PDA

View Full Version : gas in oil???????

dkjohnson04
11-29-2007, 10:26 PM
i have a 96 teg ls and my gas mileage has went to **** in the last week for some reason...??? I'm gonna change my fuel filter this weekend but i read somethin about gas in the oil and when i changed the oil saturday i smelled no gas but when i checked it tonight the dipstick reeks of gas. checked all spark plugs to see if they smell like gas and they dont........they are actually kinda white which i think means i runnin lean... anybody have any suggestions or input?? Also i did a comp. check like a month ago and had 170 or 175.. i forget..across the board (i know they were all exactly the same)

thanks

-dustin-

BABY J
11-29-2007, 10:31 PM
chances are that you are throwing an 02 sensor code - yes?

If not - check your PCV valve - just replace it anyway, they are cheap. Also make sure all injectors are seated properly.

Also - change your oil - even a small amount of gas can turn oil into damn near water - it loses all of it's viscosity and the oil won't hold pressure or protect engine parts.

dkjohnson04
11-29-2007, 10:34 PM
no check engine lights....which is weird cause my cat has been gutted for 6 months.. i thought that would throw cel!!!!!!!!!

BABY J
11-29-2007, 10:35 PM
^^ re-read my post (EDITED)

BABY J
11-29-2007, 10:39 PM
If you have smoke - ur lookin at piston rings - but ur COMPRESSION test numbers look great.

dkjohnson04
11-29-2007, 10:40 PM
i just replaced pcv valve last night and changed the oil saturday...should i really change it again just to be sure.... i took oil cap off and smelled inside valve cover and it smelled like oil just the dipstick smell like gas???weird

dkjohnson04
11-29-2007, 10:43 PM
no smoke just the usual white foggy **** on a cold mornin but goes away after 2-3 minute warm up!!

Init2winit
11-30-2007, 06:13 AM
If there is gas in the oil, its rich as ****, and the fuel is pushing by the rings. Need to check the ect sensor. They are designed to richen the engine when its cold, to help warm up faster, and if the sensor fails, it may still be telling the computer to feed more fuel even when its hot, which results in a rich condition.

dkjohnson04
11-30-2007, 06:25 AM
will it be ok just to drive it to work... about 20 miles round trip???

Init2winit
11-30-2007, 07:17 AM
will it be ok just to drive it to work... about 20 miles round trip???Yeah, but long term it isn't good. It kills the oil, which will effect the engine. Not to mention, the ****ty gas mileage. You need to take it somewhere that can check the data stream and see the sensor voltage and such. It very well may not be the problem, but its somewhere to start.

dkjohnson04
11-30-2007, 07:20 PM
my buddy is a mechanic and he just looked at it and said everything is ok he just said keep an eye on the oil level and if it rises or the car starts smokin alot bring it back to him........o'well thanks for the input anyways reps given!!