PDA

View Full Version : OK, Since Everyone Said The Parts Store Would Fail...

Mr_Mischif
11-20-2007, 09:29 AM
By my house there's like a big empty lot; it used to be a Target, but it's been long gone. Now I'm thinking of knocking down a lot of the used-to-be store and making the whole thing into a drift/gymkhana/autox site, where you would pay something like aflat fee and shred as many tires as you want without the cops busting your nuts. Now I want to know if anyone on here would be willing to pay for something like this and how much; I was thinking like somewhere around $25-$35 for all-day practice.

ZeD
11-20-2007, 09:36 AM
maybe for 10-20 minutes they could drift.. if you do all day prcatice you'll lose money.. you'll have 3 cars out there all day if they bring enough tires, lol.

TicketRedBB6
11-20-2007, 09:39 AM
The insurance you'd have to pay to open something like that would be super high I would think. I do like the idea though. Like said above, if you pay a flat rate for 30-60 minutes for whatever you want. But im sure there are gonna be wierd regulations and insurance for that to work. Good luck though

Mr_Mischif
11-20-2007, 10:03 AM
OK, since you think the pricing is wonky, how about this: what do you think would be the right amount of money for these times:

1 hr:
2 hr:
3 hr:
all day:

TicketRedBB6
11-20-2007, 10:17 AM
I have no clue what people normally pay to autox or drift, but I'd say something like:
1hr:$25
2hr:$40
3hr:$55
All Day:$75

Something roughly like $20-25 an hour per person driving the car, and maybe like $5 per day for anyone else in the car such as a passenger. But for all day i'd keep the price fairly low or else no one would do it. Like if it cost $200 for the whole day I dont think people would do it. Keep in mind you could also sell drinks/snacks/etc. Before you get too far into it though, I would go talk to whoever is in charge of opening new businesses in the city. Depending on the location, they may have regulations against this because of the noise, smoke, and smell (of smoke) that is going to be around all day everyday. For instance i don't see this happening in a city. It's just too "annoying" for the average person that would be shopping or whatever. If its on the outskirts of somewhere where there aren't many people, it may work.

osiriskidd
11-20-2007, 10:19 AM
i say do it. i'd definately come. been wanting to learn how to drift.

Nismo
11-20-2007, 10:19 AM
You really have the worst ideas out there for business's dont you?

imbosile
11-20-2007, 10:21 AM

hahaha

Elbow
11-20-2007, 10:23 AM

LOL sorry that's what I was thinking as well. You would NEVER make a living off of this idea.

TicketRedBB6
11-20-2007, 10:27 AM
Depending on the location, overtime it could be profitable but certainly not enough to live off of. In the beginning it will barely make anything but if it lasted a few years i think word would spread and the "track" or whatever could get better and people might do it. If you have the spare money to buy the land and pay for insurance/maintence/fixing stuff, i say do it. If you're relying on this to pay all of your bills I say don't bother or open it with a few people and split costs.

Killer
11-20-2007, 10:29 AM
make a go kart track instead... you'd make more money that way...

imbosile
11-20-2007, 10:29 AM
i'm sure there would be ordinances about noise and things like that in the area, especially if a target used to be there then it's probably in a busy city. the town might not like that too much

1000cckiller
11-20-2007, 10:31 AM
open a sports bar, or some other venue. Sports bar= big bucks, I will be opening one in about 2yrs.

Elbow
11-20-2007, 10:32 AM
Yeah there are SOOOOOOOOO many variables in something like this.

Glides
11-20-2007, 10:36 AM
Ok, having been an owner of SEDA, I can safely tell you that your busniness idea would fail.

First off. Insurance would eat you alive.
Secondly, your liability would be astronomical.
Thirdly, zoning would be impossible.
I don't even know if Fourthly is a word but, noise violations and complaints would shut you down within the first month.

We did an event at Gwinnett county fairgrounds once.........once. We had so many complaints that an officer was dispatched to sit there. The reason? Screeching tires. Makes everyone around think there's been an accident and they call out the cops.

It's a wonderful idea, but it's a fantasy. You will lose your ass. Black Hills Circuit is losing it's ass right now. Sure it's far away, but they have none of the problems that I mentioned above.

At your place you will have to have track personel, EMT's, Fire services, security and god knows what else because it will be classified as a racing facility. This isn't a skatepark we are talking about.

Repaving alone in the kind of asphalt you would need will run you well over 500,000 i'm sure. To repave and extend BHC was something close to a Mil I think, Could be wrong on that but my paving at my business was over 70,000 and it's tiny.

So open a T-shirt shop and call it a day. Anything more than that will bankrupt you and you'll end up either committing suicide or robbing a 7-11.

Mr_Mischif
11-20-2007, 10:37 AM
O RLY? Considering there are so many people who saw the last F&F and want to learn how to drift, I would say that it wouldn't be too bad if I get enough customers.

Vteckidd
11-20-2007, 10:39 AM
Open a car wash that RECYCLES WATER.

Mr_Mischif
11-20-2007, 10:39 AM
Ok, having been an owner of SEDA, I can safely tell you that your busniness idea would fail.

I don't even know if Fourthly is a word but, noise violations and complaints would shut you down within the first month.

We did an event at Gwinnett county fairgrounds once.........once. We had so many complaints that an officer was dispatched to sit there. The reason? Screeching tires. Makes everyone around think there's been an accident and they call out the cops.

It's a wonderful idea, but it's a fantasy. You will lose your ass. Black Hills Circuit is losing it's ass right now. Sure it's far away, but they have none of the problems that I mentioned above.

At your place you will have to have track personel, EMT's, Fire services, security and god knows what else because it will be classified as a racing facility. This isn't a skatepark we are talking about.

Repaving alone in the kind of asphalt you would need will run you well over 500,000 i'm sure. To repave and extend BHC was something close to a Mil I think, Could be wrong on that but my paving at my business was over 70,000 and it's tiny.

So open a T-shirt shop and call it a day. Anything more than that will bankrupt you and you'll end up either committing suicide or robbing a 7-11.

Wow. I knew it would have a lot of difficulties, but I totally forgot about ins/EMS/paving.

Glides
11-20-2007, 10:45 AM
Wow. I knew it would have a lot of difficulties, but I totally forgot about ins/EMS/paving.

BUT WAIT...There's more.

Plans, planning commision, lawyers fee's (because youa re going to have to go to war with anyone or any business in the area that doesn't want a bunch of fast car driving hoodlums racing around there), hell, just your fee's to have it all drawn up will be in the thousands. Plus all the copys of said plans for every crew that working on the project (and the extra copys for when they leave it at the bar, in their car, at home, destroy it by running over it with a backhoe or paving machine) and so on and so forth.

Then you get to take bids, deal with contracters, deal with theft of materials, electrical permits for the lighting, grease the hands of politicians to fight for you on the city council (such as buying their wives ****ty ass Amway products) and many more fun and exciting hiccups and snafus that come along. The EPA will be your friend throughout the entire experience along with an onsite monitoring company who like to show up at the wee hours of the morning to find the bad things that the crews from the day before forgot to pick up so you get fined.

I'd rather stick my **** in a blender.

Kelly
11-20-2007, 10:52 AM
OR a skating ring...

Jecht
11-20-2007, 11:04 AM
It would be nice to have such a place, but the difficulties of starting something like that would be astronomical.

Seymour222
11-20-2007, 11:59 AM
I will build it.

OneSlow5pt0
11-20-2007, 12:08 PM
open a ice rink.........like kelly said....sucks we dont have any rinks here,then people could have ice hockey leagues

Seymour222
11-20-2007, 12:08 PM
It is a wonderful idea. It IS difficult. But what business on this earth can you make money overnight with NO effort involved...Very few and its fly by night. High Risk-High Gain. It def. would be a plus to deal with a construction management company. You need investors too.

MR2DR
11-20-2007, 12:10 PM
You, sir, know your ****. Have some +rep if i can :goodjob:

driftyboy
11-20-2007, 12:12 PM
DG Trials (http://www.dgtrials.com/) has drift events in the parking lot of Turner field. Why not start there?

And yeah, I'd be there if you start the events!

- Drifty

GIXXERDK
11-20-2007, 12:16 PM
Out of all places, they are trying to shut down Road A.

SL65AMG
11-20-2007, 12:18 PM
OK, since you think the pricing is wonky, how about this: what do you think would be the right amount of money for these times:

1 hr:$30
2 hr:$50
3 hr:$65
all day: $ 125

Mr. Clean
11-20-2007, 12:20 PM
yeah the go kart track would be a much better idea... andretti's makes a fuc*ing killing! all you do is sit in a ridiculous fast go kart for 15 minutes and pay 50 bucks for it... 50 bucks x 20 people = 1,000 every 15 minutes! i know that math is basic but the concept is there... people love go karts or doing something exciting where they wont be held responsible if they mess up.

VegetaRules
11-20-2007, 12:26 PM
Well, Mr_Mischif, let me start by giving you this qoute:
"Keep away from people who belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great."

-Mark Twain

Now tho, the reasoning behind them saying you'd fail may be valid, you do what you feel you wanna do. There's always exceptions to every rule, it's the little people with big dreams who succeed.

Now I'm not shytting on the people who posted that he'd fail. I'm simply saying, that's the main reason alot of people never make it, people not beleiving in themselves/idea's. Goofier shyt has suceeded in the past : The pet rock, The chia pet, hell even the clapper.

Now granted, you could fail, but is it better to try & maybe be successful, or listen to others, not try & wonder "what if"? I'd advise researching, & man if you feel it in your heart DO THE DAMN THING, & don't look back.:goodjob: .....Vegeta

Reaper
11-20-2007, 12:32 PM
stand on the street corner..you'll make more money

Kevykev
11-20-2007, 12:42 PM

:lmfao:

especially the end!

civic95
11-20-2007, 01:13 PM
Do you know how many millions the building/lot alone would cost you? This is commercial property. You'd have to to charge $1000 a car to make it profitable even if you could get past the zoning, etc.

Nissan Sean
11-20-2007, 02:02 PM
man somethin likemthat would be awesome. i have always thought the city should open up a drag strip for all of us "street racers" to run on. they could charge for entry and less people would street race. they actually did somethin like this in California if i remember right. or just a huge lot for people to F around on(drifting, auto x etc..)

Julio
11-20-2007, 04:27 PM
listen anything with coruption will have a better chance... sex store or package store have better hopes.

Invest in a liquor store.

Glides
11-20-2007, 04:36 PM
Well, Mr_Mischif, let me start by giving you this qoute:
"Keep away from people who belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great."

-Mark Twain

Now tho, the reasoning behind them saying you'd fail may be valid, you do what you feel you wanna do. There's always exceptions to every rule, it's the little people with big dreams who succeed.

Now I'm not shytting on the people who posted that he'd fail. I'm simply saying, that's the main reason alot of people never make it, people not beleiving in themselves/idea's. Goofier shyt has suceeded in the past : The pet rock, The chia pet, hell even the clapper.

Now granted, you could fail, but is it better to try & maybe be successful, or listen to others, not try & wonder "what if"? I'd advise researching, & man if you feel it in your heart DO THE DAMN THING, & don't look back.:goodjob: .....Vegeta

You sir, are absolutely correct. He should go for whatever he wants to do. But you are comparing a Million dollar + venture to a Clay pot that plants grow out of, a rock and a small device that clicks on the lights. While they are worthy inventions, they are small, cheap to conceive (hell I got 500000000 pet rocks in my backyard) and are easily mass marketable.

He seems to be looking for something to do, not really invest in per se, but do. He wants to do something. But the scale he is wanting to do it on is huge. Hell, he hadn't even thought of insurance, EMT's and paving. Like most of us when planning something, we skip over the getting there and go straight to the money. :)

So, while I think it would be a great idea, it's a nigh unattainable one without a hefty investor with lots of capital.

Let's ask the grading guy. Put together an estimate on a lot the size of a Target, with parking, slideout zones for out of control cars, pavement and the incredible amount of barriers you are going to have to have to satisy the city. That is just one part of this venture. Because you won't get away with flags like DGTrials one day events, not being a permanant site.

I can tell you this, I think our Insurance costs were right around 1000-2000 (depending on who we used) for just one day at a Seda event. I think the lowest we got it down too was $500. For one day.

It's not as easy as it sounds. By far.

yudalicious
11-20-2007, 04:55 PM
hmm I seem to remember a place called BHC... I also seem to remember all the hoopla and commotion and that half of the people that said they'd support such a place never did. You just have to remember that this is IA, where most of the racing happens online.

PSINXS
11-20-2007, 05:26 PM
would be awesome. also weigh in noise ordinance, insurance, etc

Black Hills is too far out. way out in Barnesville. my wife use to live about 10 mins from there when she went to Gordon college.

if there was somewhere close then it would probably get more support

PSINXS
11-20-2007, 05:31 PM
listen anything with coruption will have a better chance... sex store or package store have better hopes.

Troof. my boy is opening a drive thru liquor store and its really pure profit

redrumracer
11-20-2007, 05:35 PM
i say go for what ever you want, its your idea and if you do fail lesson learned, but if you succeed it will be truly rewarding

Mr_Mischif
11-20-2007, 05:39 PM
You sir, are absolutely correct. He should go for whatever he wants to do. But you are comparing a Million dollar + venture to a Clay pot that plants grow out of, a rock and a small device that clicks on the lights. While they are worthy inventions, they are small, cheap to conceive (hell I got 500000000 pet rocks in my backyard) and are easily mass marketable.

He seems to be looking for something to do, not really invest in per se, but do. He wants to do something. But the scale he is wanting to do it on is huge. Hell, he hadn't even thought of insurance, EMT's and paving. Like most of us when planning something, we skip over the getting there and go straight to the money. :)

So, while I think it would be a great idea, it's a nigh unattainable one without a hefty investor with lots of capital.

Let's ask the grading guy. Put together an estimate on a lot the size of a Target, with parking, slideout zones for out of control cars, pavement and the incredible amount of barriers you are going to have to have to satisy the city. That is just one part of this venture. Because you won't get away with flags like DGTrials one day events, not being a permanant site.

I can tell you this, I think our Insurance costs were right around 1000-2000 (depending on who we used) for just one day at a Seda event. I think the lowest we got it down too was $500. For one day.

It's not as easy as it sounds. By far.

Can you give me the name of the company that insures the SEDA events? I want to see how much a year it would cost me to insure my site. Also do you know any place where I can electronically check the size of locations such as my deserted Target lot? Plus zoning if you can; I'm just in the "dream" stage of this project right now, but if I think I won't have to live in the gutter for 15 years if it fails, I just might say f*ck it and do it.

Mr_Mischif
11-20-2007, 05:40 PM
PS I'm not in it for the money really, I just want someplace for us to have SEDA and Drift Fury events w/o being looked down upon.

TheDarkRacer
11-20-2007, 05:49 PM
^^ u my man are liven life. Good luck, i know as soon as it got done id be out there rippin it up.... so yea im a supporter, just make sure you get a list of things needed, and some estimates.(also you should see how close a gas staion is so then you can see about makin a deal where you can sell their gas at the place just incase P.S. its an idea....)

Jecht
11-20-2007, 06:00 PM
Glides is right. I think that it would be foolish to even attempt to open a track in an old parking lot. You likely cannot finance it yourself (no offense) and there will be very few if any people that are willing to invest in it.

Unless you get one of the Hogans to finance it. I'm sure Nick would love to crash cars there all day long.

DrivenMind
11-20-2007, 07:03 PM

Who are you? I drove at the GCF event, and its still considered by a lot of people who went, to have been one of the best events thats been held in Ga. The track layout was amazing, and it was long. Not like the typical events we get now, with a "track" containing usually 4 corners. While those are great for learning consistency, they're not nearly as fun as thrashing your car for almost a solid minute.

Is anything happening with BHC, or are you guys just gonna leave it as it?

lilmanx01
11-20-2007, 07:37 PM

i agree now the problem with a liquor store is you gotta find a great location. and have a lot of $$$ to invest to get it going. basically the more you buy the cheaper you get it. one of my uncles locations is pretty big and he's able to stock a lot and doesnt have much competition. another really cool thing is he has drive through windows on both sides of his store...its pretty pimp. you just pull up tell him what em what you want and they'll go grab it for you. if you dont know but have a budget we recommend something.

now a sex shop makes a ton of money too. and the cool thing is most of it is just through orders. people order all kinds of sex toys and whatever cause most of them are to shy/scared to come in.

HiPSI
11-20-2007, 10:05 PM
PS I'm not in it for the money really, I just want someplace for us to have SEDA and Drift Fury events w/o being looked down upon.

we don't get looked down upon at the current running venues. there are still a few elitist SCCA guys that just hate the sport of drifting, but we have no problem securing the current venues.

to add to the list of problems with the idea, you have to think about actual profitability. turner field for example, has these giant parking lots because they have a multi-million dollar facility to fill up during games. those lots just sit idle when there are no games going on, so it's just money on the side for them to rent them out to use. all of their money is made on the stadium, the money we pay to use the lots is pretty much enough to cover re-striping and maintaining them after we're done. in the case of your concept, the lot is your only money maker and while it wouldn't take any major staffing it would still run you into the ground in insurance costs. that's also assuming you got the place up and running, which would end up close to if not over $1M and insane lobbying with local government just to get any kind of approval (take into account that even though they approve it, they can still shut you down too).

as much as i'd love to see something like this come together, i just don't see it happening anywhere near any kind of major city.

HiPSI
11-20-2007, 10:08 PM
Is anything happening with BHC, or are you guys just gonna leave it as it?

from what i've seen the guy is trying to sell it. for a mere $280k you can own your own beat up kart track in the middle of nowhere, GA.

lilmanx01
11-20-2007, 10:19 PM
Troof. my boy is opening a drive thru liquor store and its really pure profit

oh **** pimpin haha i didnt even see this post before i posted :goodjob:

Glides
11-21-2007, 12:33 AM
Can you give me the name of the company that insures the SEDA events? I want to see how much a year it would cost me to insure my site. Also do you know any place where I can electronically check the size of locations such as my deserted Target lot? Plus zoning if you can; I'm just in the "dream" stage of this project right now, but if I think I won't have to live in the gutter for 15 years if it fails, I just might say f*ck it and do it.

I'll see what I can do.

Drivenminded. I'm Jay from SEDA. I drove the Red Bull looking 240, my brothers Mike from Top Hat. Seda is actually now being taken over by Marcos Ruiz. He's cool and I think he will do great with it.

DrivenMind
11-21-2007, 08:35 AM
http://icanhascheezburger.files.wordpress.com/2007/11/funny-pictures-cat-birdcage.jpg

DrivenMind
11-21-2007, 08:36 AM
I'll see what I can do.

Drivenminded. I'm Jay from SEDA. I drove the Red Bull looking 240, my brothers Mike from Top Hat. Seda is actually now being taken over by Marcos Ruiz. He's cool and I think he will do great with it.

Ah ya, I filmed you at the Lucky Slides event back in teh day... I think...

Marcos is a damned good dude, I had no idea he was running SEDA now... crazy.

ahmonrah
11-22-2007, 12:23 AM
mr mischif
i grew up where you live now and that spot has been abandoned since i came back from the military on like 99-00. i've thought about putting **** there too and it's still for sale, but you'de honestly have to have more than one operation there....a cash cow if you will to be able to keep the plot profitable enough to be able to do something for the enthusiasts...referencing the autox/gymkana/DORIFTOooo!!! that your talkng about.

it's like having a "custom body shop" they mostly keep things going with insurance claims until they get a person in the door that wants to pay for CUSTOM WORK.

ahmonrah
11-22-2007, 12:27 AM
PS I'm not in it for the money really, I just want someplace for us to have SEDA and Drift Fury events w/o being looked down upon.and not shooting down what your saying....god know passion is what's needed to drive things....but passion without solid backing is like masturbation.......FILL IT IN PEOPLES!!!!

and meanwhile your left with the clean up......

EdgarG.
11-22-2007, 12:40 AM
I say you open up a sports bar, and let everyone from IA chill in the parking lot on weekends

DrivenMind
11-22-2007, 02:05 AM
Haha, Contact Super Autobacs, and see if they want to open a store on the east coast.

Brut
11-22-2007, 10:59 AM
Not sure if anyone has noticed this yet. His (Mr_Mischief) birthday is Sep 14, 1991 so hes 16? I know there are 16 yr old millionaires and all out there that had some idea went with it and made millions from it. I doubt this idea would ever work. BUT if you do somehow get it to work more power to you.

ahmonrah
11-22-2007, 03:25 PM
born in 91??!! holy shyt i was raising hell as a young teen then....this kid doesnt know when the first nintendo came out!!

i'm not even 30 but this dude make me feel old....