PDA

View Full Version : how to install header?

tightflks
11-26-2007, 11:30 PM
it looks fairly simple, take bolts off at top, take bolts off at bottom, take the o2 sensor off, and then bolt everything back together again?

is there anymore to it? do i need to buy any new parts or something?

redrumracer
11-26-2007, 11:32 PM
gasket(s) and what kind of car you working on??? that would help

Scotsman
11-26-2007, 11:38 PM
torque specs are very important imo! other than that you said it all!

Scotsman
11-26-2007, 11:39 PM
it looks fairly simple, take bolts off at top, take bolts off at bottom, take the o2 sensor off, and then bolt everything back together again?

is there anymore to it? do i need to buy any new parts or something?repped for callin it a header!

AlanŽ
11-26-2007, 11:44 PM
pretty straight forward if you have any doubt take it to a shop and let them do it

tightflks
11-27-2007, 11:10 AM
gasket(s) and what kind of car you working on??? that would help

integra gsr, i need to buy new gasket(s)?

and haha scotsman

Scotsman
11-27-2007, 11:11 AM
i would def change the gasket

tightflks
11-27-2007, 11:31 AM
is that something i can easily buy from autozone?

do i need a gasket between the two pieces? i bought a two piece header

CSquared
11-27-2007, 11:39 AM
You should theoretically need a gasket for any connection point in the exhaust... If not... You'll probably get a super fun exhaust leak.

But yeah they should probably stock the regular gasket... If not... maybe a day to order.

Scotsman
11-27-2007, 11:45 AM
^^^^x2

tightflks
11-27-2007, 11:49 AM
do 2 piece header come with gasket usually for the connection between them?

i bought a ****ty one off of ebay =/

Scotsman
11-27-2007, 11:51 AM
i bought an egay one and it came with connection gasket , but i still had to but the exhaust mani gasket

GermanMuscle
11-27-2007, 12:21 PM
i just bought one from ebay aswell and it came with all of the gaskets but i plan on getting a new gasket for between the header and cylinder head. it is not in the best condition due to poor packing from the ebay seller

CSquared
11-27-2007, 08:09 PM
do 2 piece header come with gasket usually for the connection between them?

i bought a ****ty one off of ebay =/
It should... but if it didn't... you can buy some "cut to fit" stuff at autozone.

xb1
11-28-2007, 12:08 PM
I don't know how well the "cut to fit" stuff will work on headers, since they get so hot. You really need something made of a compressible metal, like the flange gaskets. But you can try the regular stuff and see what happens.

xb1
11-28-2007, 12:10 PM
this is very true. the torques need to all be equal to ensure that you dont get a leak down the road when the metal starts to change shape slightly.

speedminded
11-28-2007, 12:15 PM
Purchase the factory service manual.

collins
11-28-2007, 12:24 PM
if it comes with a gasket, just make sure its not a paper gasket... some manufacturers (especially cheaper ones) will come with paper gaskets just to say "gasket included". if thatsthe case, save yourself some trouble and but metallic gaskets.

on a honda/acura 4cyl engine, header swaps are super easy. should take you less than an hour.

andrewz21
11-28-2007, 06:58 PM
yea put a good gasket on and please dont reuse the old one bc in time it will leak trust me

tightflks
11-29-2007, 10:59 AM
yeah it seems like i will just go ahead and buy a gasket from autozone

yesterday we spent about an hour just jacking the car up hahahhaha, we had no jack stands so we went looking for cinder blocks, and having two blocks was not high enough and the jack wouldnt go high enough to put in a third, so we tried so many wierd setups to get it higher, the floor jack on top of a brick was just not working

we ended up putting the spare tire jack on the brick cause it was more stable and that let us get that third block in, by that time it was gettin dark and cold so we said **** it and we will continue today, rep for all btw

speedminded
11-29-2007, 11:02 AM
yeah it seems like i will just go ahead and buy a gasket from autozone

yesterday we spent about an hour just jacking the car up hahahhaha, we had no jack stands so we went looking for cinder blocks, and having two blocks was not high enough and the jack wouldnt go high enough to put in a third, so we tried so many wierd setups to get it higher, the floor jack on top of a brick was just not working

we ended up putting the spare tire jack on the brick cause it was more stable and that let us get that third block in, by that time it was gettin dark and cold so we said **** it and we will continue today, rep for all btwlol, $15-20 for jack stands just about anywhere...

AnthonyF
11-29-2007, 01:26 PM

plus sequence. if you torque it in a random order you can warp the manifold or the gasket wont seal right.

v8killacivic
11-29-2007, 11:18 PM
omg

tightflks
11-30-2007, 12:23 AM
really im jus going to tighten it as much as i can then take it to a shop so they can do it at the right torques

still not in btw, by the time i got to the car, i didnt have the write wrench to unscrew the o2 bung and it got dark before i could find one and got test tomorrow

tightflks
11-30-2007, 12:30 AM
lol, $15-20 for jack stands just about anywhere...

i dont even have 20 bucks to spend right now man hahaha

redrumracer
11-30-2007, 12:33 AM
really im jus going to tighten it as much as i can then take it to a shop so they can do it at the right torques

still not in btw, by the time i got to the car, i didnt have the write wrench to unscrew the o2 bung and it got dark before i could find one and got test tomorrow
and i wouldnt just go tightening up the bolts. at least do it in the correct order. and dont tighten em to all hell.

i dont even have 20 bucks to spend right now man hahaha
just use cinder blocks

AnthonyF
11-30-2007, 05:58 AM

your an idiot. you cant just tighten them down and then re-tq them later. The gasket will already be crushed so it wont seal right. to take a o2 out, 22mm wrench or they make o2 sockets you can buy.

tightflks
12-01-2007, 01:38 PM
your an idiot. you cant just tighten them down and then re-tq them later. The gasket will already be crushed so it wont seal right. to take a o2 out, 22mm wrench or they make o2 sockets you can buy.

i got the o2 out, had to place an order for a gasket, comes in tomorrow, so you're saying its gotta be done correctly the first time?

Scotsman
12-01-2007, 01:56 PM
yep , sequence is very important , any haynes or chiltons manuals will have it , good call 4.0!

AnthonyF
12-01-2007, 02:03 PM
^^ thanks man.

yes, if you dont do it correct the 1st time (ask anyone who has built a motor) sometime is always bound to go wrong. if you tq it wrong, the gasket will get ruined and could create leaks will also warp the manifold.

BlkCD5
12-01-2007, 02:15 PM
spray some wd-40 or some other lubricant so it'll ease up the bolts. You don't want to deal with a broken bolt.

Scotsman
12-01-2007, 02:22 PM
another good point , broken bolts suck!

green91
12-01-2007, 02:23 PM
lol, you guys must take forever to get simple jobs accomplished.

Scotsman
12-01-2007, 02:25 PM
lol, you guys must take forever to get simple jobs accomplished.:lmfao::lmfao::lmfao::lmfao:my b16 swap in my old EF took almost 4 months:lmfao: , it was due to lack of tools and funds though

AnthonyF
12-01-2007, 02:31 PM
lol, you guys must take forever to get simple jobs accomplished.

why? cus we like doing it correct the 1st time and not redoing it over and over again?

and btw, I can swap my engine, trans, and s/c within a day. suck a nut.

scotsman...^^i can only do that cus i have shop. correct tools help a **** load. but i feel ya.

Scotsman
12-01-2007, 02:34 PM
4.0 , wheres your shop and are ya goin to sonics tomorrow nite?

AnthonyF
12-01-2007, 02:51 PM
scotsman-no, no meets for me. I dont go to meets until it's back to "normal" :ninja: shop is on Buford hwy, south of N. Druid Hills. kayfunk just stopped by and i had to replace a headlight in his brothers car.

besides, i have to watch the house. parents are out of town so i cant go anywhere really. :no:

Scotsman
12-01-2007, 02:53 PM
10-4

AnthonyF
12-01-2007, 03:17 PM
10-4

= 6

green91
12-01-2007, 03:20 PM
why? cus we like doing it correct the 1st time and not redoing it over and over again?

and btw, I can swap my engine, trans, and s/c within a day. suck a nut.

scotsman...^^i can only do that cus i have shop. correct tools help a **** load. but i feel ya.

I rarely ever have to repeat something because i did it wrong, lol. And i can also swap my engine and trans on nearly an vehicle within a day pretty easily also. But like you, ive got a shop and tools.