PDA

View Full Version : Got engine noise?

Allstar3.8T
11-30-2007, 12:44 PM
Alot of people, most actually, that enjoy car audio have tried chasing down engine noise, and heard all the "tricks" to fixxing this. (Grounding together, or all at battery, or use triple shielded RCAs etc etc)...all are false or half true at best. Below is a reply from audio guru, and king of 12 v knowledge Richard Clark describing why noise happens, and how to keep it from happening, or minimizing its effect in the car. Its a long read, but faster than ripping a set of RCAs out.

"Let me give an abbreviated explanation of how a signal conductor usually picks up alternator wine------if you are familiar with a transformer you know a few basic things-----current flows through the primary winding and creates a magnetic field in the core-----this magnetic field in turn causes a current in the secondary winding since it also is looped around the magnetic core------the way alternator whine is injected into a signal conductor of a car is exactly the same way-------in a car we don't have a primary winding but we do have current flowing through the conductive chassis/body of the car because all of the electrical components in the car use the chassis as a negative conductor------this flow of current creates a magnetic field within the confines of the car-------any wire that forms a loop within this area will have a current induced into it-----a loop would be defined as a any part of a complete circuit run between two components-----any wire run through this area will have noise if current is flowing in the chassis-------its impossible for it not to have noise-----the goal in a scientific install is to minimize the "loop area" so the noise is below audible levels-----in any system installed in a car with enough gain applied or sensitive enough test equipment there WILL BE NOISE IF CURRENT IS FLOWING IN THE CHASSIS------the larger the loop the more the current and the more loops the more the voltage----------a single RCA run through the car will pick up very little of this noise because the loop area is minimal but it does exist--------a stereo pair of "RCA" will have even more loop area------a comolded pair will have less loop area than a seperate pair of wires------smaller wires will have less loop area than larger wires--------big fat "triple shielded" wires are the worst for noise---------when a pair is run down one side of the car and another pair is run down the other side it is an invitation for disaster since the loop area between opposite sides of the car is gigantic------the best course of action is to keep both pairs of conductors together as close as possible (taping or using loom) so the loop area of the 4 conductors is as small as possible--------of course it varies from car to car depending on actual current paths in the chassis, actual amount of current, vicinity of the wire to the chassis and other factors------BUT the most important thing to understand about this VERY COMMON type of noise is that shielding is TOTALLY ineffective to reduce it---------thats why in the toughest autosound noise cases the quietest wire is extremely small UTP (unshielded twisted pair) as long as there isn't a source of electrostatic noise (such as sparkplug or switching transients) that can only be stopped by shielding----------home stereos don't have this problem since homes are usually made of non conductive wood and we run neutral return conductors for the electric loads-------in homes we have to worry about the actual transformer cores in the individual components, light dimmers etc..........................RC"

Hope this helps, its like being told how to build a watch when asking what time it is, but some of us gotta know "why?!"

BanginJimmy
11-30-2007, 07:38 PM
very good read. I know for a fact that I have spent hour apon hour chasing alt whine and never finding a real solution.

Dracc
11-30-2007, 07:46 PM
good read ...

THEONE
11-30-2007, 08:12 PM
i had engine noise in my 97 s-10 but only when i added a 4 channel amp for mids and hi's . a guy at my work said change the plug wires i did and the noise went away. dont know if it was a lucky guess but it worked. i never seem to have any noise until i add a amp for mids or hi's lows are always tight and clean... weird

David88vert
11-30-2007, 10:49 PM
Mr. Clark is only explaining one type of inducted signal noise in that explanation. That is a common method of signal noise, but less common than variances in ground potential. He has an excellent discertation on that also, but I'm not sure it is still published. Last time I saw that was when we were discussing it back in 93 when he was visiting. He is extremely intelligent and non-condescending when he explains acoustical physics.

There are a variety of ways to limit potential ground noice inductions when you initially install. As he stated, running the signal down the same side closely is a wise choice. Additionally, as he stated, the proper choice of signal cable is important. I also prefer to eliminate the potential of ground variances by making certain that the source signal emitter (and any signal modifiers), see the same ground potential as the signal amplifiers. Finally, all amplified signal conductors must not be allowed to have any ground potential with any current carrying surface.

And there are still more ways to get noise on top of that.

Banging Jimmy, I still have a copy of Alpine's GAIT Encyclopedia of Car Audio (1991 edition) that I don't need. Chapter 7 is all about noise reduction. Interested in getting it from me? I haven't been in the industry in years, so I really don't need it anymore. I've also got an old copy of Pioneer's AutoSound Installation Manual (1982 edition).

Allstar3.8T
12-03-2007, 10:24 AM
David, yup, that was an explination of one type, but he says its the basis to all noise in theory. RC is a crazy yet cool and very misunderstood dude, who is a lil cocky, but has given us so much knowledge, I take it as earned and ok w/ me. I know we have a few audio purists here, so just wanted to share a lil.
Have a good one guys,

David88vert
12-03-2007, 04:36 PM
David, yup, that was an explination of one type, but he says its the basis to all noise in theory. RC is a crazy yet cool and very misunderstood dude, who is a lil cocky, but has given us so much knowledge, I take it as earned and ok w/ me. I know we have a few audio purists here, so just wanted to share a lil.
Have a good one guys,

Quite a few years ago, Richard Clark and his then business partner, David Navone, came into town for an audio competition and had lunch with a friend of mine who was then the Orion rep. He called me out to have lunch with them. I was amazed at their knowledge. Both of them are extremely intelligent, and yes, he is a little cocky, but it's understandable.

.blank cd
12-03-2007, 10:48 PM
i have almost 0 noise :D

Kyle
12-03-2007, 10:59 PM
I have a whining noise when accelerating. I didn't have it when my car audio was originally installed. Then I took it out and put it back in(I don't remember when)and i have noise. It may be something else but its irritating me.

patrick4588
12-04-2007, 01:37 AM
i have never had this issue before. customers have complained, but ive never had it with my particular setup in any vehicle.

Allstar3.8T
12-04-2007, 08:28 AM
I have been talking with RC and Navone recently, there was a couple of guys with noise issues and they were going thru a systematic approach they developed to track noise they say is 100% effective. It is the system they used w/ everyone from Car Audio manufacturers as well as Auto makers for new applications where there are alot of accessories. When they have solved this one they are going to release their methods and explinations for finding noise and stopping it.
Navone is still doing Autosound2000, and RC still is helping Navone with all his ventures, as well as trying someone to take his $10,000 amp challenge (as seen on autosound2000.com)

type-r swap
12-04-2007, 08:42 PM
nice

fucksohc
12-05-2007, 12:26 PM
good read!!

reps :goodjob:

Jaimecbr900
12-05-2007, 12:44 PM
Wow, those are two names I haven't heard in a long time....Clark and Navone. Pretty cool stuff. Didn't Clark design some amps and stuff for somebody? I can't remember now.

Allstar3.8T
12-10-2007, 10:37 AM
Clark did alot for alot of PPL, most people put him w/ USD Audio, and the noise gates he helped them design and market. I still have a set of USD waveguides, way before Image Dynamics was doing them. That means I am old school btw.... :P

LSkid96
01-16-2008, 02:21 AM
av cords is all that is really but good read

b@d @pple
01-16-2008, 07:08 AM

retard..what hell are you talking about?

Allstar3.8T
01-16-2008, 09:58 AM
2 for 2. That 2 posts I read where your response makes no sense, and has zero factual basis. Are you trying to get a high post count or prove your ignorance?