PDA

View Full Version : STS turbo system question?

Slow Motion
11-19-2007, 09:21 PM
Question does anyone know about the sts turbo system? Does there system seem to be sound technology or does it seem like a waste. Im not sure but from the way the setup looks, it seems like you wouldn't get an adequate amount of pressure from the turbo due to the fact that it is placed in the rear of the vehicle. What do you all think?

allmotoronly
11-19-2007, 09:31 PM
they look pretty cool. I haven't seen one in real life, but I watched all the videos a while back. It seems like the twin turbo kits spool slow though...

Bballjamal
11-19-2007, 09:42 PM
There's a lag factor because it's placed far back from the initial exhaust exit from the header(s) but if it's put together in a quality fashion (proper welds, bends, oil system, etc) of course it's sound.

Fr33way
11-19-2007, 09:50 PM
A smaller turbine is used as there are spooling issues with that amount of piping. The length actually DOES cool the intake charge SOME but after a certain level (anywhere from 5-9 psi depending on app.) intercooling or water injection is necessary. Of course adding an intercooler reduces boost pressure even more so goals and a properly sized turbo have to be well planned out.

IMO very cool mod that can be done on the cheap (random turbo, piping, elbows) but I would not go for big gains with it. It only stays a budget at the lower boost levels. By the time you are running serious power you are looking at real turbo setup money.

Bballjamal
11-19-2007, 11:51 PM
Yea, its basically the super budget turbo set-up..Especially if you got a homie at an exhaust shop.

Slow Motion
11-20-2007, 12:11 AM
I read all there info and watched the vids too I just didn't see where it would give significant gians in hp. Its like putting on a C.A.I. And wanted to know if anyone had any experience with it though.

Bballjamal
11-20-2007, 12:16 AM
There's an Eco cav running 8-10lbs and putting down around 255 or so for power...Unless you're trying to run 15+ psi this would be an alright option. It's easy to fab up considering you're good with a mandrel(sp.) pipe bender and running oil lines....

H/o while I find a guy running 12's or 13's on a remote mounted set-up, if I still have his site saved

Slow Motion
11-20-2007, 12:21 AM
Yeah it seems interesting. I wonder how cool does the turbo actually run. I'm getting ready to put a vh(q45 engine) in a z32. But not really sure. Ive got the engine but trying to find a body not overpriced.

Bballjamal
11-20-2007, 12:23 AM
BAM...Everything you need to know.. (http://khturbo.net/rmtz24/RMTZ24.html#PhaseIITurbo)

Takes awhile for the page to load but you'll see how easy this build can be. And no, its not just a CAI

His numbers are actually upwards of 340whp I believe also...That's from a not so potent 3400 engine. Atleast with the 2200 you can upgrade internals and tune on HpTuners and be much lighter than the car he was using. All you need is about 250-270whp to get down to some descent numbers in these cars. You'll be seeing low-mid 13s I'm sure with supporting mods and DR's :D

Also, I thought you were talking about your sunfire. But it's basically the same thing for each set-up. Just make sure you have an oil pump that's sufficient to draw and supply the oil where it needs to go. Most people don't even intercool these set-ups because they're running right under the car. Plus, they've actually said running alky injection to the turbo is a tad better than waisting time with an intercooler in set-ups that aren't that sophisticated..

Bruce Leroy
11-20-2007, 04:19 AM
They sound sick....