PDA

View Full Version : General Chat Lotus X100/MR2?

IronEagle
11-20-2007, 07:15 PM
Wikipedia says no but Doc Bundy who drove the factory Lotus X180r for LotuSport raceteam (who I worked for and traveled with) says the MR2 is the X100. Anyone know the truth?

OneSlow5pt0
11-20-2007, 07:18 PM
im pretty sure Mk1 MR2s were build by Toyota with help from lotus.......like how the Corvette ZR-1 was helped built by lotus

OneSlow5pt0
11-20-2007, 07:23 PM
"It is a common misconception that the MR2 was Lotus-designed but assembled and distributed by Toyota. In actuality the Lotus M90 (a.k.a. the X100) project was scrapped after a single prototype was built and Lotus was later bought out by General Motors, ending its relationship with Toyota (until Lotus' decision to source a Toyota 2ZZ-GE engine for its second-generation Elise). The MR2 was designed by Toyota with Lotus engineer Roger Becker involved on its suspension and handling. With its mid/rear engine and small size, the MR2 is often compared to more exotic sports cars."

IronEagle
11-20-2007, 07:24 PM
Yeah I had read that but then also this:

The first-generation MR2 was introduced during a period of close
cooperation between Lotus and Toyota. The Lotus Eclat was reworked
with some Toyota parts to make the Excel during this period. Toyota
was also involved in design and specifcation of the M90/X100 prototype.

There are two rumors about Lotus' involvement with the MR2. The
"official" rumor is that the MR2 was designed "in-house" at Toyota by
Lotus suspension engineer Roger Becker. The other rumor is that the
MR2 was an abandoned Lotus design (possibly the M90/X100).

According to Doc Bundy, Lotusport Esprit driver, the MR2 is the X100.

SE-Rious1
11-20-2007, 07:25 PM
my sis owned a 91 isuzu Impulse that had a badge on each side said lotus desighned suspension lol

OneSlow5pt0
11-20-2007, 07:26 PM
yea,so its saying the MR2(x100) was first a Lotus designed car...but they didnt go through with it,so toyota picked it up and made it..with help fromlotus

IronEagle
11-21-2007, 03:43 PM
More information Here (http://shell.deru.com/~sgn1/AW11/Intro.htm)

http://shell.deru.com/~sgn1/AW11/images/Sax.jpg

After extensive research and talks with both the current owner of the Lotus X100 prototype and with Roger Becker himself, I can confirm that the following are indeed the TRUE story of the MR2:

Long-time readers of LOTUS reMARQUE ( the official publication of the Lotus Limited International car club) can see pictures of the X100 in our August 1990 issue and again in August 1995. The ongoing M90 small car project became the X100 with a stroke of David Wickin's pen after he became the Lotus chairman in late 1983. A running X100 prototype was completed in early 1984. It was a front engined convertible that used Toyota's 1600 twin cam, and it was badged "Lotus Toyota". Lotus was hoping to sell the car through selected Toyota dealerships worldwide, but there was considerable -- and justified -- doubt that Lotus could build it to Toyota's quality standards, its styling was not considered to have enough pizazz, the financial support to build it never jelled, and neither did the Toyota distribution deal. Lotus moved on to other small car iterations until GM's buyout two years later, which spelled the end of the X100 project and its association with Toyota. The M100 project, based on a Peter Stevens design, began shortly thereafter and eventually came to fruition as the new Elan.
- -mark winston
Editor, LOTUS reMARQUE
Lotus, Ltd. Car Club

Very interesting. After I build a nice hatch I plan on finding a black 2nd gen turbo. One of my favorite cars of all time.