PDA

View Full Version : Close ass call last night on the road...

quickdodge®
12-01-2007, 10:38 AM
I'm on my way in from Asheville, NC last night and, around midnight, I'm passing through Anderson, SC on 85 South when I pass one of those charter buses. I was moving at the speed limit of 65 when the bus had gained speed and he passed me at about 80 mph. But no sooner than he cleared my front end with his rear end that both, NOT ONE, but both his left rear tires blew out at damn near the same time. Flames came out of the left rear wheel well and he fish-tailed right in front of me and I hit the brakes. Having an empty trailer doesn't make for good, safe quick stop so my trailer started trying overlap me. I was in the far right lane, the bus in the middle and a car was in the left lane. As my trailer moved into the middle lane, the bus driver overcorrected himself and had his bus fish-tail over into the left lane....causing that car to swerve over right in front of me and then it slammed on it's brakes. I had already begun downshifting to help slow me down and relieve brake pressure. At this point, I upshifted into a gear higher than what I needed to be in and floored it. This brought the trailer right back behind me, the car finally moved out from in front of me and the bus fish-tailed all the onto the shoulder literally riding the guardrail until it came to a stop. The bus also developed flames in the front passenger side wheel well.

Here is the kind of bus it was:

http://www.usabuscharter.com/ext03_m.jpg

That was some wild ****. I was already contemplating pulling over for a power nap to get myself on home, but after this, I didn't need it. Fun times, lolol. Later, QD.

XLR8NMR2
12-01-2007, 10:40 AM
becareful out there son

Thighs
12-01-2007, 10:42 AM
awesome.

Schugg
12-01-2007, 11:04 AM
i remember riding one of those buses and i was sitting right above the back wheels and one blew out, we ended up being stuck there for 2 hours waiting for another one

Sol-Badguy
12-01-2007, 11:05 AM
Whoa.

Crazy when stuff like that happens.

xlilvi3tx
12-01-2007, 11:12 AM
final destination...... nah just playin. that some crazy stuff though

JITB
12-01-2007, 11:13 AM
man imagine seein some **** like that as a bystander...lol

looked like a bus and a semi have a drift off down the hwy!

u know what u doin in that rig i suppose.. BE SAFE!

silversol
12-01-2007, 11:13 AM
wow thats crazy! that would have scared the **** out of me!

Blitanicle99
12-01-2007, 11:29 AM
Its good to hear your alright man. You truck drivers can fawking drive!

The Ninja
12-01-2007, 11:52 AM
Tch...pics.... I have no ****ing imagination.

redrumracer
12-01-2007, 11:59 AM
Great job on keeping your truck out of it :goodjob: :goodjob: :goodjob:

Mr. Clean
12-01-2007, 12:05 PM
pic from the scene:

http://www.gluttonsess.com/blog/Bus_20fire_small.jpg

LiL PaKi
12-01-2007, 12:06 PM
damn that sucks.. but at least no one actually hit anyone or got hurt.. careful.. and power naps are good haha even after u think u are awake

1000cckiller
12-01-2007, 12:06 PM
becareful out there sondamn go back to that hole, you have been in for the past couple of months.

Mr. Clean
12-01-2007, 12:10 PM
then QD's rig transformed and threw the bus out of his way so he could safely deliver his wal-mart goodies to all the starvin children in gainesville!

http://cache.jalopnik.com/cars/assets/resources/2007/04/TF-Screen-Shot-01.jpg

LiL PaKi
12-01-2007, 12:19 PM
^^ LOL!!!

1000cckiller
12-01-2007, 12:25 PM
^^ LOL!!!x2. Well at least you are safe mike.

JackMaster
12-01-2007, 01:54 PM
just out of sheer curiosity... On big trucks with the double wheels on each side, what if only ONE of the tires blew out, would the bus driver been able to maintain control? Basically I'm asking whats the purpose of the double tires (duallys)?

mocha latte cupcake
12-01-2007, 02:03 PM
ok well look i was the first to get the REAL call so since mike is obviously not telling the truth i better tell it... heres how it really happened...

basically QD made a bet with someone who shall remain nameless.. cough brett cough that he could drift his semi WHILE in a straight line then correct to resume a forward non sideways motion.... however in his OVER CONFIDENCE... he forgot to take into account the fear factor this produces in other people on the road.... that poor civic driver from the story... chris... was scared poo-less and had no choice but to jam the "infamous honda ABS aka no brakes worky" and left his patent pending 2 wheels of doom, what mike didn't see what actually PBS driving the bus and like a typical hood figger he didn't check his hooptee ride before "rolling out" and him and shawna got into this HUGE arguement about who's the better post whore... all the while "the ren" was on the phone with brady from S3 discussing the matters of.. yousef's sex change... sigh and of course there was cognac on board... no DUI's PBS! and he simply let the bottle slip OUT the window and onto the road, busting the bottle spilling its contents onto the super heated brake rotors, causing an explosion of enormous magnitude rupturing the rear tires... cause QD to be UNABLE to FEINT into his special move "the drifting ghost of semi 85 terror"....

/story :D now that the records straight i feel better :D

Leadfoot_mf
12-01-2007, 02:06 PM
just out of sheer curiosity... On big trucks with the double wheels on each side, what if only ONE of the tires blew out, would the bus driver been able to maintain control? Basically I'm asking whats the purpose of the double tires (duallys)?
common sense is not your friend double wheels allow more load capacity each tire depending on size and air pressure have a max load capacity. more wheels more load. :goodjob:

Leadfoot_mf
12-01-2007, 02:07 PM
so QD did u stop to change your depends or did you just keep on truckin?

Frög
12-01-2007, 02:09 PM
thats what you get for racing a bus!!! :D

SicStang03
12-01-2007, 02:11 PM
At least that thing didn't flip over....

BTW: we all know you were racing, just admit it.... LOL

edit: damn, I'm late ^^^^

Bballjamal
12-01-2007, 02:11 PM
Stuff like that always has me contemplating this team driving thing we're planning. A rig+trailer just covers too much ground when trying to nimble your way through a possible wreck.

Of course, glad you're all good :goodjob:

§treet_§peed
12-01-2007, 02:19 PM
ok well look i was the first to get the REAL call so since mike is obviously not telling the truth i better tell it... heres how it really happened...

basically QD made a bet with someone who shall remain nameless.. cough brett cough that he could drift his semi WHILE in a straight line then correct to resume a forward non sideways motion.... however in his OVER CONFIDENCE... he forgot to take into account the fear factor this produces in other people on the road.... that poor civic driver from the story... chris... was scared poo-less and had no choice but to jam the "infamous honda ABS aka no brakes worky" and left his patent pending 2 wheels of doom, what mike didn't see what actually PBS driving the bus and like a typical hood figger he didn't check his hooptee ride before "rolling out" and him and shawna got into this HUGE arguement about who's the better post whore... all the while "the ren" was on the phone with brady from S3 discussing the matters of.. yousef's sex change... sigh and of course there was cognac on board... no DUI's PBS! and he simply let the bottle slip OUT the window and onto the road, busting the bottle spilling its contents onto the super heated brake rotors, causing an explosion of enormous magnitude rupturing the rear tires... cause QD to be UNABLE to FEINT into his special move "the drifting ghost of semi 85 terror"....

/story :D now that the records straight i feel better :Dlol

ahmonrah
12-01-2007, 06:22 PM
whew!!!! that sounded fun!!!

QD, the pucker factor was rated what......1million?!
i'm sure at the next stop you made, the seat had to be extricated from the rear!!
good driving you did, but i'm sure the seat was gripped!

con
12-01-2007, 06:54 PM
good save man, would hate to see another trucking accident. they rarely end in favor of all parties involved.

VooDooXII
12-01-2007, 08:58 PM
Scary as that is, I can't tell you how unbelievably bad-ass it would be to see.

Careful out there...good to know everyone's alright.

ahmonrah
12-01-2007, 11:36 PM
it's been even better to have had cameras mounted in the truck cabin(face: fro his reaction, interior (to see from his perspective) and a camera to see his footwerk/clutching) with a handheld camera to record the whole scene. then put it all together.

looks like the scca has done good fer the ole' guy!! lol!

Echonova
12-01-2007, 11:53 PM
common sense is not your friend double wheels allow more load capacity each tire depending on size and air pressure have a max load capacity. more wheels more load. :goodjob:God!!!! I am so tired of folks giving false info on this site!!! Everyone knows (or should know) that the more wheels you have the cooler you are. I'm converting my Silvia to JDM dually this weekend. Way to ruin it for us all Tim...

quickdodge®
12-02-2007, 12:23 AM

The correct answer was given by leadfoot. What happened to the bus is one tire blew out and the rim hit the ground flaming up and it ignited the other tire and of course busted that one out. Later, QD.

07civicsi4dr
12-02-2007, 01:54 AM
in some situations you can have a single tire blow out on your tandems and still maintain control not all but some

i have blown out my left outside trailer tire before and was able to have control with out any problems even when i was hauling a 47000 pound load of glass

Mayniac
12-02-2007, 01:56 AM
How did I miss this thread?

Its good to hear that you made it out alive, Mike. Must have been pretty scary for a good min.

GSRteg®
12-02-2007, 02:10 AM
Close call

MC Hammer
12-02-2007, 02:39 AM
oh dang. that sucks. good thing you and ur car made it out ok :goodjob:

VooDooXII
12-02-2007, 02:41 AM
oh dang. that sucks. good thing you and ur car made it out ok :goodjob:

Read again.

2Fast4Radar
12-02-2007, 10:03 AM