PDA

View Full Version : savings account

kpc2593
12-04-2007, 10:45 PM
looking to open up another savings account, but I don't know which bank to go thru....i already have one with washington mutual, but I got some money laying around that needs to be saved asap....

anyone know of a bank that offers a free savings account, and other great services...?

EDIT - got the word that ING is a great option to go with...anyone know if they got a promotion going on for new accounts?

Blitanicle99
12-04-2007, 11:45 PM
Wachovia has done exellent for me. Free Savings and checking.

GermanMuscle
12-04-2007, 11:48 PM
i dont know much about the interest rates but savings are free most of the time. i have my checking and savings at wachovia and am happy with them. just make sure you dont go to bank of america, they suck.

also if you have enough money you want to put into a savings account i would recommend that you check out money markets

tony
12-05-2007, 06:51 AM
What are you trying to accomplish with the money? Long term savings or short term? Shoot iloveboost a pm, he can help you out.

JennB
12-05-2007, 09:21 AM
I think ING is currently around 4.2%. Big banks like Wachovia and BOA are not the place to go for savings. Those banks are a place to keep a few hundred to use as back up for your checking but not to earn a return on your money. Their interest rates are so low they are barely worth the effort.

This link shows the current interest rates for accounts in GA http://www.bankrate.com/brm/rate/mmmf_mmaratehome99.asp?params=GA,24&product=33

As you can see, Wachovia and BOA are waaaaay down the list (It shows their Money Market rates, regular savings are even lower). Of course, which account you choose depends on how much you have to open the account with. Some of these accounts offer awesome rates, but require a good bit of $$ to start the account.

The only deal that I know of at ING is a free $25 when you open an account with a $250 opening balance. You need a referral from a current member to do that. If you choose ING, let me know and I'll refer you.

isa2o3
12-05-2007, 11:11 AM
If ur a student wachovia offers free bankin g to all students.

SL65AMG
12-05-2007, 06:08 PM
looking to open up another savings account, but I don't know which bank to go thru....i already have one with washington mutual, but I got some money laying around that needs to be saved asap....

anyone know of a bank that offers a free savings account, and other great services...?

EDIT - got the word that ING is a great option to go with...anyone know if they got a promotion going on for new accounts?

dont use a reg. bank. find a credit union. they have WAY better interest rates. i had an acct w/ wachovia and made $14.xx a month (at .03% interest i believe) i moved it to Delta Credit union and i make $75 ish a month in interest (at 3.5% i believe) keep in mind this was a large account but the interest is obviously better

Danny
12-06-2007, 05:13 PM
i bank with BOA, free, and its great for what a bank is designed to do.

I have been pushing my net worth around the past couple months, and am about to have zero "savings" as its not worth it.

Why not grab a BOA checking account/ saving.. Then go grab a hand full or bonds, notes or bills (which ever tickels your fancy).

But as someone else said, what are you trying to accomplish? Because these savings accounts are not a source of security or income. Just a pretty way to see you money online :D

blaknoize
12-06-2007, 05:31 PM
Mine does. Atomic Employees Credit Union (AECU) only problem is that its based solely in Ohio. So... unless u want to deal with that. Its a great lil credit union. I hate banks. Both WaMu and Wachovia screwed me over. But here's the web-site, check out the interest rates on an investments 4.90% at 60months. As displayed:

http://www.2mycu.com/sharerates.html

blaknoize
12-06-2007, 05:33 PM
Or... if ur seriously trying to EARN then check Vanguard or just simply go to the library and pick up a GREAT book; Andrew Tobias, The Only Investment Guide You Will Ever Need. Thats the real title.

SampaGuy
12-06-2007, 07:28 PM
Wachovia has done exellent for me. Free Savings and checking.

LOL. Wachovia money market pays like 3%? Which is about the same as the inflation rate, meaning youre not making anything.

Turbo04
12-09-2007, 09:40 PM
what ever you do, do NOT go to BOA, the worst bank ever. I'm in the process of leaving them now.

Danny
12-09-2007, 11:58 PM
what ever you do, do NOT go to BOA, the worst bank ever. I'm in the process of leaving them now.

care to share why, what others banks you have been with, and why others are better? just wondering.

BB6dohcvtec
12-11-2007, 10:38 AM
for a savings account that you actually wanna earn money on. I would go with ING.