PDA

View Full Version : what's better rebuild or replace

streetdreamz
11-21-2007, 03:29 PM
I'm wondering if I should replace my engine or rebuild it. It's knocking but it has not yet thrown a rod. I don't drive it at all. But I was wondering which route I should go. More info on the car posted below.

d993s
11-21-2007, 03:46 PM
It depends on what you replace it with........
This question can never be answered correctly without enough facts, as in: your budget, condition of your engine vs the "new" one you might replace it with, cost to rebuild yours, etc.
Do you have connections? There are so many factors here.
This question should only be asked in front of people who know everything about your car, engine, finances, etc.

khailon
11-22-2007, 01:14 AM
replace it

redrumracer
11-22-2007, 02:15 AM
rebuild it except improve upon it

Benefit
11-22-2007, 02:28 AM
depends what engine really...if its like a d-series or something , just replace it

speedminded
11-22-2007, 03:06 AM
I'm wondering if I should replace my engine or rebuild it. It's knocking but it has not yet thrown a rod. I don't drive it at all. But I was wondering which route I should go.*sigh* If it's a 1967 M551 Sheridan then i'd say rebuild it, if it's a 1985 Yugo GV i'd say replace it...preferably with an upgrade.

xlilvi3tx
11-22-2007, 03:48 AM
dude.... it depends on what kind of motor like for hondas if its a d-series piece of ****, just replace it or if its a k-series just rebuild the hell out of it.

Init2winit
11-22-2007, 11:03 AM
Usually, its more cost efficient to just replace the engine.

chituntang
11-22-2007, 11:31 AM
Replace is easier. Rebuild is going to consume more time and money than replace. But if you are aiming big, rebuild it.

b16ftw
11-22-2007, 11:33 AM
I'm wondering if I should replace my engine or rebuild it. It's knocking but it has not yet thrown a rod. I don't drive it at all. But I was wondering which route I should go.

perhaps you could provide more information??

streetdreamz
11-22-2007, 06:19 PM
well it's a 95 Maxima. I priced the motor and it'll run me about $850 from Best Japanese. I don't have anybody that could put the motor in for me though. So I was wondering since the motor hadn't seized yet that maybe it was still salvageable. Maybe I could go with forged pistons for possible turbo upgrade in the future. Or even have the block bored for bigger pistons. I don't know fellas, I'm thinking just replace it. But I will need to find somebody to drop it in when I get my loot together.

streetdreamz
11-22-2007, 06:22 PM
BTW I also got a 92 Accord and it keeps overheating. There is a steam and water coming out of the exhaust. My guess is that it needs a head gasket per my research. It kept overheating before and I replaced the fan because it was broke. Then I flushed and filled the radiator and bled the system and that didn't work. The thermostat is opening, and the guy that had the car before me said he replaced the water pump about a year ago with a Honda OEM pump. Any ideas on this one? Also how much do you think the labor on the headgasket is going to run me?