a problem getting large amounts of it.
Oh and a tip for moving siding... buy a 2x10 or two of them so your siding does not break.
I put mine in the back of my truck with the tailgate down. Even the littlest bump will make the stuff snap if its not supported. Just some insight for someone who did that for a living for awhile lol

Echonova
12-09-2007, 02:25 PM

jrinco11
12-09-2007, 03:14 PM
I am suprised the siding did not crack and break. That **** is so fragile. And wow... that many people were out of siding? I never have a problem getting large amounts of it.
Oh and a tip for moving siding... buy a 2x10 or two of them so your siding does not break.
I put mine in the back of my truck with the tailgate down. Even the littlest bump will make the stuff snap if its not supported. Just some insight for someone who did that for a living for awhile lol

yah, it apparently was a special kind of vinyl siding -- home depot didn't carry it, and there's only one lowes anywhere near here that carries this particular kind (....should've done this w/a different kind lol)

and the 2nd trip I ended up using some wood blocks to help keep it from bending so much, which really helped

On_Her_Face
12-09-2007, 03:17 PM

that needs to be a fail picture

JDMJAYDC2
12-09-2007, 03:25 PM
i used to see this all the time when i worked at home depot hmm largest thing i have moved so far in my hatch would have to be my propane grill and my 21 spd mtn bike ef hatch ftw

mocha latte cupcake
12-09-2007, 04:27 PM
the biggest thing i've ever hauled in my car was my ex! its all too true! lol
i mean i saw a recent picture of her and i think she swallowed the goodyear blimp lol

Leadfoot_mf
12-09-2007, 09:28 PM
okay vinyl dose not break it would be fine you are thinking of hardie board siding which is ****. and breaks if you fart on it.

Echonova
12-09-2007, 09:37 PM
that needs to be a fail pictureI made a fail pic of it, and Jeht got mad at me...:(

incawarrior
12-09-2007, 09:39 PM
haha...

My g/f bought some bookcases from Ikea on sale. She fit it all on the hatch. I thought to myself.. that some real jerry-rigged **** there.

secondgencamaro
12-09-2007, 09:56 PM
SilverSol's 16" TTII's all in the backseat of the Camaro with his seat back leaned foward and his face like 3" from the windshield.

The phrase "I swear to God if you brake-check me..." was uttered once or twice. I can't lie. I was tempted to.

P.S. IA's spell check underlines 'Camaro' as incorrect.

magneto198
12-09-2007, 10:09 PM
a carried a 200lb 6ft long air compressor in mine

Mr. Clean
12-09-2007, 10:17 PM
JDMjoe86 crammed a new 27" tube tv in the box in the hatch of his '01 integra. it was impressive...