PDA

View Full Version : Need some help from the EF Squad!

Cato ED-6
12-07-2007, 04:26 PM
Ok, so I went to get my emissions done today and to be honest I knew I was going to fail. Ran a diagnostic. Most of the things that need to be replaced I can fix relatively easily.

The only thing I don't know how to fix is: "repair open circuit to coolant sensor". Thats how they have it written down and I don't understand it in the least.

I don't have a service manual so I'm hoping some one can help me out with this. Have to get this fixed before the 18th.

JDMJAYDC2
12-07-2007, 04:47 PM
pcv valve??? or thermostat?? where do you live cato?? they dont get that serious with my car when i got emissions just drive on the dyno pass or fail usually something simple like gas cap or cat thats strange they did all that to your car

Cato ED-6
12-07-2007, 05:03 PM
pcv valve??? or thermostat?? where do you live cato?? they dont get that serious with my car when i got emissions just drive on the dyno pass or fail usually something simple like gas cap or cat thats strange they did all that to your car

I live in Woodstock.

I went on the dyno and all that jazz. The gas cap is about the only thing I passed, LOL. I've been meaning to get a new cat though. But thats not the only problem.

I'm about to go recheck the codes. Is there a way to check the codes without the CEL? Mine burned out.:(

Cato ED-6
12-07-2007, 06:06 PM
Ok, got the codes.
6 = Water Temp. Sensor
10 = Intake Air Temp. Sensor
14 = Idle Air Control Valve

I want to be sure I did this right, so this is what I did:

I got the code off the actual ECU, not the CEL.
The red light flashed 6 times real fast.
The light cut off for a sec.
Then flashed 10 times fast.
Then another pause.
And then 14 times fast.
(I was expecting 1 long and 4 short, like I read on HT.)
After that it just repeated everything.

Is that right? (I really hate not know this stuff.)

bigdare23
12-07-2007, 06:09 PM
Ok, got the codes.
6 = Water Temp. Sensor
10 = Intake Air Temp. Sensor
14 = Idle Air Control Valve

I want to be sure I did this right, so this is what I did:

I got the code off the actual ECU, not the CEL.
The red light flashed 6 times real fast.
The light cut off for a sec.
Then flashed 10 times fast.
Then another pause.
And then 14 times fast.
(I was expecting 1 long and 4 short, like I read on HT.)
After that it just repeated everything.

Is that right? (I really hate not know this stuff.)

Yeah that's right! The long and short ones are for obd1 cars.

jfrolang
12-07-2007, 06:22 PM
You're getting a code 6, and they're saying you have an open circuit on the coolant temp sensor. Sounds like it's not plugged in.

Cato ED-6
12-07-2007, 08:16 PM
Ya I'm going to check in the morning. I'm really hoping its just unpluged, but in any case. Whats a good place to buy wires and sensors from? I'm low on money so a good cheap place would be nice. If it comes to it I'll just swing by a junkyard and try my luck.

EvasiveEF9
12-08-2007, 12:48 AM
You know my garage...I've got a ****-ton of random wires and harnesses in the garage. Get with me and come get your ****.

Scotsman
12-08-2007, 01:14 AM
pm me , bro , i can get ya hooked up on non-emissions!

Cato ED-6
12-08-2007, 05:42 PM
Thanks for the offers, might hit ya'll up later.

Worked on it today. Found out that the coolant sensor wire was completely cut from the actual sensor. So I spliced up some wire and got it working. Reset the ECU. Took a test drive. Two of three problems are now fixed. The coolant sensor and the IACV. Now I have to figure out whats going on with the IAT sensor. Also while on the test spin I realized the throttle is messed up and the fuse for the driver side headlight blew.

So I got 2 things fixed and 2 new problems have been found. 1 easy, the other more difficult.

LOL Wouldn't be fun if it was easy...

Cato ED-6
12-12-2007, 01:23 PM
Does anyone have a Cat. Converter for sale?
I need to get one before the weekend.

Papa_Smurf
12-12-2007, 02:13 PM
you think thats the only problem now cato?

i say you pm scottsman....lol

Cato ED-6
12-12-2007, 07:19 PM
You think thats the only problem now Cato?

I say you pm Scottsman....lol

I hope thats the only thing left, but it could be the EGR. (and if it is I'm pretty much ****ed...) With that being said, does the ECU give a code for a messed up EGR?

blaknoize
12-13-2007, 01:11 PM
Scottsman's only got a HF though, so his cat is small...