PDA

View Full Version : Body work

MC Hammer
12-07-2007, 08:48 AM
I have a 1995 Integra and I was wanting to take off the side door dinger guards (whatever they are called) and fill the emblem holes.

I want to either take off the door dinger gaurds and filling them to make them flush, or just take them off and fill the holes, still leaving the indented part.

I just need to know what do use, and what major problems I'm going to run into. If anyone has a link to how to do it, that would be even better. Unless you really feel like explaining it all.

Thnx

AnthonyF
12-07-2007, 09:42 AM
taking the moldings off isnt that difficult. filling the holes is. you can use bodo (not the cheap ass shìt from pep boys) and smooth it out but make sure it's supported on the back side. or weld in all the little holes, grind them down, bondo, sand, primer, paint. done. it's time consuming. Or you can just contact spray glo or any local body shop

chuck
12-07-2007, 09:46 AM
its honestly not a thing to do for your first try at body work...

because of the area you a filling you'd idealy need to remove the strip,take your edges down, weld in plates to prevent cracking, then a small filler wipe with fiberglass...but with the doors being so thin it is VERY easy to warp them and end up with a big mess. some people have just filled to whole area with a short strand fiberglass, but this WILL crack over time and will noto really end up with a good flush look anyhow.

there are also some 'super fillers' that a lot of minitruck guys use, like fuzear and other kevlar fillers...these may last a little longer but will probably still crack if done with out filling plated.

basiclly anything you wipe on is really designed to fill, not to build up...

most people consider it more of a hastle than its worth, a warped door is a pain in the ass.

MC Hammer
12-07-2007, 09:48 AM
its honestly not a thing to do for your first try at body work...

because of the area you a filling you'd idealy need to remove the strip,take your edges down, weld in plates to prevent cracking, then a small filler wipe with fiberglass...but with the doors being so thin it is VERY easy to warp them and end up with a big mess. some people have just filled to whole area with a short strand fiberglass, but this WILL crack over time and will noto really end up with a good flush look anyhow.

there are also some 'super fillers' that a lot of minitruck guys use, like fuzear and other kevlar fillers...these may last a little longer but will probably still crack if done with out filling plated.

basiclly anything you wipe on is really designed to fill, not to build up...

most people consider it more of a hastle than its worth, a warped door is a pain in the ass.

so what am i supposed to do first? this is the only thing ive been wanting to do for a while.

MC Hammer
12-07-2007, 09:52 AM
ok so back to the other option:

if I don't fill it and make it flush, I still want to take it off and fill the holes.

AnthonyF
12-07-2007, 09:55 AM
ok so back to the other option:

if I don't fill it and make it flush, I still want to take it off and fill the holes.

that would almost be the same difficulty if not harder to just flush the holes. get a body shop to do it. they can do it faster and it'll look MUCH cleaner

MC Hammer
12-07-2007, 09:56 AM
yeah and im broke. =[

AnthonyF
12-07-2007, 09:58 AM
yeah and im broke. =[

no1 even notices the side moldings.

they are for when u open your door, they are the furthest point sticking out and replaceable so they are meant to hit poles, or whatever object next to you without doing any damage.

If you want to do something yourself, get a front lip and mount it. That'll bring a lot more attention to your ride w/o being a huge hassle. Your is clean already, no1 even sees that stripe.

chuck
12-07-2007, 10:04 AM
you could try shaving your washer squirters to get practice...what are you gonna do for paint though??

MC Hammer
12-07-2007, 10:09 AM
after I get everything done, I'm getting my entire car painted. bc if you didn't notice, I need a little bit of work done to the front. I wrecked it a while back and its not lined up right.

fucksohc
12-07-2007, 10:56 AM
i got a simple solution...

dont do it!!! lol

AnthonyF
12-07-2007, 11:12 AM
^thats not a solution. thats a suggestion.

fucksohc
12-07-2007, 11:17 AM
^ well...

dammit your right!... oh well... lol

its a good suggestion tho...

AnthonyF
12-07-2007, 11:46 AM
You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to ****sohc again.

fucksohc
12-07-2007, 11:48 AM
^^ i got you tho :)

lol

speedminded
12-07-2007, 01:01 PM
You have to be careful spot welding on the door skins because the heat may cause the thin metal to expand and contract leaving wrinkles. You can do it but i'd only suggested it being done by an experienced welder...or use a high quality adhesive to "weld" tabs on the back of the door skin and rear quarter then fill from the outside.

http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/2/web/470000-470999/470820_111_full.jpg

http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/2/web/470000-470999/470820_86_full.jpg

http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/2/web/470000-470999/470820_91_full.jpg

AnthonyF
12-07-2007, 01:09 PM
can i have ur car? pwease

speedminded
12-07-2007, 01:10 PM
can i have ur car? pweasesure thing boss, it will be for sale as soon as i get all the parts i've picked up the past week put on it :D

cdhtang
12-07-2007, 03:04 PM
get it professionally done, don't waste time on fiberglass and bondo. You have to paint it anyways, paid little more.