PDA

View Full Version : quick ticket advice (tag related - not idiotic speeding)

osnap
12-04-2007, 07:28 AM
haha just wanted to be sure everyone knew this wasnt another one of those threads like "man i was racing at 140mph and some ******* cop pulled me over and gave me a ticket. what a dick!" anywho let me kinda lay the important facts out real quick.

i sold my old del sol S in july and picked up my del Sol VTEC 2 days later. I simply put the license plate from my old sol onto my new one, as I understood I was supposed to. That tag happened to expire in September. In early October I realized that I needed to take care of that, and I also remembered that I needed to take the title in to get it switched over (yeah, pretty late, i know - id been really busy).

Before I could do anything, though, the car was stolen. It turned up and all but I wasn't able to drive it again until late October. Upon getting it back, I went to take care of the tag/title, but I couldn't pass emissions. SO a few more weeks go by while I try to get that tackled. I FINALLY get emissions passed, and get to the tag office. I got the title switched over and was told it would arrive soon by mail. I also ordered a vanity plate and was thus given a 90 day paper license plate. I was told i was in the legal clear.

I didnt put the paper tag on immediately though - you cant see it at all through my 20% rear tint, so I decided to get it laminated and put it in the regular tag spot. So the other day I headed out to get it laminated. On the way there, though, I got pulled over, and the cop told me it was becase my tag was expired (I still had the expired plate on my car rather than nothing at all). I immediately showed him my legal paper license plate, but he just told me to "take it up with the court". He also was questioning the hell out of me about the fact that the plate number came up to a different VIN and a different person (as it came off of a different del Sol) and that my dash VIN didnt match either (because I replaced my dashboard with the cleaner 93 variation), so he wrote and labeled each of 3 the VIN numbers on comments. He somewhat accusingly asked me if I "pieced the car together" and if I had any proof of ownership - I told him my title hadn't come in the mail yet. Anyways, in the long run the ticket is just for an expired tag and also has the VIN numbers listed in the comments.

At any rate - was I in the legal wrong? I feel like maybe the guy was kinda being a dick, seeing as I had the new plate right there with me; I just hadn't been able to laminate it and slap it on yet. Whats my best bet going to be when trying to get this dismissed in court?

osiriskidd
12-04-2007, 07:38 AM
haha just wanted to be sure everyone knew this wasnt another one of those threads like "man i was racing at 140mph and some ******* cop pulled me over and gave me a ticket. what a dick!" anywho let me kinda lay the important facts out real quick.

i sold my old del sol S in july and picked up my del Sol VTEC 2 days later. I simply put the license plate from my old sol onto my new one, as I understood I was supposed to. That tag happened to expire in September. In early October I realized that I needed to take care of that, and I also remembered that I needed to take the title in to get it switched over (yeah, pretty late, i know - id been really busy).

Before I could do anything, though, the car was stolen. It turned up and all but I wasn't able to drive it again until late October. Upon getting it back, I went to take care of the tag/title, but I couldn't pass emissions. SO a few more weeks go by while I try to get that tackled. I FINALLY get emissions passed, and get to the tag office. I got the title switched over and was told it would arrive soon by mail. I also ordered a vanity plate and was thus given a 90 day paper license plate. I was told i was in the legal clear.

I didnt put the paper tag on immediately though - you cant see it at all through my 20% rear tint, so I decided to get it laminated and put it in the regular tag spot. So the other day I headed out to get it laminated. On the way there, though, I got pulled over, and the cop told me it was becase my tag was expired (I still had the expired plate on my car rather than nothing at all). I immediately showed him my legal paper license plate, but he just told me to "take it up with the court". He also was questioning the hell out of me about the fact that the plate number came up to a different VIN and a different person (as it came off of a different del Sol) and that my dash VIN didnt match either (because I replaced my dashboard with the cleaner 93 variation), so he wrote and labeled each of 3 the VIN numbers on comments. He somewhat accusingly asked me if I "pieced the car together" and if I had any proof of ownership - I told him my title hadn't come in the mail yet. Anyways, in the long run the ticket is just for an expired tag and also has the VIN numbers listed in the comments.

At any rate - was I in the legal wrong? I feel like maybe the guy was kinda being a dick, seeing as I had the new plate right there with me; I just hadn't been able to laminate it and slap it on yet. Whats my best bet going to be when trying to get this dismissed in court?

i wouldn't see why court would just pass up the citations on the VIN problems..as long as you thoroughly explain it to them.
i think you should be fine if you just talk to the prosecutor.

but idk. this is just logically speaking.

Nittanys1
12-04-2007, 07:44 AM
I think you'll be fine. The new tag was issued before you got pulled over. just let them know what happened. I would take pics of the VIN of the car where it is in the door jam and have that to show them.

Leadfoot_mf
12-04-2007, 08:21 AM
yes

HeLLo iM iZzY
12-04-2007, 08:42 AM
Your fine. Just let the court know what's going on.

Ruiner
12-04-2007, 08:53 AM

To answer your question that is bolded: Yes.

GIXXERDK
12-04-2007, 09:10 AM
I simply put the license plate from my old sol onto my new one, as I understood I was supposed to.

Really? :???:

Leadfoot_mf
12-04-2007, 10:05 AM
To answer your question the is bolded: Yes.
repost lol

Grimm Reeper
12-04-2007, 10:19 AM
You'll eventually have to go to court and explain it to the judge make sure that you have all your paper work for everything bill of sale, title, insurance, leave nothing out.