PDA

View Full Version : Did grade school prepare you for life?

tony
12-01-2007, 07:51 PM
Just curious what the responses are.. I barely graduated with a 1.9 gpa from high school, never got in trouble but I did not like school at all. Still managed to make a good living (better than a lot of my classmates) so I wouldn't say school is useless but certainly not vital as it pertains to success. thoughts?

Lizbiz101
12-01-2007, 07:54 PM
I think the first 2 years of college is a waste. What's the point in taking the same classes you JUST finished taking in high school!?!?!

NewGen33
12-01-2007, 07:55 PM
It better have this is my last year. And It's all about who you know. 0.02

Jin
12-01-2007, 07:57 PM
Just curious what the responses are.. I barely graduated with a 1.9 gpa from high school, never got in trouble but I did not like school at all. Still managed to make a good living (better than a lot of my classmates) so I wouldn't say school is useless but certainly not vital as it pertains to success. thoughts?

Judging by your car/cars you made a hell of a living.

Grade school from 3rd-5th grade are the only things I use (ie : basic grammar, basic math, basic problem solving skills, basic social skills). All that Algebra, Trigonometry, Science doesn't help me in my day to day life. Hell, I did well in high school but I really don't see how that stuff helps me now...

KPowerEP3
12-01-2007, 08:24 PM

Grade school from 3rd-5th grade are the only things I use (ie : basic grammar, basic math, basic problem solving skills, basic social skills). All that Algebra, Trigonometry, Science doesn't help me in my day to day life. Hell, I did well in high school but I really don't see how that stuff helps me now...

I feel the same way. I did the college thing for 2 years, decided I hated it and left. I made decent money after that, but part of me still wants to go back. Regardless of whether you use what you learned or not, that piece of paper opens doors.

Jimmy B
12-01-2007, 08:26 PM
school did pretty much nothing for me,,.. own/run 3 buisness's, one of those was started while i was in school..

it depends on what you want to do as to what you use from school..

of course 97% of IA will work at a tire store for the future.. lol

man
12-01-2007, 08:33 PM
Here's the question, do you think you would have been as successful without anything other than an elementary school education?

RandomGuy
12-01-2007, 08:35 PM
Here's the question, do you think you would have been as successful without anything other than an elementary school education?
Here's the question, do you think you would have had an elementary school education if you were born without a face?

man
12-01-2007, 08:36 PM
Here's the question, do you think you would have had an elementary school education if you were born without a face?

**** no, I wouldn't need one. I'd join the circus.

tony
12-01-2007, 08:46 PM

With that came a LOT of hard lessons.. I wish I would have invested instead of dropping tons of money into a car. I am attending college now though, a degree is required for those specialized professions.

JITB
12-01-2007, 09:52 PM
man after the 8th grade i swear i jus stopped learning, in school.. which is when i started to get into trouble.

but the best things life lessons are learned form mistakes.. to me it is..

Double_0_Rusty
12-01-2007, 10:00 PM
So, I graduated high school with a 4.0gpa, and was in the top 10 out of 220 students in my class. I graduated with honors and dual seal diploma. Got to college, and dropped out halfway through my freshman semester. I now work for a Chevrolet dealership, about to be promoted to Service Advisor, from service tech. I have no need for all the crap I learned in high school, but thank God for the basic stuff, i.e math, reading. I also am doing alot better finacially than most of my classmates.

§treet_§peed
12-01-2007, 10:19 PM
well i graduated with a 3. something GPA and my life blows right now lol.. i am broke and still live at home lol

Crazy Asian
12-01-2007, 10:39 PM
some are blessed with insane family members... some are lucky that what they learn on the street will net them nice stuff. I never went to school that much 3.0 GPA but during high school I used to get *ahem* a nice sum from *ahem* family and friends WEEEEEEE

Jecht
12-01-2007, 11:28 PM
Meh I didn't do crap in high school... I had a decent GPA and all but I never cared. I could always listen occasionally in class then never study and get consistent A's. College is different and forces me to study. Also, I was rather sheltered in high school so I never got to do much until my senior year. So when I got to KSU, I thought I would study something computer related since that was basically all I knew extensive information about other than cars. I still don't know what I want to do with my life and I think its because of how sheltered I was in high school.

Rican219
12-01-2007, 11:29 PM
I failed Kindergarden because I didn't know Engrish

Echonova
12-01-2007, 11:45 PM
I am truly a dichotomy, so my point does not reflect the typical answer. I have a genius IQ (5 points from super genius if you must know) but it's also my curse. My brain processes information faster than I can store it. Therefore my short term memory sucks and I'm on prescription medicine for the rest of my life to quiet my mind so I don't go insane. You know how ya'll have that TV in your head... Try 10 of them, all going at the same time. I seriously cannot think a single thought at a time. That being said, High school bored me, I graduated and went to the Art Institute of Atlanta for computer design and computer graphics. Dropped out and tested underground fuel tanks for a living, now I run the Southeast Region containing 6 states at 33. So anyway, my unnecessary long answer/life story is if you have the capacity, you can do anything.

Jecht
12-01-2007, 11:49 PM
I am truly a dichotomy, so my point does not reflect the typical answer. I have a genius IQ (5 points from super genius if you must know) but it's also my curse. My brain processes information faster than I can store it. Therefore my short term memory sucks and I'm on prescription medicine for the rest of my life to quiet my mind so I don't go insane. You know how ya'll have that TV in your head... Try 10 of them, all going at the same time. I seriously cannot think a single thought at a time. That being said, High school bored me, I graduated and went to the Art Institute of Atlanta for computer design and computer graphics. Dropped out and tested underground fuel tanks for a living, now I run the Southeast Region containing 6 states at 33. So anyway, my unnecessary long answer/life story is if you have the capacity, you can do anything.

I know what you are talking about - the multiple TV ordeal. I'll have four or five things going on in my head at once, which is really annoying at times.

Julio
12-01-2007, 11:56 PM
up to 6th grade.. =]

Dracc
12-01-2007, 11:59 PM
up to 4th grade.. =]

fixed

Magnus213
12-02-2007, 01:54 AM
If I end up doing what I want to, everything pertaining to math and science will be useful to me, and everything concerning humanities was a waste of time.

redrumracer
12-02-2007, 02:07 AM
grade school is very important and vital to the success of a person imo. it challenges you to adapt to new situations as well as teaches you basic networking skills, and people relations.

BiH1320
12-02-2007, 03:06 AM
I withdrew from school. Somehow I stopped learning as soon as I got to high school.. Dunno what happen..
But everyday I wonder what am I going to do with my life...

redrumracer
12-02-2007, 03:20 AM
I withdrew from school. Somehow I stopped learning as soon as I got to high school.. Dunno what happen..

i was about to ask if that was two pieces of shit fucking in your avatar but then i read it reps when i can for that

umairejaz
12-02-2007, 06:29 AM
I think a lot has to do with it simply being a place to put us before we mature. I don't think I learned much in HS. Our education system needs serious revision.

Bruce Leroy
12-02-2007, 08:05 AM
Regular Highschool was a waste of my time. And so was GPC. But now that I go to UTI, with dumb ass ****ers who can't do basic math without a claculator (even some teachers), i'm starting to realize that without a degree I will always be somebody elses *****.

quickdodgeŽ
12-02-2007, 10:55 AM
I am truly a dichotomy, so my point does not reflect the typical answer. I have a genius IQ (5 points from super genius if you must know) but it's also my curse. My brain processes information faster than I can store it. Therefore my short term memory sucks and I'm on prescription medicine for the rest of my life to quiet my mind so I don't go insane.

Sometimes, I feel the same way. I've never actually tested my IQ level, but I graduated HS with a 3.75GPA and took the SAT only once and in the first month of my 9th grade year and scored 40 points from perfect. Went to college and graduated on the Dean's List with a 4.0GPA in computers. I haven't held a computer job since. I drive a truck for a living and make very good money now.

Later, QD.

SloWRX
12-02-2007, 11:08 AM

play counter-strike lolol

kingkong
12-02-2007, 12:22 PM
Its my senior year and high school is pretty much a joke to me. I sleep in all my classes and have above 95's in all them. Maybe college will give me some sort of challenge.

The Ninja
12-02-2007, 12:33 PM
Despite what you all may think, the SAT doesn't reflect **** about your intelligence. Your GPA represents even less. IQ is more of a "how big is your glass, and how fast can you fill it" type of test. Depending on your learning style you can be presented with all of the curriculum for a class and given a deadline and finish in time, and have retained more than what those in a typical classroom setting would have. Another thing you guys are mixing up is Intelligence and Wisdom, there are big differences among the two. That is all.

Sledlude
12-02-2007, 12:33 PM
hell yeah college helps... i guess it depends on what you want to do with your life. if you want to specialize in something, you need that degree and the education that comes along with it. ie... you can't be a doctor or research biologist with a grade school education...
i personally would not feel fulfilled working a job that didn't require higher education. no disrespect to those that work at dealerships or parts store but that is just not me. I feel like I can shine in an academic setting, so I'm just going with it 'til I run out of steam. And hopefully, all this school will be making me good GOOD money one day, as long as I don't f uck up.

XLR8NMR2
12-02-2007, 12:34 PM
i graduated higschool with like a 2.7 gpa took a year off went to college for two years and dropped out....School was fine but it was way too stressful at times.

It's true that the old saying goes "it's who you know" but sometimes who you know won't be able to help you without some type of degree. I was a business major and the math kicked my ass so now i'm going back for a degree in cinema art.

school is easy if you apply yourself and have good study habits but you don't need it to make money, All you need to make money is hustle. If your a born hustler than you will make it some point of your life.

The Ninja
12-02-2007, 12:34 PM
hell yeah college helps... i guess it depends on what you want to do with your life. if you want to specialize in something, you need that degree and the education that comes along with it. ie... you can't be a doctor or research biologist with a grade school education...
i personally would not feel fulfilled working a job that didn't require higher education. no disrespect to those that work at dealerships or parts store but that is just not me. I feel like I can shine in an academic setting, so I'm just going with it 'til I run out of steam. And hopefully, all this school will be making me good GOOD money one day, as long as I don't f uck up.

Aye Aye, Captain.

On_Her_Face
12-02-2007, 01:15 PM
It better have this is my last year. And It's all about who you know. 0.02

nope its about who knows you.

quickdodgeŽ
12-02-2007, 02:06 PM
Despite what you all may think, the SAT doesn't reflect **** about your intelligence. Your GPA represents even less.

That's more opinion than fact. I know for my own personal experiences that my intelligence is very high. Not only do I attribute it to my paying attention in school, but honestly, I owe a lot to years of watching Jeopardy and years of doing crosswords.

Another thing you guys are mixing up is Intelligence and Wisdom, there are big differences among the two. That is all.

I didn't see anyone talking about wisdom. I do agree that they are two different things, though. Later, QD.

xlilvi3tx
12-02-2007, 02:12 PM

x2
but i think kindergarten was the most important grade kuz if it wasnt for kindergarten ill be still playin with my own sh!t lol jk but yeh i use to do well i school but then once high school came, i started to lag... :dunno: and then dropped out in my sophomore year... i woulda have been a senior by now but goddamn i regret dropping out... i really would go back but im like 3 years behind... so ima be getting my GED soon and off to some community college....

redrumracer
12-03-2007, 02:43 AM

i know my IQ is 166 and i know this because i had a similar prob like you goin through school i was always bored and never paid attn. at first they thought i had ADD but after they did some test they found out i didnt so they gave my an IQ test and that was my score. i dont think i have it as bad as you though.

ZeD
12-03-2007, 01:35 PM
yes. gave me people skills, and the necessary knowledge to get into college. I'd say that's pretty good help :]

Killer
12-03-2007, 01:54 PM
Despite what you all may think, the SAT doesn't reflect **** about your intelligence. Your GPA represents even less. IQ is more of a "how big is your glass, and how fast can you fill it" type of test. Depending on your learning style you can be presented with all of the curriculum for a class and given a deadline and finish in time, and have retained more than what those in a typical classroom setting would have. Another thing you guys are mixing up is Intelligence and Wisdom, there are big differences among the two. That is all.

i was gonna try to read what you wrote here... but had a seizure instead....

as far as did school help me...

well, as far as people skills and basic computer skills.. yeah i guess it did...

but i did not go to college.. and i have a pretty decent job..

i'm 22 yrs old and am a software tech for a dental software company... i make roughly 30 a year and my ins is paid for... (which i think is pretty good considering i'm 22) i got the job because of the people i knew... not because of what i accomplished at school...

on the other hand... i think i would have rather used my potential in school instead of slacking... and gotten the scholarships i needed to attend college... so that i could have more options with what i want to do with MY life...

so short answer... it didn't help me, BUT it could have if i let it...

BiH1320
12-03-2007, 02:29 PM
Its my senior year and high school is pretty much a joke to me. I sleep in all my classes and have above 95's in all them. Maybe college will give me some sort of challenge.

wanna part out you're brain? fukin genious

dc2teg2006
12-03-2007, 02:39 PM
in some field yes, most part no!! it who you know, not what you know that matters.