PDA

View Full Version : A vehicle that has sat for about one year....

Nemesis
11-27-2007, 09:01 AM
My Cougar has been slightly neglected in the past year since I bought my WRX, however Im trying to get it up and on the road this December/January. So here is what I know

- The car is a 2000 and has only 65k miles.
- The oil has not been changed, Ive always ran synthetic
- I have Koni Yellow 5 ways/Ground Controls
-Ive replaced the plugs and regreased the wires (dielectric)
- I believe there is a 1/4 of tank of gas left in it
- Its been cranked up 3 times in the past year and moved about 20 some feet.

So what do I need to look for and what do I need to do in order to make sure the rebirth goes smoothly?

Justin.
11-27-2007, 09:09 AM
change the oil, crank it, let it idle till all the gas gets out, change the oil again and should be good.

speedminded
11-27-2007, 09:13 AM
The cat sleeping under the hood (no pun intended since it's a cougar :tongue: )

Init2winit
11-27-2007, 09:15 AM
Brake fluid probably has moisture in it.....it would be a good idea to flush it.

IDCoconut
I had to do that to my car when we pulled it out of the trailer that it sat in for 9months.

The only things I changed were the plugs, wires, fuel filter, and battery.

When it came to the gas, the car had a full tank so I drained all of it and flushed the fuel lines from the engine bay back to the lines to the tank using low pressure air from an air compressor. I did this just incase the gas did gunk up. Most of the time if it's just 1yr, it should be fine, but I did it anyway. Since it's just 1/4 tank, I'd just use some starting fluid on the intake and add a can of octane booster to the gas. If it doesn't start, then drain the gas.

Vteckidd
change the oil
change the fuel filter
let it run

you prob should really drain all the gas out, but you might be ok just letting it run

Vteckidd
11-27-2007, 09:16 AM
DO NOT USE STARTING FLUID UNLESS YOU LIKE TO MELT VALVES AND START FIRES

Nemesis
11-27-2007, 09:22 AM
Thanks for the tips, guys.

speedminded
11-27-2007, 09:23 AM
I had to do that to my car when we pulled it out of the trailer that it sat in for 9months.

The only things I changed were the plugs, wires, fuel filter, and battery.

When it came to the gas, the car had a full tank so I drained all of it and flushed the fuel lines from the engine bay back to the lines to the tank using low pressure air from an air compressor. I did this just incase the gas did gunk up. Most of the time if it's just 1yr, it should be fine, but I did it anyway. Since it's just 1/4 tank, I'd just use some starting fluid on the intake and add a can of octane booster to the gas. If it doesn't start, then drain the gas.ugh, on a fuel injected car?!

SandM
11-27-2007, 10:19 PM
ugh, on a fuel injected car?!

makes a somewhat boring task much more fun

IDCoconut
11-28-2007, 10:42 PM
also use propane to detect vacuum leaks.

redrumracer
11-29-2007, 12:07 AM
change oil, drain gas out replace with fresh gas, fuel filter.