PDA

View Full Version : General Chat Colorado vs Tacoma Which would you rather have?

wannab20hatch
11-22-2007, 09:40 AM
Ive decided that after buying my 4 dr and hatch that i really dont wanna drop any money on my car. im 22 and i hate riding around lowered and getting dirty working on my car. so ive decide to get a truck and possibly a dirt bike and ride with my brother.

Blitanicle99
11-22-2007, 09:52 AM
Tacoma hands down is a superior truck. I am a Toyota freak, so obviously I would support my Toyota.
Which model are you looking at?
Double cab?
Ext Cab?

That will determine which engines are available and transmissions.

The double cabs only come in V6, and only in auto. If you can find one, itll blow me away. Prerunners (2wds that are the height of 4x4) only come in auto. The v6 has plenty of power and with a manual tranny behind it, it becomes a blast to drive and comes somewhat of a "sports truck" sorta. I had fun driving a stick in that truck and it was not slow for a truck at all.

I had a 99 TRD V6 Manual lifted 3 inches with a big ass front bumper. I did have a flowmaster exhaust and T handle hurst shifter too.
The only two reasons I sold that truck is because I got too tall for it and I needed to tow bigger stuff. Granted lots of tall people own them, I just sit very straight up driving a manual.

Toyotas engines are known to last a very long time. As long as the timing belt gets done around 100-110k your in fine shape. My truck got about 19 mpg average mostly city driving and I drove moderate. For a any questions or reaseach you wanna do, check out TTORA.com Its a huge huge toyota website. Lots of FAQ sections and stuff to read on.

The colorado however... is a 5 cylinder motor and even the dealership admits its the worst selling truck they have had. Its extremely underpowered and does not tow worth anything. I have personaly drove one while I had my Tacoma and was not impressed and would never own one. I put the colorado up there with the Honda Ridgeline which is also a piece of junk.

Any specific questions, PM me or ill check back in this thread soon.

wannab20hatch
11-22-2007, 10:01 AM
i want the ext cab pre runner 2wd auto. my buddy has a colorado and he loves it. ive driven it and its not to bad. my dad works at toyota but its hard to find a used ext cab. and i dont want a brand new one.

.gauge.
11-22-2007, 10:23 AM
I voted for the Colorado because its the only Chevy truck I like.:doh:

BTLFED
11-22-2007, 10:29 AM
Toyota hands down. I would NEVER buy an American truck unless the name of it ended in Super Duty.

Ericp
11-22-2007, 11:57 AM
I'm a big chevy fan but I don't really like the colorado's that much. They are nice trucks don't get my wrong, my mom has a 4dr Z71 colorado so I know from experience. But she also had an extended cab Tacoma with the TRD off road package and I LOVED that truck. We'd still have it if my brother didn't total it............

ShooterMcGavin
11-22-2007, 12:55 PM
check out any review on any site, tacoma is lightyears beyond the colorado...

hondachik
11-22-2007, 12:57 PM
I vote for the Toyota...because it's an Import...besides, those new Tacoma's are bad ass. I would never even buy a truck, but those new bitches are nice!

5spdfrk
11-22-2007, 01:00 PM
toyota...hands down

wannab20hatch
11-23-2007, 07:38 PM
well i went today and i dont really like the toyota. i found a used 05 colorado with 19k miles for 14,9 so i think im gonna go with that. my buddy at work has a crew cab z71 colorado with over 70k on it and he said he hasnt had any problems out of it.

hondachik
11-23-2007, 09:38 PM
well i went today and i dont really like the toyota. i found a used 05 colorado with 19k miles for 14,9 so i think im gonna go with that. my buddy at work has a crew cab z71 colorado with over 70k on it and he said he hasnt had any problems out of it.

Yeah but just because he hasn't...doesn't mean yours will be peachy. If I were you, I'd research that year & model on the internet as a whole and look at forums and what majority of people have said, then make your decision...and yeah the older Tacoma's aren't hot, but the 08's...sexy.

BKgen®
11-23-2007, 10:02 PM
new Tundra > Tacoma > everything else > colorado

k20siboii
11-24-2007, 01:15 AM
ive driven the tacoma and put it through hell and i love it so if i were to choose the tacoma of course

Don Luis
11-26-2007, 09:51 AM
just a word of advise if you have not already purchased the colorado don't buy it you will
be much happier with the toyota. I work at a chevy dealer and I can tell you first hand
some people have good luck with them, most don't. The 04-05 and some o6 models
had a problem where the valves would wear into the head and usually after 40k miles
you would need a new head assembly. this is a $4500 repair, GM is covering the repair
for sertain year models but only until 100k miles after that your on your own.

Blitanicle99
11-26-2007, 10:01 AM
Bingo we have a winner. And the new Tacoma... has the 4.0 and its ****ing sick! Its one hell of a v6 motor. Very powerful and fawking fast if I may add.

BlkCD5
11-26-2007, 10:25 AM
originally posted by Don Luis
just a word of advise if you have not already purchased the colorado don't buy it you will
be much happier with the toyota. I work at a chevy dealer and I can tell you first hand
some people have good luck with them, most don't. The 04-05 and some o6 models
had a problem where the valves would wear into the head and usually after 40k miles
you would need a new head assembly. this is a $4500 repair, GM is covering the repair
for sertain year models but only until 100k miles after that your on your own.

:yes: one of my co workers had this problem. Her truck was in the shop for months.

Don Luis
11-26-2007, 07:37 PM
yep, see its gotten better a month is kinda long but it does take about a week

green91
11-26-2007, 07:52 PM
you already know my answer, mechanically the toyota >>>>> colorado. the sr5 interior however sucks so suck it up and buy a TRD model, the sport seats and color scheme is much much better. the 4.0 is around 240hp and even the autos run mid-low 15s, which for a pretty large size v6 truck is very good. they are also extremely low maintenance, air filters & oil until 100k when you need to change the coolant, and do plugs at 120k. no tbelt or anything to do. colorados are weaksauce and ugly.. and im not even gonna get into resale, have fun being upside down in a colorado, even buying used as soon as you drive off. sucks rolling debt over into the next one when youre tired of it!

ttman
11-27-2007, 12:56 PM
no brainer = tacoma

wannab20hatch
11-29-2007, 06:19 PM
you already know my answer, mechanically the toyota >>>>> colorado. the sr5 interior however sucks so suck it up and buy a TRD model, the sport seats and color scheme is much much better. the 4.0 is around 240hp and even the autos run mid-low 15s, which for a pretty large size v6 truck is very good. they are also extremely low maintenance, air filters & oil until 100k when you need to change the coolant, and do plugs at 120k. no tbelt or anything to do. colorados are weaksauce and ugly.. and im not even gonna get into resale, have fun being upside down in a colorado, even buying used as soon as you drive off. sucks rolling debt over into the next one when youre tired of it!

if theyll give me the trd package for what the sr5 prerunner stickered at we'd have a deal and if they had one. im waiting on mog to let me know whats up. i may step up and get the crew cab also but ill have to put more down to get the payments down where i need them.

VooDooXII
11-29-2007, 06:24 PM
Tacoma, as much as I like American vehicles...to keep, the Tacoma's better. I like the Colorado...it looks better, it's set up better for off-road, and the interior isn't bad, but for the purposes of a truck, it's too small and the I-5 is too thrashy and underpowered. I like the idea, but it wasn't executed well.

green91
11-29-2007, 07:54 PM
No way, the Tacoma looks 100x better than a Colorado, and i definitely don't see how you could say a Colorado is better setup up for off roading.

VooDooXII
11-29-2007, 10:43 PM
No way, the Tacoma looks 100x better than a Colorado, and i definitely don't see how you could say a Colorado is better setup up for off roading.

Narrow body and fat meaty tires.

wannab20hatch
12-01-2007, 10:39 PM
Toyota hands down. I would NEVER buy an American truck unless the name of it ended in Super Duty.

i went and looked at one of those today. i only want the 7.3L though. ive heard the 6 and 6.4 L have alot of problems. same money and twice the truck.

SandM
12-01-2007, 11:38 PM
if theyll give me the trd package for what the sr5 prerunner stickered at we'd have a deal and if they had one. im waiting on mog to let me know whats up. i may step up and get the crew cab also but ill have to put more down to get the payments down where i need them.

ha, goin to my work to buy a car are we?
ive driven a few of both trucks. the tacoma rides waaaaayyy better than the colorado. the chevy has too much body roll and a more harsh ride. the I5<v6. that, and when i was working at kauffman, i made so much damn money on domestics. imports were just harder to find **** wrong on. go toyota all the way, youll be happier in the long run even if you pay a little more.

Elbow
12-02-2007, 11:19 AM
Def. a Tacoma, after have driven both, I just hated the Colorado, slow, dull feeling. Just basic boring stuff. The Tacoma was no supercar, but just felt better overall.

tony
12-02-2007, 11:21 AM
I bought a Colorado brand new from the dealer and had problems from the moment i drove it off the lot.

Bought a used Tundra and the overall quality and ownership in toyota vs chevy is way different.. Go for the Tacoma

SiRed94
12-02-2007, 11:56 AM
i am personally a toyota fan, and i like the way the tacoma runs and drives better... but even tho i like the way the colorado looks i would never buy one... however when i worked for advance they had those as delivery trucks and i took it str8 to redline every time i drove it... and drifted it daily from 100 miles all the way to 20,000 miles and the engine/drivetrain never blew... so i give it an A+ on durability....

atlantamx3
12-02-2007, 12:45 PM
I just have to put in my .02 since I own the brother to the colorado-- the GMC Canyon.

Mine is a 2005 I-5 model extended cab and I bought it new. It has never given me a lick of problems and has been reliable as hell. Good power and comfortable too.

wannab20hatch
12-02-2007, 12:58 PM
im considering an 03 f-250 7.3L used their about the same as the colorado/tacoma new and its ten times more truck plus insurance is actually cheaper on it then the colorado/tacoma.

nvmysrt
12-02-2007, 03:14 PM
i voted toyota....i was between both of these trucks before i bought my z....i'd hands down go with toyota....better all around preformer...

mushroom_toy
12-02-2007, 06:46 PM
Colorados look wonerful lowered a little, but I will always take a Honda or Toyota over any American car any day. Thats why I still have my Toyota pickup...you can destroy them and they come right back.