PDA

View Full Version : b18b problem discuss..

mr.koupe
11-28-2007, 12:56 PM
i have a 99 gs, 146k with the completely stock b18b in it. it burns a little oil on startup and i keep oil in it and keep it full as needed, about a half to a qt a week est. i grandpa drive this thing and i was driving along the road one day and it began to misfire badly out to the blue. i pulled all of the plugs and cyl # 3 was completely fouled. i replaced all of the plugs with new ngk's and still, misfire on cyl #3. i did a compression check and all of the cylinders had ok compression accept #3. Now my question is which likely was the cause of failure, something in the cylinder head or the piston ring ? i am leaning more toward the head because of the way it was only smoking cold and at idle / i believed valve stem seals were the culprit.. but.. doesn't oil cause premature wear on a ring ? or am i mistaken .. i am eventually going to tear down the engine and build it and plan on posting the teardown and build over the next few months but i would like just to discuss maybe some previous experiences you guys may have had with similar issues..

thanks

reps given for appropriate discussion and helpful responses :goodjob:

mr.koupe
11-28-2007, 05:33 PM
wow i guess theres nothing to talk about here haha ///

andrewz21
11-28-2007, 06:13 PM
damn dude i wish i knew i have that same motor in my civic i started to notic a lil back fire coming from her at randome moments only when im slowing down and i have a cat and everything and dont have a raspy exsaust i hope this isnt a early sign of mine doing that ??

mr.koupe
11-29-2007, 07:27 AM
ok i did a leakdown test its the head... just to let you all know that came and read this and didnt respond... lol