PDA

View Full Version : MIKE AT BATLGROUND AND 240 GUYS CHIME IN

AlanŽ
11-25-2007, 09:53 PM
i have been working on trading my 3g eclipse for a nissan 240 SR20 powered 240 because the car after this will be much more powerful. I have a few questions though before I do this. I have a deal lined up for a 95 with a redtop SR20 in it.

1.) how reliable a DD are they either stock or with bolt ons as I need something that will last a few years(2-4)

2.)If something should break how hard will it be to find replacement parts?

3.)how hard is it to get it through emissions. from what I have been told so long as the car is at operating temperature it actually comes up cleaner than a stock KA.

4.)Is there anything I should be looking for in these cars.

Here is the engine shot of the one I'm looking at. It's in Ohio.

EmminoDaGreat
11-25-2007, 09:56 PM
Make sure it doesnt overheat, parts are not to hard to find. And if you got $ you can pass emissions, Make sure the wiring hasnt been hacked.

AlanŽ
11-25-2007, 10:19 PM
also what kind of gas mileage does the stock sr get

Vteckidd
11-25-2007, 10:55 PM
i have been working on trading my 3g eclipse for a nissan 240 SR20 powered 240 because the car after this will be much more powerful. I have a few questions though before I do this. I have a deal lined up for a 95 with a redtop SR20 in it.

1.) how reliable a DD are they either stock or with bolt ons as I need something that will last a few years(2-4)

2.)If something should break how hard will it be to find replacement parts?

3.)how hard is it to get it through emissions. from what I have been told so long as the car is at operating temperature it actually comes up cleaner than a stock KA.

4.)Is there anything I should be looking for in these cars.

Here is the engine shot of the one I'm looking at. It's in Ohio.

1) THey are incredibly reliable. Anything under 260whp and theres very little work or maintanence on them. THe only things that fail usually are the turbos because they are so old, but ive had mine for 6 months with 13psi with no problems.

2) Replacements parts are EASY. Nissan carries parts because we got the SR20DE here in the FWD Sentra so many parts are interchangeable. There are also a ton of aftermarket parts.

Check out
Enjukuracing.com

3) Passes emissions easily with a cat attatched.

4) Papers on where the motor came from, compression test the engine, and check the oil.

The swap you have pictured looks halfassed, lots of wires in the engine bay that should be there

AlanŽ
11-25-2007, 11:24 PM
thanks mike i appreciate the info reps for you only question i need answered now is the gas mileage thing but if anybody has anything else they can input that would be great. i will post up more engine bay pics of the car as i get them hopefully mike you can give me a better assesment when that time comes

Benefit
11-26-2007, 01:12 AM
before you do anything replace the oil pump , youll thank me later

TIGERJC
11-26-2007, 02:27 AM
But to be honest with you, I wouldn't buy a swap car especially since you need it to be reliable. Like mike said that swap looked half assed and more than likely they cheap out on a lot of things.

If you do get it, but a cheap back up car and you will thank me later (I can count on that).

I now have two back up cars (97 camry, 91 ranger), so I never have to worry about being without a car.

AlanŽ
11-26-2007, 02:58 AM
well if i can get the all clear on this i will have it checked out by a shop up there to see what the damdge is before i start signing titles and driving 200 miles to get something thats all ****ed up

Vteckidd
11-26-2007, 08:56 AM
Are you local? why not buy here whre you can check out things more closely?

I get about 20-25mpg depending on how often i boost

AlanŽ
11-26-2007, 11:06 AM
i would man but im trying to trade my way out of this car and so far this is the only guy interested. i found a 240 with the s15 front end and the s15 sr20 with 6spd for 7k in fl but i havent heard back from the guy yet. if i could get one locally and trade that would be awesome but highly unlikely it will happen if it doesnt happen in the next week or so im just gonna say screw it and put money into this car.

Vteckidd
11-26-2007, 11:08 AM
WOw, no offense but who would trade a S15 with a 6 speed for an eclipse.

Why not sell your car?

HalfBaked
11-26-2007, 11:18 AM
I was getting like 20mpg with 660cc injectors dumping running super rich. My SR ran like a champ for 2 years before I built the motor.

Tracy
11-26-2007, 11:25 AM
I wouldn't buy a swap from anyone unless they had a dependable name that you recognize. Wiring is a big deal and most don't know what they are doing.

x2 on the oil pump

You can get a lot of the actual DE-T parts at Nissan now.

That engine bay looks pretty messy to me.

gas mileage is awesome

overall, when done right...it's a very dependable car

emissions are hit or miss...just like any car it's age

AlanŽ
11-27-2007, 12:59 PM
thanks for all the info guys i may just build my own sr swap what do you guys charge parts and labor to do a swap tracy?

Tracy
11-27-2007, 01:42 PM
thanks for all the info guys i may just build my own sr swap what do you guys charge parts and labor to do a swap tracy?e-mail [email protected] for a quote

Repost Squintz
11-27-2007, 02:05 PM
sell the eclipse to carmax..... buy 240 get swap done... bam..
oh yeah 240 and sr parts are easy to come by.
and listen to what every1 else said... make sure ur wiring job isnt hacked(personal experience) and replace oil pump and h2o pump.