PDA

View Full Version : Insurance Claim Question.

VegetaRules
12-04-2007, 12:50 PM
Okay, I recently got hit, the insurance people gave me an estimate of roughly $900. I got an estimate from the shop at roughly $1,170. My question is this, legall, do I have to take the car to a shop to repair it, or can I do it myself, without getting into trouble?

I ask this because I could fix the car myself at school & use the money for other bills. I just wanna know the legal ramifications on this option, if I have to take it to a shop, then I'll do it.

Now the check is in the mail already, so what are my options? Thanks in advance....Vegeta

Jaimecbr900
12-04-2007, 12:54 PM
If they cut the check in your name, you don't have to fix squat. You can drive the car around wrecked for all the insurance cares. You have to sign a release before they cut you the check which states you are settling this matter with them for X amt of money. You can take the money and blow it or fix the car. Once you've signed the release, they don't care which. :goodjob:

VegetaRules
12-04-2007, 01:04 PM
You positive? lol Now I did take the rental car, so the wife could get to school for these 4 days until my other cars tranny is installed. Cause the guy just called me asking me & the shop guy had I brought the car down there yet. lol

So I was just going to give him back the rental & fix it on my own time. So do I need to call them back & tell them that? Because yes, they've already cut me a check for their estimated cost of repair. So the check won't even be here till WED, so the 4 day rental thing was goofy to begin with.

So do I need to call the insurance people, or just return the rental car & call it a day? I already signed the bodily insurance part, & for I guess the release of the check.

I do appreciate the quick reply. Also would my school have any way of finding out that I got paid to repair the car? Like could they run the VIN & check? Because they try to stay non-profit, so technically I'm not supposed to be able to do it.

I was going to tell them they totaled it out & that I bought it back, then it'd be according to them okay for me to fix it there. lol I mean I'm in school for auto collision, so it's job training you know? LMAO.....Vegeta

AnthonyF
12-04-2007, 01:22 PM
You positive?
he is correct

So I was just going to give him back the rental & fix it on my own time. So do I need to call them back & tell them that? So do I need to call the insurance people, or just return the rental car & call it a day? I already signed the bodily insurance part, & for I guess the release of the check.
as long as it is in your name and not a body shops, DIY

I do appreciate the quick reply. Also would my school have any way of finding out that I got paid to repair the car? Like could they run the VIN & check? Because they try to stay non-profit, so technically I'm not supposed to be able to do it.
why would the school care?

I was going to tell them they totaled it out & that I bought it back, then it'd be according to them okay for me to fix it there. lol I mean I'm in school for auto collision, so it's job training you know? LMAO.....Vegeta

hmmm....ask them 1st. doesnt hurt to ask.