PDA

View Full Version : Misc recommended surround sound systems

Schugg
11-22-2007, 03:34 PM
im not looking for some nice ass 1000+ sound system. just something decent for 150-300 dollars, ive seen alot in that range, but i dont know anything about surround sound. anything anyone think i should look into? really just looking for speakers and and a woofer. ive seen alot that come with dvd players, or eqaulizers but i dont need all that unless its required to send audio to the speakers.

Julio
11-22-2007, 03:42 PM
I have an RCA one... pretty simple and cool I think

Schugg
11-22-2007, 03:54 PM
think thats the kind im looking for just plugs in the wall, and plugs in the outputs.

DemonEyez
11-22-2007, 07:02 PM
im not looking for some nice ass 1000+ sound system. just something decent for 150-300 dollars, ive seen alot in that range, but i dont know anything about surround sound. anything anyone think i should look into? really just looking for speakers and and a woofer. ive seen alot that come with dvd players, or eqaulizers but i dont need all that unless its required to send audio to the speakers.

heres a really good one but its 399.99 tomorrow at circuitcity.

onkyo ht-sr800.

7.1 with power subwoofer
the receiver has 2 1080p hdmi pass through's

its important to know that the hdmi only pasess through video at 1080p, for audio tho you can utilize another form of pass through. not a big deal. but for 400 bucks ur not gonna find another system thats close to this one

Schugg
11-22-2007, 07:34 PM
heres a really good one but its 399.99 tomorrow at circuitcity.

onkyo ht-sr800.

7.1 with power subwoofer
the receiver has 2 1080p hdmi pass through's

its important to know that the hdmi only pasess through video at 1080p, for audio tho you can utilize another form of pass through. not a big deal. but for 400 bucks ur not gonna find another system thats close to this one

probably wouldnt end up getting one tomorrow, mainly looking for around christmas, im sure it will be onsale around then too. but ill look at it, thanks

DemonEyez
11-22-2007, 08:13 PM
yeah u should its a reallly good system.

its normally 500 retail you can always find it on sale for 450 tho normally. so yeah xmas and now 400 or possibly less.

magneto198
11-24-2007, 09:48 AM
i have sony 5.1 surround sound system. it sounds beautiful

punkr6
11-25-2007, 05:31 PM
If you can afford it get the BOSE-well worth the extra $

Whiteboy™
11-25-2007, 05:37 PM

yup :goodjob:

khailon
11-25-2007, 07:48 PM
:goodjob: bose ftw!

collins
11-25-2007, 07:56 PM
LOL @ BOSE!!! man for the money you're going to spend on bose, you can build a MUCH more powerful, better sounding, and more capable system. bose is nice if you dont care about sound quailty

DemonEyez
11-25-2007, 08:51 PM
yeah sorry guys when it comes to true audio quality, bose isnt even considered by most people.

For people with money to throw away its a good system cus you get something good. But theres stuff out there so much better for the money.

Vteckidd
11-25-2007, 08:58 PM
I just bought a Phillips 5.1 Surround Sound on black friday for $100. Since i live in an apartment i didnt want anything too fancy that i couldnt really enjoy without neighbors getting pissed off.

Its a 5 speaker 1 woofer DVD setup and so far its passed the "Transformers" test. It sounds really good.

The REAL one i want is the Samsung Xt14 i think. Its got tall speakers and a wireless module for the rear speakers. Even thats only $300 right now.

SPOOLIN
11-25-2007, 09:06 PM
those onkyo 7.1 systems are really nice. Josh Green on here bought one for his house and they have lots of features for the price most definatly. Sony makes nice decent price home theatre in a box setups generally. Stay away from panasonic ones, oh my god.

brads94accord
11-25-2007, 09:07 PM
I have a polk audio surround system in my great room and I love it. I have the monitor series in the front with the polk in-walls in the rear powered by an onkyo reciever. but i think thats a little out of your price range.

Check into the onkyo systems like someone suggested above. I have one in my master bedroom. I got it for $230 open box at circuit city. Probably wanna upgrade the wires from the dinky ones they includee.

Alan®
11-25-2007, 09:28 PM
LOL @ BOSE!!! man for the money you're going to spend on bose, you can build a MUCH more powerful, better sounding, and more capable system. bose is nice if you dont care about sound quailty

thats a matter of opinon i have always found the bose systems that i have bought to have great sound quality definitely better than a $300 RCA all in one box

DemonEyez
11-25-2007, 09:33 PM
thats a matter of opinon i have always found the bose systems that i have bought to have great sound quality definitely better than a $300 RCA all in one box

well good for you

and its not a matter of opinion they've been tested.

and we both said that for the MONEY you can get so much better.

aka the bose 321 = 1000$

for 1k you can get a really good onkyo 7.1 1080p switching receiver and a klipsh quintett II speaker setup. and that would be a ton better than the bose.

sirkus
11-25-2007, 09:38 PM
Bose is ****. I would go with a Yamaha speaker set at Best Buy for around 350... or a Onkyo system would be great.

collins
11-26-2007, 06:03 PM

i'm not disagreeing with you there... a [minimum of a] $1000 bose system BETTER sound better than some RCA $300 run of the mill surround sound. if it didnt, there's something wrong with it, take it back and exchange it. this comparison is price for price here.

also, the klipsch quintet system being better than the bose is arguable as well. IMHO the only klipsch speakers worth a damn are the reference line and those above that. the quintets definatly do not step up to the plate like the references do.

i like to think of my setup as a nice, but not the nicest, audio system. Definitive Technologies at all 4 corners and center (mythos one towers up front, BP7006 supertowers in the rear, and the clr2002 center using the powered subs in the 7006's) if i had to point out a weak spot in my system it would be the reciever. the one i have is the DENON avr-1707. the one i WANT is the Pioneer ELITE VSX-94TXH

collins
11-26-2007, 06:06 PM
and cant forget the Panamax M5100-PM for the power center (surge and filtration) :goodjob:

DemonEyez
11-26-2007, 06:12 PM
i'm not disagreeing with you there... a [minimum of a] $1000 bose system BETTER sound better than some RCA $300 run of the mill surround sound. if it didnt, there's something wrong with it, take it back and exchange it. this comparison is price for price here.

also, the klipsch quintet system being better than the bose is arguable as well. IMHO the only klipsch speakers worth a damn are the reference line and those above that. the quintets definatly do not step up to the plate like the references do.

i like to think of my setup as a nice, but not the nicest, audio system. Definitive Technologies at all 4 corners and center (mythos one towers up front, BP7006 supertowers in the rear, and the clr2002 center using the powered subs in the 7006's) if i had to point out a weak spot in my system it would be the reciever. the one i have is the DENON avr-1707. the one i WANT is the Pioneer ELITE VSX-94TXH

nice setup

but yeah i'd take the klipsch quintett and onkyo receiver mostly because the receiver is way better than the bose piece. and the speakers IMO are a lil clearer in all ranges

my personal setup

Rocket 760's up front
Rocket 300's dipoles
rocket 250 mk II bringing the rear
and of course the rocket 200 center
HSU research VTF-2 MK3 Subwoofer.
with a 705 onkyo receiver.

best i could afford at the time.

SL65AMG
11-26-2007, 06:13 PM

thats a tad bit out of his price range. by about $2300.....

take a look around www.avsforum.com

Schugg
11-26-2007, 06:20 PM
haha, hmm, quite a few things to look at. but being ive never had one no matter what i get im probably going to like for being better than just my tv.

collins
11-26-2007, 06:45 PM
lol tru. however... you're gonna laugh... my tv's my bad spot... :lmfao: i've still got a little 27" samsung flat crt :lmao:

i just got one helluva deal on the speakers and amp thru work and was able to peice it together a little at a time. the tv is gonna take a little cheese lol