PDA

View Full Version : Police found another way to stop speeders....

kpc2593
12-06-2007, 09:48 PM
Microwave Beam Stops Cars Dead Tracy Staedter, Discovery News

Nov. 29, 2007 -- The same microwave radiation that reheats pizza can be used to fry the electrical systems in cars, stopping them dead in their tracks.

Emitted from a rooftop device, the radiation could be used by law enforcement officers to put an end to dangerous car chases or by military personnel (http://dsc.discovery.com/news/2007/05/25/memday_his.html) as a non-lethal way of disabling vehicles that get too close for comfort.

"The idea is to warn an automobile some distance away from a high-value target like a military barrack or a communication center. If they don't comply, you just zap them and it prevents them from coming closer," said James Tatoian, CEO of Eureka Aerospace (http://eurekaaerospace.com/) in Pasadena, Calif.

Tatoian and his team have been working on the device since 2003. The current prototype is about 5 feet long, 3 feet wide, a foot thick, and weighs just under 200 pounds.

The technology uses the same kind of energy used in microwave ovens, but at a different frequency. Ovens typically operate at 2.45 Ghz, whereas the high-power car-stopping system is at 300 megahertz. In both cases, the radiation is above common radio frequencies (http://dsc.discovery.com/news/2007/09/28/strangeburst_spa.html?category=health&guid=20070928093000&dcitc=w19-506-ak-0004) and is not harmful to humans.

"There are no biological effects," said Tatoian. "We comply with every standard in the literature as far as biological impact."

To disable cars, the device first generates energy that is amplified using a generator. The energy is converted to microwave radiation and then directed, by way of a specially designed antenna, at the offender in a narrow beam.

The higher the frequency of the radiation, the more directed the beam, which allows the user to aim the energy at vulnerable car parts, such as light bulb filaments, lug nuts, frame bolts, or windshield antenna.

Having access to these locations is crucial because newer cars are made with lots of plastic parts, have rustproof paint that prevents electricity from conducting, and have computers already designed to withstand the electromagnetic energy coming from the car engine.

One beam pulsed in a burst lasting just 50 nanoseconds is enough to disrupt a vehicle's electrical system. The radiation can overload wires or damage or upset the car's central microprocessor.

In tests on four vehicles, the researchers were able to disable cars from 10 to 50 feet away.

Such a device could go a long way to save time and lives in places like southern California, where highways stretch uninterrupted for long distances and car chases are common.

"Once they get off the streets, they just go until they run out of gas," said commander Charles "Sid" Heal of the Los Angeles Sheriff's Department in Monterey Park, Calif. The department donated test cars for the experiments.

A technology that would shut down a car's computer could not only reduce the number of car chases, but could also allow police officers to intentionally stop a car in a location where the offender might have difficulty running from on foot.

Heal said he would like to see the researchers add a light to beam, so that law enforcers could see where they are directing the beam and offenders would realize that they are on the receiving end of some kind of weapon.

"We can put the visible light on them, and if we don't get compliance, we'll hit them with a device that kills the car," said Heal.

Tatoian thinks that with the proper funding, Eureka Aerospace can shrink the device in less than two years to a 50-pound appliance that looks like a plasma television and can disable cars from 600 feet away.

Source - http://dsc.discovery.com/news/2007/11/29/engine-car-stop.html

WhiteAccord
12-06-2007, 09:51 PM
And then at some point people are going to find ways around this... Good find though/./.

The Ninja
12-06-2007, 09:57 PM
They don't want to stop you. They just want your money.

Schugg
12-06-2007, 09:59 PM
"Emitted from a rooftop device, the radiation could be used by law enforcement officers to put an end to dangerous car chases or by military personnel as a non-lethal way of disabling vehicles that get too close for comfort. "

a non-lethal way of disabling a car? i do not see this going through and actually being done. it may stop the car, but at the same time stops you from having kids with light exposure, and to long it burns your insides. the military uses it on a few aircraft, and when its on we cant go anywhere near the front of the jet. pigs will just end up spraying radiation all over the place screwing everyone up.

Schugg
12-06-2007, 09:59 PM
And then at some point people are going to find ways around this... Good find though/./.

hah and yeah, there are ways around it.

The Ninja
12-06-2007, 10:02 PM
Tin Foil hats.

Schugg
12-06-2007, 10:05 PM
we could make radiation reflectors so it bounces back and fries there sh1t, that would be cool

kpc2593
12-06-2007, 10:07 PM
we could make radiation reflectors so it bounces back and fries there sh1t, that would be cool

lol...now that **** would be funny...

Magnus213
12-06-2007, 10:10 PM
I'm going to stash a bunch of popcorn bags in my car. When I finally get zapped, at least I get something out of it, you know?

Schugg
12-06-2007, 10:11 PM
damn i just actually read the whole thing.....said it wouldnt be enough radiation to harm a human. ill just pretend i was right......

Schugg
12-06-2007, 10:12 PM
I'm going to stash a bunch of popcorn bags in my car. When I finally get zapped, at least I get something out of it, you know?

hah, while there putting you in the back of their car just ask them to grab a fresh bag of popcorn they made you from your trunk

redrumracer
12-06-2007, 10:17 PM
ummmm how bout a car that doesnt use a computer?????

-S Double C-
12-06-2007, 10:18 PM
Tin Foil hats.

**** TIN FOIL CAR! LMAO!!!

.blank cd
12-06-2007, 10:38 PM
hah and yeah, there are ways around it.Yeah you could paint your car with lead paint if you can find it. But i doubt we will see this in a non military application.

GIXXERDK
12-06-2007, 10:48 PM
I remember when this was first introduced, the problem was, could it be aimed only at something? Because it could reach other cars/traffic lights/ambulances etc. disabling them as well.

Magnus213
12-07-2007, 12:00 AM
I remember when this was first introduced, the problem was, could it be aimed only at something? Because it could reach other cars/traffic lights/ambulances etc. disabling them as well.
I imagine when the car in question is charging at a government or otherwise sensitive building (however they defined it in the article) the government doesn't mind a little bit of collateral damage. As long as Ahnold's family isn't involved, of course.

I imagine they can get a pretty focused beam, though.

Deke
12-07-2007, 12:31 AM
I think they should shoot a barbed computer fryer into the side of your car. That way through pure will and determination you can lean the majority of your body out the window and rip it out before your pimp tight Evo dies.

...Just me?

PS. Old school muscle for the win! What's a central processor? :)

secondgencamaro
12-07-2007, 12:46 AM
PS. Old school muscle for the win! What's a central processor? :)

What's a wire tuck, too? ;) :goodjob:

mushroom_toy
12-07-2007, 12:59 AM
Just wrap the insides of the car with electrically grounded foil blankets. Done and done.

"Microwaves cannot easily penetrate metal, especially grounded metal such as the electrically grounded foil blankets. The reason why emergency blankets are recommended over Reynolds aluminum foil is that these blankets are larger, more durable, and easier to hang up. Though some signal still gets through, and foil does not block pure ELF waves (ones without a higher frequency carrier), this is one step to greatly reducing the level of incoming microwave radiation."

xlilvi3tx
12-07-2007, 03:03 AM

LOL

Slow Motion
12-07-2007, 04:19 AM
Just wrap the insides of the car with electrically grounded foil blankets. Done and done.

"Microwaves cannot easily penetrate metal, especially grounded metal such as the electrically grounded foil blankets. The reason why emergency blankets are recommended over Reynolds aluminum foil is that these blankets are larger, more durable, and easier to hang up. Though some signal still gets through, and foil does not block pure ELF waves (ones without a higher frequency carrier), this is one step to greatly reducing the level of incoming microwave radiation."

OOOTAY....there the answer right therr.

magneto198
12-09-2007, 09:36 PM
im sure they would accidentaly disrupt innocent passenger cars passing by. that would suck

lilmanx01
12-09-2007, 09:43 PM
blinder m95? microwave diffuser/jammer?

§treet_§peed
12-09-2007, 09:48 PM
few granades chunked out the window a big mirror and some pop corn

bastarling84
12-10-2007, 12:20 PM
I want to see them follow someone around a turn with a 200lb machine on their roof.

I only see this being used in severe cases where all other avenues have already been tapped out, if this even comes into use.

wantboost
12-10-2007, 12:24 PM
I only see this being used in severe cases where all other avenues have already been tapped out.
just like tasers :rolleyes: ROFL

bastarling84
12-10-2007, 12:26 PM
just like tasers :rolleyes: ROFL
Yes, exactly like tasers. You know, if someone looks at you wrong or something and you have to show them whose penis is bigger.

XLR8NMR2
12-10-2007, 12:46 PM
I think it would be a better idea if they equipped them on police helicopters rather then cars itself...but someone will find a way to jam the system making it useless just like they have found a way to jam radar/laser

kwillsksu
12-10-2007, 01:56 PM
10-50 ft??? a bomb may still be effective at that range?

David88vert
12-10-2007, 06:28 PM
That's 10-50 ft on a STILL target. What if it is moving? How long do they have to focus on a moving object to fry the electronics?

What happens when they fry the electronics in a car doing 100mph? Who is the person going to hit when they lose control (power brakes and steering will be gone)?

gtrmonkey
12-10-2007, 06:36 PM
Chrome will become the NEW Black!!!

chinitoxamor
12-10-2007, 07:19 PM
i would sue them pigs if they even try to stop my car, that just causes accidents on highways.. what if ur going 100 and then outta nowhere stop hahaha.. BAMMMMM TOTALLY REAR IN YOUR ASS hahahahaha.. plus you could die