PDA

View Full Version : About to get 1st bike

Gutling
11-29-2007, 06:49 AM
So, I am about to buy my friends first bike. He bought it as his first about two years ago, and now wants to upgrade to something bigger. Its a 2002 Suzuki Bandit 600S. I know its not super powerful or anything, but I am a realistic person. This is my first bike, my first time even riding a bike so I want something good to learn on. Has anyone had one or ridden one before?

Cool Cat Racing
11-29-2007, 08:54 AM
They are nice to start on. They don't have as much grunt as the SV650's but still a nice ride. I like the half faired bikes, I've got an 04 SV650S, and the power is plenty until you learn to use it. Its not straight line rocket but it will get you going faster than most cars and sips gas. You will learn more about riding on a smaller bike than getting something larger. When you're ready to get something else then just do what your friend did and upgrade.

Grimm Reeper
11-29-2007, 12:18 PM
How much is he asking for it? *just out of curiosity*

ftp
11-29-2007, 05:03 PM
bandit 600's are not really a good bike in any aspect..get a ex500 or an sv650 imo

Gutling
11-29-2007, 08:18 PM
$2300. i think 5900 miles.

nipponLIFE
11-30-2007, 04:17 PM
i just got my bandit like idk 3 months ago or so...and i love it...its my frist street bike...handles nice...i mean i got full header/exhaust yoshi kit on it and it picks up pretty nice...so far so good...it is a heavier bike compared to my friends 636 or gsxr6 but its alot of fun to ride...thats not a reallyb ad price either especially for the miles...i think that so far its a great starter bike...and believe me man..once u get A bike doesnt really matter WHAT bike it is...u are gonna LOVE it...ur gonna love riding especially if its a new experience too u...i mean i personally think for the money the 600 has the power style and lil perks that make it a great first bike....and it also looks beefy-er than it really is which makes it even better...i pull up to a 636 and my **** looks huge..LOL much slower thogh...idk i like it...one thing to keep in mind man...its got an oldschool katana motor out of the old gsx-f (hence the model code "gsf-600s") on the 600 which gives it pretty good midrange...and the 1200cc model has a bored out 1100 gsx-r motor on it from what i understand..the only reason ppl hate on it is because it uses older technology...carbs....not feul injected...but it has a good tokico breaking system and the suzuki motor can take a beating....i mean if u can get a sv for the money id probably say go for that..i got my bandit for super super cheap and i like it alot.... might even keep it once i get another bike idk...but if its ur first bike and u dont wanna get a ninja 250 (SLOW) the 600s will keep u interested while teachin u the basics and i personally love the half-fairing style...thats kinda why im lookin into either a 650sv gettin an r6 and doin some fairing reduction :)..... im still a noob but if u read up about the bandit u will not be terribly dissappointed...its not a NOOOB bike...its just a bike meant for transit...i mean its not a racer from the factory...it really wasnt built for it...its just a good motorcycle..its pretty easy to work on too if u ever do have any probs......

SORRY i was rambling...BUT I SAY GO FOR IT! once u get everything up and goin maybe ill meet u up for a bandit ride! LOL

Peace bro...be safe and have fun...DONT GET COCKY LOL...

later!

GB

Mk3Jesse
12-01-2007, 03:34 PM
nice bike for 2300 just fine to learn on then you can upgrade to your "dream" bike or what ever you want :)

Cool Cat Racing
12-03-2007, 03:44 PM
Nippon, you should look at the FZr6. Looks like a half faired R6, not as much power but still a fun ride.

Gutling
02-17-2008, 08:45 AM
So to bring up a thread, I am picking up the bandit next weekend. Just waiting on my gear to come in and got to get insurance this week. Me and two buddies of mine spent the weekend riding. He has two 06 gsxr 600s, and he is selling one my friend. So it was mine and his first riding experience this weekend. He has ridden before, so knew what he was doing just not very experienced. Friday was my first day ever sitting on a bike, lol. So they gave me a basic run threw of what stuff did and was, and off I went. By yesterday evening I was doing quite well, up to road speeds and cornering and such. Lol one thing I learned is a bike seems stupid fast, like I could have sworn i was doing 80+ and looked down and i am doing like 40mph lolol. It red lines at 13-14k i think, i never went over 4k ha ha. My buddy was driving the red gixxer he was buying, and i was driving my friends blue gixxer. It was awesome, i don't think driving a car was such a rush the first time lol. But we both got full good gear coming, dot/snell helmet, and we are going to sign up for some msf courses real soon. when we were putzing around a parking lot, lol he was rolling about 1-2mph and couldn't get it to turn as he was heading for a wall so he had to bail lol. didn't hurt nothing but his pride. then yesterday after noon while practicing turning around i went in some gravel, and when i hit the brake (of course way to hard, lol i am learning) it just skidded straight and i had to bail lol and it bumped into a mailbox. but bike fine, just good safe learning experiences. sorry long post but i am stoked ha ha.

EJ25RUN
02-17-2008, 10:19 AM
tak the georgia motorcycle class.

dLux636
02-17-2008, 12:08 PM
bandits are comfortable to ride in my opinion. alright bike, esp for a first bike. SV's are still the best beginner bikes.

Halfwit
02-18-2008, 04:05 PM
So to bring up a thread, I am picking up the bandit next weekend. Just waiting on my gear to come in and got to get insurance this week. Me and two buddies of mine spent the weekend riding. He has two 06 gsxr 600s, and he is selling one my friend. So it was mine and his first riding experience this weekend. He has ridden before, so knew what he was doing just not very experienced. Friday was my first day ever sitting on a bike, lol. So they gave me a basic run threw of what stuff did and was, and off I went. By yesterday evening I was doing quite well, up to road speeds and cornering and such. Lol one thing I learned is a bike seems stupid fast, like I could have sworn i was doing 80+ and looked down and i am doing like 40mph lolol. It red lines at 13-14k i think, i never went over 4k ha ha. My buddy was driving the red gixxer he was buying, and i was driving my friends blue gixxer. It was awesome, i don't think driving a car was such a rush the first time lol. But we both got full good gear coming, dot/snell helmet, and we are going to sign up for some msf courses real soon. when we were putzing around a parking lot, lol he was rolling about 1-2mph and couldn't get it to turn as he was heading for a wall so he had to bail lol. didn't hurt nothing but his pride. then yesterday after noon while practicing turning around i went in some gravel, and when i hit the brake (of course way to hard, lol i am learning) it just skidded straight and i had to bail lol and it bumped into a mailbox. but bike fine, just good safe learning experiences. sorry long post but i am stoked ha ha.
bout the same as i felt the first time i rode.

Tarzanman
02-29-2008, 09:56 PM
bandits are comfortable to ride in my opinion. alright bike, esp for a first bike. SV's are still the best beginner bikes.

SV's have a little bit more low-end torque than I would give a beginner. Katana 600 or any other sub 80hp inline-4 engine or sub 50hp twin engine is best.

Smittie61984
03-01-2008, 10:36 AM
SV's have a little bit more low-end torque than I would give a beginner. Katana 600 or any other sub 80hp inline-4 engine or sub 50hp twin engine is best.

SVs are good beginner bikes for someone with say some ATV experience(Clutch work) or some dirtbike experience(Trail bikes). Which a SV650s was the first bike I ever rode which belonged ot a friend. It's a good beginner bike but the TQ can get you into a lot of trouble. Usually from downshifting too soon and skidding the rear.

But SVs are great bikes.

The Bandits are great too.

Z0_o6
03-02-2008, 06:11 PM
just be careful. i was riding my R1 yesterday, and long story short, ***** pulled out in front of me and i'm typing this with a broke hand, road rash, and loratab.

ride with the understanding that you can be hurt/killed any time, any place.

Gutling
03-02-2008, 08:05 PM
lol i do a lot of things under that impression
For real though, im glad your okay. A friend of mine died a few years back when a old woman just pulled out in front of him on his bike. Theres a lot of people that should not be driving.

Z0_o6
03-03-2008, 03:02 PM
amen to that, brother.

EJ25RUN
03-03-2008, 03:03 PM
just be careful. i was riding my R1 yesterday, and long story short, ***** pulled out in front of me and i'm typing this with a broke hand, road rash, and loratab.

ride with the understanding that you can be hurt/killed any time, any place.

sorry bout that dude. You are 100% right about that.

Z0_o6
03-06-2008, 08:11 PM
it's harsh, but its the best advice i can give.

the biggest thing i forgot, especially with summer coming up, don't get on that bike without proper gear. i'd rather be burning up than sliding on the asphalt with no protection.