PDA

View Full Version : Power Mods boost troubles

THEONE
07-28-2005, 09:13 PM
the car is a 91 eagle talon,the problem is when i first got the car it pulled nicely for a stock setup it also had a nasty exaust leak on the flex pipe.i had the pipe replaced and no more leak.after i had it replaced the factory boost guage goes up to 10psi maybe a little more but it does not feel the same.i checked for leaks and replaced a split hose.i still have the same problem boost goes up the car does very little.could the catalitic converter be the problem or is it something else? any ideas? it also feels like what little pull it has falls off at 5000rpms.

flysi00
07-28-2005, 09:57 PM
i had the same question after i got my exhuast done it was doing the same thing

THEONE
07-28-2005, 10:02 PM
i had the same question after i got my exhuast done it was doing the same thing
is it still doing this or did you figure it out?

flysi00
07-28-2005, 10:20 PM
its still doing it i had 3 shops look at it plus some poelpe here on the IA and they say its from having a exhuast i was runing just down pipe and after the 3in exhuast it got so much slower i was thinking oh shit i got a boost leak or something but it wasnt its just from fixing the exhuast

so i guess with u for fixing the hole u mad your car slower lol

THEONE
07-28-2005, 10:27 PM
i guess i will un hook the exuast from the cat and see what happens.i want what little power this car has back.this makes no sense to me at all switch the downpipe to a 2 1/2 inch fix a leak and loose power.what the hell?

flysi00
07-28-2005, 11:01 PM
yeah i know i feel the same way i just havnt had time to take off my exhuast and see

twkg
07-29-2005, 01:15 AM
ur just lazy :D

flysi00
07-29-2005, 09:48 AM
lol i know ^^^^

THEONE
07-29-2005, 08:35 PM
ive also noticed that it feels more powerful at part throttle,if i floor it then it sucks.

Proc32
07-29-2005, 09:45 PM
should have keeped the hatch, It never had boost trouble :)

THEONE
07-29-2005, 10:18 PM
should have keeped the hatch, It never had boost trouble :)
yeah i know,im an idiot and i got fucked.but what goes around comes around and when it comes around its a bitch.thats the price i pay for being to trusting.

BlackDubs
07-30-2005, 10:04 AM
yeah i know,im an idiot and i got fucked.but what goes around comes around and when it comes around its a bitch.thats the price i pay for being to trusting.

Thats pretty fucked up. But karma is a bitch. Just put that leak back where it was Mike. lol

redlinenprelude
08-07-2005, 04:05 PM
are you still running the stock boost guage?

stockers are horrible inaccurate..
good luck!

THEONE
08-07-2005, 04:32 PM
are you still running the stock boost guage?

stockers are horrible inaccurate..
good luck!

yes its a stock guage,i have another but i have not put it in yet.it still sucks and i have found and fixed all boost leaks and it still sucks ass.i hate this car i think im going to crush it....seriously...

Spyder
08-09-2005, 04:31 PM
stock gauges in those cars are based on the "estimated" air flow at a given time in relation to and "estimated throttle position" they have nothing to do with actual boost. buy yourself a boost gauge and forget that factory POS is even there.

on to the next thing, if you had an exhaust leak fixed it will run a bit slower because the turbo has back pressure, as well as the motor, because of these things the motor doesnt breath as well and the turbo doesnt spool as fast. you asked if it could be a stopped up cat? sure it could be, that isnt likely it. more then likely you know what it used to sound like and it sounded faster.. i know that sounds funny but you can ride in a car that is loud as hell then one that is quiet and fast, the louded one seems faster even if they are the same speed.

SilverJester
08-10-2005, 01:40 AM
^^he's right. The leak acts sort of like a cutout letting more exhuast escape earlier, thus less back pressure.

But you may still have a boost leak, have you tested for them yet? It's really easy and cheap (under $5) to make a tester. And if you have another boost gauge install it. I neer really understood how people could read the stock ones anyways...it's not like they are marked in any sort of units, they're just this needle that goes up and down :confused: :jester:

disco
08-11-2005, 06:01 PM
get a boost gauge first. See how many lbs it's boosting to. Most of the time if you add a new exhaust you'll boost less. If so you'll need a manual boost controler to keep the boost at stock levels.

SilverJester
08-12-2005, 03:23 AM
Actually if you add a bigger exhuast, you will boost higher. Less back pressure makes it easier to turn the turbine wheel.

ahmonrah
08-16-2005, 07:41 PM
yes its a stock guage,i have another but i have not put it in yet.it still sucks and i have found and fixed all boost leaks and it still sucks ass.i hate this car i think im going to crush it....seriously...
just park it on some acreage and lets shoot it.....i'll bring my toys ! nah j/k how youdoin bodydropped??!! you stil running the same place ?

Spyder
08-16-2005, 07:52 PM
Actually if you add a bigger exhuast, you will boost higher. Less back pressure makes it easier to turn the turbine wheel.

correct with higher flowing exhaust the car will spool harder and faster.

smokinblackneon
09-02-2005, 07:30 PM
the easy thing is to do is to # out hte problems #1 un hook the cat carry it down the street yes it will be loud see if it will fix it if not hook it back up then so on just rule out the next thing you think it will be