PDA

View Full Version : So called "mechanics" really do target women

Jaimecbr900
12-05-2007, 09:02 AM
I actually laughed quite hard about this one. See if yall can figure out why.

Story goes like this:

My wife has a 2002 Infiniti. Cool, right? Right. Ok, so it's emmissions needed to get done. I didn't have time to do it, so I just told her to go down the street from my office to a place. Since she has selective hearing:rolleyes: , she decided to pop in to some place else that she "ran across" before getting to where I told her to go. Fine, whatever.

She gets her emmissions done, no biggie, as expected. When she's walking out, the "mechanic" (and I'm using quotes for a reason that will be readily apparent in a sec:lmfao: ) tells her, "Miss, let me walk out with you and show you something...". So my wife walks outside towards HER car, right? Well, he bends down and starts pointing out how her HEADLIGHTS are all smogged up and he has this "special" solution that can get that out for the bargain price of $65.00.......My wife just looks at him and says, "Well, that's fine and good......BUT that's NOT my car....":lmfao: :doh: Strike one.

So then the guy appologizes and tries to recover by walking over to our car and pointing out how it too had some haze on the headlights. It doesn't BTW, and even if it did I certainly have enough REAL chemicals at the house to buff it and 50 other headlights if I want. Anyway, the guy goes thru this big spill about how it will improve her visibility and yada yada yada :blah: :blah: :blah: . Finally he tells her that for $70.00 he can just "hook her up" by cleaning the "haze" and putting her in "a more powerful bulb so she can see better"........:lmfao: :lmfao: Can someone please tell me WHY this was strike two, three....hell 100?

Needless to say, my wife didn't get any of those "additional" services done, but it is sad that "mechanics" try to take advantage of people simply because they are a woman. My wife even noticed that 2 or 3 MEN walked out after their emmissions and the same counter "mechanic" didn't say or follow them into the parking lot to offer anything. :rolleyes:

Anyway, reps to the first person that can tell me why this guy is an idiot of Godzilla proportions?

robbyrob016
12-05-2007, 09:10 AM
Um, it's pretty obvious why he is an idiot lol... Whenever i go to places like that i sort of hope the mechanics will point something out so i can either correct them, or tell them how ridiculous that something is hah.

1439/2000
12-05-2007, 09:10 AM
He works at Jiffy Lube. He cant read or write, give him a break.

quickdodge®
12-05-2007, 09:19 AM
2 or 3 MEN walked out after their emmissions and the same counter "mechanic" didn't say or follow them into the parking lot to offer anything.

Maybe their lights weren't hazed?

Lolol. Later, QD.

dartingd
12-05-2007, 09:26 AM
^^^i'm actually w/ qd on this one...hazed lights are the #1 cause of traffic deaths in america...for the price of $40.00, i'll come buff yours :)

Z0_o6
12-05-2007, 09:27 AM
HID's? the xenon bulbs are a little more than 5 bucks.

civic95
12-05-2007, 09:31 AM
Anyway, reps to the first person that can tell me why this guy is an idiot of Godzilla proportions?

He's not. It probably works 50% of the time.

Mr_Mischif
12-05-2007, 09:44 AM
Exactly. It's immoral, but he's not an idiot.

AnthonyF
12-05-2007, 10:01 AM
I work at a repair shop, and I can say confidently we DO NOT take adavange of women. If the car needs something we will let them know. We do not try and sell a bunch of BS stuff that they do not need. Thats what keeps our customers comming back.

AnthonyF
12-05-2007, 10:01 AM
^^^i'm actually w/ qd on this one...hazed lights are the #1 cause of traffic deaths in america...for the price of $40.00, i'll come buff yours :)

i buff them for free. customers walk in, we do them a favor by cleaning their headlights

Jaimecbr900
12-05-2007, 10:27 AM

Exactly. It's immoral, but he's not an idiot.

Actually, he IS an idiot. Wanna know WHY? :D See below.

HID's? the xenon bulbs are a little more than 5 bucks.

Ding, ding, ding. Winner, winner, chicken dinner. :goodjob:

Yep, folks. My wife's car has HID'S.......:doh: So unless this moron is Mr. Xenon himself, he #1 can't "replace" my wife's "bulb" for no $5 and #2 even if he could it damn sure wouldn't get any "brighter".

Bottomline was that this guy didn't know jack about what he was talking about and he tried to take advantage of my wife. Luckily she didn't fall for it. I'm actually surprised because she is sometimes rather gullible. Maybe she learned after the spark plug fluid incident.....:D JK.

Crazy Asian
12-05-2007, 10:40 AM
Um they even talk advantage of ppl who cant speak english.
IE my dad. He has 2007 MDX and I have to go with him to get an oil change cuz they might do some ridiculous stuff to him.

isa2o3
12-05-2007, 11:57 AM
well i dont think i can blame the guy. it is a common characteristics of mechanics. He just sucks at it. I mean all of us want to make more money. And he point out a true problem.

5spdfrk
12-05-2007, 12:03 PM
And he point out a true problem.

Yeh, on someone else's car. :lmfao:

Kevykev
12-05-2007, 12:08 PM
2002 infiniti = HID equipped

More powerful bulb???? OKaaaaayy....

HeLLo iM iZzY
12-05-2007, 12:10 PM
Tires Plus pulls sh1t like this all the time.

AnthonyF
12-05-2007, 12:11 PM

1. not all Infiniti's come with HID's. :doh:

2. yes, try the DAYLIGHTERs. 50,000kandle power i believe.

Frög
12-05-2007, 12:12 PM
i knew it was HID's.. blast too late.. those emission ppl are not even mechanics lol..

Kevykev
12-05-2007, 12:16 PM
1. not all Infiniti's come with HID's. :doh:

2. yes, try the DAYLIGHTERs. 50,000kandle power i believe.

What 02 infiniti does not have HIDs?

q45 (self-proclaimed most powerful headlights in the word)
G35 Yes
G35 Sedan - Yes
M45 Yes
QX4 Si
Mustang?

BAN!

even if you find one that doesn't

LOL at the people that will go searching

Jaimecbr900
12-05-2007, 12:23 PM
well i dont think i can blame the guy. it is a common characteristics of mechanics. He just sucks at it. I mean all of us want to make more money. And he point out a true problem.

You must be related to that guy, huh? :rolleyes:

I'm a Dr. You come to me to get your tonsils taken out. While I got you on the table, I go ahead and take out your appendix and do a hair transplant. When you wake up, you and your bill are nothing like what you expected. Is that cool just because I wanted to make a little extra just before the holidays???? :rolleyes:

My wife neither needed nor more importantly could USE what snake oil he was selling. That's not being a good salesman, that's being an opportunist. He tried to take advantage of my wife just because she is a woman and doesn't know spark plug fluid from orange juice.

I would've laughed in his face when he suggested that he could sell me a "bulb that will make it much brighter". Trouble is, weasels like that guy wouldn't dare try to sling that BS on someone that knows anything about cars.

BTW, REAL mechanics don't need to swindle people for a few bucks. So this "common characteristic" you speak of is only found in thieves and fools.

Jaimecbr900
12-05-2007, 12:29 PM

You know, right? :lmfao:

We were out to dinner when she told me that, and I just started laughing. Joan was like, "what's so funny?":thinking: . And this is Exhibit A as to why she's not even allowed to back my car out of the garage......;) :D

BuBBa DRiFT
12-05-2007, 01:11 PM
lmao

good story, im glad you didnt get screwed over

my dads transmission went out, and the shop told us the differential went out, so they charged us 1700. then they told us that the transmission went out at the same time and charge another 1700. needless to say, i told my dad right away, but they had already done the diff swap, so now hes out 1700. but he learned his lesson hopefully.

Another story with the same place, when my first car got rod knock, i was trying to make it home, but it died right in front of their shop. They told me they can get me a new KA for the low price of 3grand. I laughed in his face and told him it better come fully built with a turbo, he was confused, i explained to him that not even my car is worth 3grand, plus the motor is 3 HUNDRED.

this awesome shop is Shorty's Emissions of Jodeco Rd in McDonough (exit 222)

Brady
12-05-2007, 04:42 PM
What 02 infiniti does not have HIDs?

q45 (self-proclaimed most powerful headlights in the word)
G35 Yes
G35 Sedan - Yes
M45 Yes
QX4 Si
Mustang?

BAN!

even if you find one that doesn't

LOL at the people that will go searching
02 g35...lawls..i honestly expected better from you.

Tasuki_Civic
12-05-2007, 04:50 PM

hahaha

Tasuki_Civic
12-05-2007, 04:51 PM
You know, right? :lmfao:

We were out to dinner when she told me that, and I just started laughing. Joan was like, "what's so funny?":thinking: . And this is Exhibit A as to why she's not even allowed to back my car out of the garage......;) :D

haha cute

Double_0_Rusty
12-05-2007, 05:52 PM
Not all said "mechanics" do that. Atleast, I don't. However, I work for a Chevrolet Dealership, and our service department is ranked in the top 5 in customer satisfication around Ga. We don't make up b.s., and try to force them into buying. Not trying to be an ass, but this thread seems a little stereotypical to me. Oh well. Lol.

Kevykev
12-05-2007, 06:44 PM
02 g35...lawls..i honestly expected better from you.

LAWL in real life.

You know what I meant!

Production started in '02 :D

Brady
12-05-2007, 06:49 PM
LAWL in real life.

You know what I meant!

Production started in '02 :D
hahaha. hrm. i think i might believe you.

Jaimecbr900
12-05-2007, 06:57 PM
Not all said "mechanics" do that. Atleast, I don't. However, I work for a Chevrolet Dealership, and our service department is ranked in the top 5 in customer satisfication around Ga. We don't make up b.s., and try to force them into buying. Not trying to be an ass, but this thread seems a little stereotypical to me. Oh well. Lol.

It's not stereo typical if it really happened, now is it? :rolleyes:

I never said all mechanics were anything. Matter of fact, in one of my posts I clearly said that NOT ALL REAL mechanics are like this at all. Don't get your panties in a wad. Some of my best friends are REAL mechanics and they don't try to sell ladies spark plug fluid. ;)

Double_0_Rusty
12-05-2007, 07:01 PM
It's not stereo typical if it really happened, now is it? :rolleyes:

I never said all mechanics were anything. Matter of fact, in one of my posts I clearly said that NOT ALL REAL mechanics are like this at all. Don't get your panties in a wad. Some of my best friends are REAL mechanics and they don't try to sell ladies spark plug fluid. ;)

LOL no wad here, I do understand what you mean. Some of the crappy shops around my town do that crap, and it's complete b/s..lolol

You must have not seen the LOL at the end of my last post?

collins
12-05-2007, 07:09 PM

lol i was gonna say cause he originally said $65, then when he got to her car he said $70 is a HOOKUP! :lmfao:

FAHHQUE700
12-05-2007, 07:11 PM
My wife would be like, "hell no bastard I aint walking out there, gimme my damn keys, I'm hungry!"

1SICKLEX
12-06-2007, 09:48 PM
Put the guys head under the hood and drop the hood...sounds about right....

Jaimecbr900
12-07-2007, 09:34 AM
Put the guys head under the hood and drop the hood...sounds about right....

I know, right?

Well you know Joan. I'm just glad she didn't fall for it and come home to tell me about it. I had to tell her TWICE WHY the guy was an idiot, and she STILL looked at me like "huh?....Ok...what's so funny?" Hell, Daniel knows what HID's are before Joan probably. :lmfao:

BTW, isn't your birthday coming up soon???? :ninja:

1SICKLEX
12-08-2007, 02:09 PM
I know, right?

Well you know Joan. I'm just glad she didn't fall for it and come home to tell me about it. I had to tell her TWICE WHY the guy was an idiot, and she STILL looked at me like "huh?....Ok...what's so funny?" Hell, Daniel knows what HID's are before Joan probably. :lmfao:

BTW, isn't your birthday coming up soon???? :ninja:
lol!!
Invite will be sent!!!

Kevykev
12-08-2007, 04:41 PM
Aww...would yah look at this... two GS owners -How cute!

green91
12-08-2007, 04:48 PM
A lot of mortgage officers try to take advantage of women who don't know a lot about financing.

Emissions techs aren't necessarily "mechanics" and you will find sexists in any industry. Please don't lump all mechanics into a snake-oil salesman stereotype.

Jaimecbr900
12-08-2007, 08:07 PM
A lot of mortgage officers try to take advantage of women who don't know a lot about financing.

Emissions techs aren't necessarily "mechanics" and you will find sexists in any industry. Please don't lump all mechanics into a snake-oil salesman stereotype.

Wow, talk about coming out of left field.

Where'd that come from? :thinking:

green91
12-08-2007, 10:00 PM
I just thought an ignorant, nonfactual stereotypical statement should be met with another one.

magneto198
12-09-2007, 10:30 PM
most women just put gas in the car and go, thats why they take advantage of them

xLSTONEx
12-09-2007, 11:24 PM
Is it cause the first time he offered the service for $65 then on her car he said $70?