PDA

View Full Version : General Chat 1996 GSR problem. HELP PLEASE!!

95civictypeR
12-01-2007, 04:20 PM
I have a ACURA INTEGRA GSR. about 2 weeks ago it started over heating and i replaced the themastat. It was doing good. then the radiator started smoking about 6 days later. I put a new one in the 27th of November, i dove it about 5 miles and it was still over heating and no heat. It went all the way to the H mark on the gauge within those 5 miles and it hasn't been on all day. then i went to hudson bridge and it wouldn't start.. then i thought it might be the spark plugs so i pulled them out.. there was oil on them.. NOT GOOD. then i bought some more and replaced them with new ones. It started right up. then i drove about 5-8 miles then it did it again. So i cleaned them of and tried it again.. NOTHING.. so i need some opinions on it.. THANKS..

EclipseE16g
12-01-2007, 04:25 PM
When you replaced the thermostats did you also bleed air from the coolant system? Sounds like you have air in your system. I might want to also replace the radiator cap too. Oil in your spark plugs might also indicated your valve cover gasket is bad, so oil is leaking from the head into the spark plug tunnel.

95civictypeR
12-01-2007, 04:30 PM
im not sure.. i just replaced it.. and put it all back together.. but i thought it might be the head gasket.. so what should i do? put a new valve cover gasket on it.. and go from there?

3.5altman
12-03-2007, 06:39 AM
I live in southside too homie, shoot me a pm maybe i can look at it and help you out

MC Hammer
12-03-2007, 07:10 AM
I have a ACURA INTEGRA GSR. about 2 weeks ago it started over heating and i replaced the themastat. It was doing good. then the radiator started smoking about 6 days later. I put a new one in the 27th of November, i dove it about 5 miles and it was still over heating and no heat. It went all the way to the H mark on the gauge within those 5 miles and it hasn't been on all day. then i went to hudson bridge and it wouldn't start.. then i thought it might be the spark plugs so i pulled them out.. there was oil on them.. NOT GOOD. then i bought some more and replaced them with new ones. It started right up. then i drove about 5-8 miles then it did it again. So i cleaned them of and tried it again.. NOTHING.. so i need some opinions on it.. THANKS..

Wow, that sounds exactly like what I'm going through. Cept, my car has 217k miles. That might have a lot to do with it. (When I find out wth is up with my car, I'll let you know. And visa versa) :goodjob: Good luck

deady
12-03-2007, 08:25 AM
have you done anything to check the head gasket? Try taking the radiotor cap off, and starting the car. If it errupts out of the radiator when you try to turn it over, i'd put my money on a blown headgasket...

anyway it was oil and anti-freeze on the plugs?

95civictypeR
12-04-2007, 07:20 PM
well not that i know of.. i only really saw the oil.. iam putting my money on the head gasket. valve seals..

ya thanks alot honda chick.. ill let you know as soon as i get the head off.. which will be either tomorrow.. or thursday..

merfwin
12-07-2007, 05:33 PM
i got a 92 integra my car was overheating 2.. it was leaking antifreeze from some of hoses.. is it leaking anti freeze?

Mr.Big
12-08-2007, 11:55 AM

sounds like u need a new head gasket

southside
12-08-2007, 12:21 PM
When you replaced the thermostats did you also bleed air from the coolant system? Sounds like you have air in your system. I might want to also replace the radiator cap too. Oil in your spark plugs might also indicated your valve cover gasket is bad, so oil is leaking from the head into the spark plug tunnel.I ll second that because my brother had bad gaskets for the spark plug holes and he had a hell of alot of oil in there.

95civictypeR
12-08-2007, 02:15 PM
ya i just took off the valve cover and its all milky so im jujst taking it all apart and rebuilding it.. thank you for everyones help..

95civictypeR
12-18-2007, 11:00 AM
ya its leaking antifreeze..

six7teen
12-18-2007, 10:36 PM
most defintiely a leak if it has the milky stuff on the valve cover. when i blew a head gasket, i was having these same problems and that same white goop. good thing is, head gaskets aren't to hard to change out on an integra!

SicK SilViA
12-19-2007, 03:03 AM
blow head gasket!

deady
12-19-2007, 04:39 PM
i only called that at like, the beginning of this month...

speedminded
12-19-2007, 05:04 PM
I have a ACURA INTEGRA GSR. about 2 weeks ago it started over heating and i replaced the themastat. It was doing good. then the radiator started smoking about 6 days later. I put a new one in the 27th of November, i dove it about 5 miles and it was still over heating and no heat. It went all the way to the H mark on the gauge within those 5 miles and it hasn't been on all day. then i went to hudson bridge and it wouldn't start.. then i thought it might be the spark plugs so i pulled them out.. there was oil on them.. NOT GOOD. then i bought some more and replaced them with new ones. It started right up. then i drove about 5-8 miles then it did it again. So i cleaned them of and tried it again.. NOTHING.. so i need some opinions on it.. THANKS..If a radiator is "smoking" there's more issues then anyone but QD and his gang of ghostbusters can solve.

...Now if there is steam coming out it's a different issue that may be some what mortal. An aluminum engine on "H" is gonna be jacked, 99.9% guarantee you that at least the head and probably the block is warped.

Remember head gaskets don't blow for ****s & giggles, especially on an N/A engine unless there is extreme pressure inside. the head gasket did not cause any of your problems, it was a result of prior issues...people always say "my head gasket blew and it did this and this and this because of it" ...nooo it blew because it overheated.

I'll add more later!