PDA

View Full Version : Handling Mods camber wear??

dkjohnson04
11-25-2007, 09:38 PM
so im taking off my eibach sportline springs next weekend and installing coilover sleeves. i wanna drop the car another inch or so... right now my camber is -1.5 on both sides if i go lower and have like -2 deg. or so as long as my toe is correct will i wear out my tires super fast or what... i will have camber kit in like a month or so just broke right now!!
thanks
dustin

cactusEG
11-25-2007, 10:07 PM
i have Adj coilovers, with no camber kit and they wear out my tires bad...

Andy_013
11-25-2007, 10:34 PM
wow -1.5 on eibach sportline springs, with tein spring my camber is at -2.1 and no tire wear.

As long your toe is set good you should be good.

.blank cd
11-26-2007, 01:11 AM
I guess i should have some information stickied in this subforum about what eats away your tires...

(we'll use hondas for example)
When you lower your car, no matter how much, you throw off your camber, toe, and sometimes caster setting. Most older hondas dont have a camber or caster adjustment point which is why we buy adjustable control arms and ball joints and pillowballs and such to correct this. Buy many people who are new to the tuning game, overlook their toe in/out settings. This is the setting that greatly effects the major wear on the innermost corner of your tire. Camber also is a factor but not nearly as much. Some degree of camber-in is acceptable and sometimes beneficial (Some newer sports cars even come from the factory with camber-in. i.e 350Zs, S2000s, and some BMWs)Provided everything else is correct, "camber-wear" can be identifided as a gradual sloping wear across the whole tire.
So in conclusion, after lowering your car; be it springs, coilover sleeves, or full dampers, take it to a qualified shop and have it aligned and make sure your toe-specs are at factory or 0

.blank cd
11-26-2007, 01:17 AM
btw, i am lowered almost 3 inches w/ no camber kits. my rear tires are almost at 0 camber and my fronts are about 1.5. I have no tire wear whatsoever.

Also note, your car will be aligned with the tires that are on it. If you switch rim/tire sizes, your car will have to be re-aligned. I noticed this when i had the car aligned for 195/60/15s, and went to 205/50/15's and it tore the insides of the tire up again.

Elbow
11-26-2007, 09:15 AM
Camber is good for handling, too much isnt. Wear is just gonna happen if you have - camber. The speed it takes to really wear depends on the setting and how you drive

speedminded
11-26-2007, 03:45 PM
-1 to -1.5 is the most camber you want for a properly handling Civic/Del Sol/Integra chassis.

ash7
11-26-2007, 05:12 PM
if my memory serves me correctly the DC and EH/J chassis come from the factory with -1.2f -1r degrees of camber.

toe angle has more of an affect on tire wear than camber does, you'll be fine. :)

-jonathan

dkjohnson04
11-26-2007, 06:54 PM
thanks for all the input reps given