PDA

View Full Version : lsd or welded diff?

GT-S Boy
12-06-2007, 07:35 PM
i know helical lsd's are similar to welded diffs, but is it worth spending 800+ on a kaaz lsd or should i just get it welded? why or why not? thanks :)

Logan
12-06-2007, 07:40 PM
You want an LSD.

You will absolutely regret a welded diff if the car is your DD.

Unless you like wheel hop when pulling into the grocery store.

mocha latte cupcake
12-06-2007, 07:40 PM
techno toy rebuild kit is pretty cheap as i remember it but if you want a 2 way or something then spend the cheese! don't go cheap on something you need!

GT-S Boy
12-06-2007, 07:49 PM
alright, thansk for the help guys :) repped

mocha latte cupcake
12-06-2007, 07:49 PM
thank you kinda roku buddy :D

best of future luck

green91
12-06-2007, 07:50 PM
a LSD is nothing like a welded diff except for trying to transmit power to both wheels. a welded diff will induce oversteer if you snap decel and will also hop the tire everytime you turn, not to mention it puts ALOT of stress on the axles etc. however they can be very fun on an occasional driver :)

j0nbunklah0m
12-06-2007, 08:03 PM
lsd!!! ftw

Elbow
12-06-2007, 08:07 PM
If it is a nice DD and you want it to stay all smooth and soft, get a LSD. A welded diff feels like what it is, hardcore. You will hop, tires make cool sounds, and people look at you. You will think your car is breaking, but it's not, it's not for everyone.

Welded diffs eat tires as well, and from what I have heard, can be dangerous in the rain if you are not paying attention.

ash7
12-06-2007, 08:38 PM
^ from my experiences with the KAAZ lsd in a ff setup, grinding noises ensue from the gearbox along with the occasional tire chirp while turning at the local grocery store as well...

at times an aggressive lsd sounds just as bad (if not worse) than a welded diff

*right way = no regrets
*wrong way = no reliability

-jonathan

wesolayo
12-06-2007, 08:45 PM
I put a VLSD in my S13, and love it. Very predictable, pretty easy to control in a slide, and is 10x better than open diff in the rain. I've never personally ran a welded diff, but, everyone I know that ever has has had tons of problems, from snapping wheel studs, to eating tires 5x faster, to breaking axles.

FoolsDrifFWD
12-06-2007, 09:01 PM
Don’t go cheep man get an LSD. If you are going to get one save up and buy a clutch type like a 1.5 or 2way. VLSD are good too but they don’t lock up properly when they get hot well the 6 cars that I drove did. I have a NISMO 2-way in my car and it’s the ****!!!!! There is just so much more control with proper suspension setup. All I have to do to get the backend out is speed up turn in and let my foot off the gas that’s it. People say that welded is the same as a 2-way but its like night and day. People also say that full LSD’s are nosy this is also wrong. If you add diff additive to the gear oil and properly brake in the diff it should not make sounds or make you r tires chirp at low speed turns. Anyway I hope this helped you decide. :goodjob: The only problem is that you have to change the diff oil twice a year and re break it in but that’s not so bad.

RBS
12-07-2007, 08:17 AM
^ from my experiences with the KAAZ lsd in a ff setup, grinding noises ensue from the gearbox along with the occasional tire chirp while turning at the local grocery store as well...

at times an aggressive lsd sounds just as bad (if not worse) than a welded diff

*right way = no regrets
*wrong way = no reliability

-jonathan

i see my little cousins old wheels in your sig pic :D

AnthonyF
12-07-2007, 09:43 AM
dont be a pùssy, install a Ford 9" rear end. :)

fucksohc
12-07-2007, 11:47 AM
^ plz dont... lol

get the lsd man...

you will hate a welded diff... their will be a lot of wheel hop...

cdhtang
12-07-2007, 03:07 PM
get lsd, 1 or 1.5 way. Weld diff and 2 way is not really for daily drive, unless you want to take the challenge.

chnco
12-07-2007, 03:40 PM
I've had a welded diff, 2-Way Clutch Type LSD, and VLSD in my 240's

Honestly, I like drifting with the welded diff the best. Very predictable. Not fun for daily driving, but with the 2-Way that I had, it wasn't too far from being any worst.

Good luck

GT-S Boy
12-07-2007, 05:36 PM
thanks for the help guys

s13slider®
12-07-2007, 06:04 PM
just weld it and save for a lsd . most people will weld it for 50 bucks . fork out the 50 for some fun till you can save up the cheese man .

FoolsDrifFWD
12-07-2007, 06:30 PM
get lsd, 1 or 1.5 way. Weld diff and 2 way is not really for daily drive, unless you want to take the challenge.
What challenge a 2-way diff is easy as hell to drive everyday.

Andyc3020
12-07-2007, 11:12 PM
I drove a welded diff for a few months, and it was not bad, but you can just feel it putting strain on your entire rear end. its not good for your car, but it is a great way to save 800+$ . i decided to get a kaaz 2 way, and i'm loving it. it breaks loose when i want it to, and it allows me to park my car easily. it does make all kinds of noises, but its not that bad.

and a welded diff is not as dangerous as people make it out to be. its good for a cheap fix, but its not the right way to do things.

oh and whats wrong with using a 2 way for dd?

cdhtang
12-08-2007, 12:07 PM
What challenge a 2-way diff is easy as hell to drive everyday.

I think it is just a personal thing, I ride on it, i don't like it. It is not only me, other ppl on 240 forums said that too.

0DISPLACMENT
12-08-2007, 05:31 PM
his corolla is so light its not going to break anything if he welds it. if u dont want to spend 800$ and dont mind the chirp/hop (only when your going slowish, like parking/super sharp turns) it doesnt do mutch.

RotaryHead
12-08-2007, 10:11 PM
A welded diff is only for straight line performence. The purpose of the lsd is to let the wheels travel at different speeds when taking turns. You could mess up your wheel bearings and a lot of others with a solid diff.

FoolsDrifFWD
12-09-2007, 11:48 AM
I think it is just a personal thing, I ride on it, i don't like it. It is not only me, other ppl on 240 forums said that too.

Oh ok.

BuBBa DRiFT
12-09-2007, 08:02 PM
if you are dailying it, go for your GTS LSD rebuild. If you got the money and are DD go for a 1.5 or 2way, if youd rather use that 800 bucks towards suspension you should weld it.

i know 4 people, who have DD there welded diffs and drifted them at an event almost on a regular basis (once a month at events) and never had problems. Change the diff oil regularly and take care of it, and you will be fine. watch out for the welded in the rain, it does like to slip out a little

I have VLSD, and the beginning of my runs are great, until it starts acting like an open diff after im getting that solid line. VLSD makes you work wayyyy too hard. Lots of fun in the rain, loads better than open.

Andyc3020
12-09-2007, 09:12 PM
welded isnt as bad as it is made out to be in the rain. i honestly liked it better on wet pavement because it didn't hop around turns.

SpoonMan
12-11-2007, 10:07 PM
if you are dailying it, go for your GTS LSD rebuild. If you got the money and are DD go for a 1.5 or 2way, if youd rather use that 800 bucks towards suspension you should weld it.

i know 4 people, who have DD there welded diffs and drifted them at an event almost on a regular basis (once a month at events) and never had problems. Change the diff oil regularly and take care of it, and you will be fine. watch out for the welded in the rain, it does like to slip out a little

I have VLSD, and the beginning of my runs are great, until it starts acting like an open diff after im getting that solid line. VLSD makes you work wayyyy too hard. Lots of fun in the rain, loads better than open.

ok sorry... i gotta jack thread right fast...i got question, i got daily driven 240 with 300whp, i am not trying to drift it but would like to get sideways every nowa'then. what would you suggest?

Andyc3020
12-12-2007, 11:14 AM
vlsd

BuBBa DRiFT
12-12-2007, 12:34 PM
ok sorry... i gotta jack thread right fast...i got question, i got daily driven 240 with 300whp, i am not trying to drift it but would like to get sideways every nowa'then. what would you suggest?

vlsd is a great lsd, just not if you are competing, once it gets hot it likes to poop out, but if you are just chillin on rainy days

VLSD all the way

santacruz77
12-12-2007, 12:43 PM
dont be a pùssy, install a Ford 9" rear end. :)

lmao lmao lmao agreed reps for you