PDA

View Full Version : Brake Light and CEL!?!

white 99 gsr
11-28-2007, 10:23 PM
Anyone know why my brake light in the dash would start flashing and beeping? It started about the time it started getting cold. I have a MKIV GTI 1.8T. Also my CEL is on and the code says "engine cooling system performance". Any ideas?:???:

sjettav
11-29-2007, 09:26 PM
coolant temp sensor maybe. brake light not sure. Usually it will some on to tell you to stop. Try the wear sensors, they will kick a light on too.

http://forums.vwvortex.com/zeroforum?id=4

white 99 gsr
12-01-2007, 10:28 AM
I just changed the coolant temp. sensor a couple of months ago. Maybe I should try flushing the system? Maybe I could change the brakes... I haven't changed them since I bought the car last Aug. I'll try that and let you know.

Thanks for the input.

SPOOLIN5.0
12-01-2007, 07:01 PM
I just changed the coolant temp. sensor a couple of months ago. Maybe I should try flushing the system? Maybe I could change the brakes... I haven't changed them since I bought the car last Aug. I'll try that and let you know.

Thanks for the input.

If you just changed the ect then you are going to need a thermostat. If the red brake llight is beeping at you then you are prob low on brake fluid..

Gutling
12-01-2007, 07:14 PM
yea check brake fluid first, also visually look at your calipers, make sure a abs line or brake line isnt cut or bent or something. Had a truck a week ago come in he had run over a log and it cut his rear abs line