PDA

View Full Version : Beginner camera?

Jecht
12-01-2007, 08:39 PM
I've always wanted to get into photography, but I've never owned a real camera of my own. I've always had to use my dad's camera to take pics, and it is a little out of date. Anyways, I'm looking for a reasonably priced camera with the options of purchasing better lenses/etc. later on when I get further into photography. So any ideas?

Justin.
12-01-2007, 08:57 PM
Nikon d40.

Whiteboy™
12-01-2007, 09:04 PM
I got a Nikon Coolpix 5400, I like it.

Jecht
12-01-2007, 09:05 PM
Nikon d40.

That is a little bit out of my price range. I was thinking ~$300. But idk much about cameras. :doh:

Nemesis
12-01-2007, 10:16 PM
That is a little bit out of my price range. I was thinking ~$300. But idk much about cameras. :doh:

Dont listen to half the people that post up. Seriously.

For about three hundred, you can pick up a nice point and shoot, learn how to use it, and take better photos than the ones telling you to get a DSLR.

In my time of taking photos, Ive owned 5 point and shoots, and 3 DSLRs.

Jecht
12-01-2007, 10:34 PM

For about three hundred, you can pick up a nice point and shoot, learn how to use it, and take better photos than the ones telling you to get a DSLR.

I figured that once I started looking at cameras. I guess what I really need is adjustability and a decent optical zoom.

What do you think about a black Sony Cyber Shot? It doesn't look too bad for $199.

TS240
12-01-2007, 11:05 PM

Thats what I figured...
:looks at camera: I have a Nikon Coolpix L3, I picked it up for under $150 this time last year. (Sears 2yr Warranty)
Fits my needs pretty well, fun to play around with.:camera:

Andy_013
12-02-2007, 12:00 AM
find a camera with the best optical zoom, Canon makes some good point and shoot camera.

quickdodge®
12-02-2007, 12:11 AM
Jecht, I have two, not one but two, Canon A540 Powershot cameras. The manual settings on this camera are more than even I know. I took it to JaimeCBR when I first got it and he couldn't believe the features it had. You can pick it up off Ebay all day long for $120/shipped. And this includes 4 rechargeable batteries, a battery charger, 1 or 2gb SD card. That's why I bought two. My wife has the other one. Later, QD.

Justin.
12-02-2007, 02:06 PM
Oops, sorry I though he was looking for a DSLR.

I have a few point and shoots, My favorite is the HP photosmart M415, It's a little older, and zoom isnt to much to be desired, but It takes Great pictures! I'm a fan of the HP cameras.

changaroo
12-02-2007, 02:47 PM
d40 is probably the worst decision you could make :P

maybe look at the canon g-series p&s (g6 should be cheap since the g9 came out), very capable cameras, as well as the a-series line also.

and like QD said, they have countless number of modes / options.

Justin.
12-02-2007, 03:21 PM

maybe look at the canon g-series p&s (g6 should be cheap since the g9 came out), very capable cameras, as well as the a-series line also.

You must dispise the d40.

Jecht
12-02-2007, 06:27 PM

Thanks everybody! I've heard good things about the Canon cameras, so I'm going to do a little research about them too.

Justin, I would love to have a DLSR but I really don't have the skills or knowledge to operate one.

Rep'd everyone I can. QD I'll rep you on any of your other posts when I get the chance; I would probably be doing it anyways. :goodjob:

Sol-Badguy
12-02-2007, 06:47 PM
I'll have to let you see my camera, Ryan.

Look up the Canon Powershot SX100 IS. :goodjob:

Wurm
12-02-2007, 06:52 PM
get a throw away digital camera lol

Nemesis
12-02-2007, 07:07 PM

Because he's a Canon fanboy :tongue1:

And btw I like Canon products.... err thats like saying I like BWM, just despise the drivers.

:D

changaroo
12-02-2007, 07:28 PM

Because he's a Canon fanboy :tongue1:

i usually wont tell a person to not buy nikon just because i shoot canon gear, but i will tell them not to get a d40.

im a fan of both camera companies, as i feel both of them provide great entry level / pro level equipment to consumers

but the d40 was honestly a marketing gimmick IMHO. for people that want a DSLR, and want to get serious, they will outgrow the body within months... which in turns means theyre just going to have to spend more money on a different body...

i think they came out with it to grab the market of uneducated consumers that want to take a leap into the dSLR world, and theyre doing a very good job at it low price, nice big lcd screen, a decent amount of megapixels, whats not to like!

its a shame that its really just a p&s with a removable lens ;)

but anyways, Jecht isnt looking for a DSLR so we'll save this convo for another day :D

Nemesis
12-02-2007, 07:37 PM
I was kidding about the fanboy talk.

But personally I think the Rebel XT commercial is a gimmick too....if you pick one up you'll shoot photos like the photographers on the sidelines of Football games. Seriously, not one make or brand inst innocent of gimmick junk that has no use to the everyday consumer. They want to sell products, cut and dry.

I personally wouldn't buy a D40 either, but there is a large customer base that probably would.

87 Turbo II
12-02-2007, 11:27 PM
Yeah but the XT can use the same lenses a 1Ds Mk III can use will all their features, a D40 cannot use all the lenses a D3 can use with autofocus or even metering in REALLY old lenses.

sleepys4
12-03-2007, 03:32 AM
Jecht, I have two, not one but two, Canon A540 Powershot cameras. The manual settings on this camera are more than even I know. I took it to JaimeCBR when I first got it and he couldn't believe the features it had. You can pick it up off Ebay all day long for $120/shipped. And this includes 4 rechargeable batteries, a battery charger, 1 or 2gb SD card. That's why I bought two. My wife has the other one. Later, QD.

Yea i have also owned this camera takes amazing pictures. It was fairly cheap when i bought mine also. It was a while ago now, I still miss that camera. Used it for years then gave it away to my mom when I bought my Dslr.

AnthonyF
12-03-2007, 05:42 AM
I've got a GREAT beginner camera for you. check my sig! Canon 20d that works GREAT! just took it to SEMA and took fantastic pictures, and I dont even know what I am doing. lol

Nemesis
12-03-2007, 07:40 AM
Yeah but the XT can use the same lenses a 1Ds Mk III can use will all their features, a D40 cannot use all the lenses a D3 can use with autofocus or even metering in REALLY old lenses.

The average consumer will not spend more than 400 dollars on any one lens. So its pointless. I really could care less about arguing about what the D40 can or cant do, I dont own one.

AnthonyF
12-03-2007, 04:08 PM
The average consumer will not spend more than 400 dollars on any one lens. So its pointless. I really could care less about arguing about what the D40 can or cant do, I dont own one.

let me make this simplier for that guy to read:

STFU. YOU DONT KNOW AS MUCH AS ME. :2up:

JessAlba452
12-03-2007, 04:24 PM
For my first camera I went ahead and purchased a DMC-FZ15 from Panasonic.

Main reason was the 12x optical zoom + manual focus ring. The lumix lense was a plus! I wanted something that was close to DSLR without the price and easy to use.

Takes great pictures compared to the other cameras I was considering at the time.

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0407/04072107panasonicfz15.asp

I did a whole bunch of reading and looking at pics posted at http://www.dcresource.com/

So definately do your research!
Not to do a plug but if you'd like it I will probrably be selling it soon along with my smaller Canon A510 to purchase an actual SLR camera. Let me know if you'd be intrested!

:goodjob:

87 Turbo II
12-04-2007, 09:21 PM
The average consumer will not spend more than 400 dollars on any one lens.
exactly, the AF-I lenses are CHEAPER! The ones the D40 can use are more expensive AF-S lenses. D40 a budget camera? Only in disguise.