PDA

View Full Version : General Chat How did u get in to the tunning(car) world ?

cactusEG
11-19-2007, 07:13 PM
How did u get into cars (imports) ?

I use to skateboard with some guy that were into cars big time, kinda caught on. That and some of the cars i saw in my area..

OneSlow5pt0
11-19-2007, 07:18 PM
F&F

lol

allmotoronly
11-19-2007, 09:39 PM
I got too many speeding tickets in my Trans Am, so I bought a civic as a DD. 6 years later and I have been through countless honda's.

IOnlyLookStock
11-19-2007, 10:10 PM
F&F

lol

Haha! Me 2! That and gran turismo.

k20siboii
11-19-2007, 10:25 PM
need for speed

haha

1SICKLEX
11-19-2007, 10:25 PM
I was born into it, I have loved cars since day 1. I have the say the internet helped tons, joining Clublexus.com.

Fr33way
11-19-2007, 10:33 PM
Always loved cars but learned about more by playing the OG Gran Turismo when it came out. Cracks me up to think about how I used change every little setting when I barely understood what it did LOL.

Getting on Maxima.org got me into working on cars, trading parts, and going to meets. I saw a bunch of cars at Petco one night in '05 and joined the same night. I still am more active on the .org but try to help when I can around here and also look for meets.

Elbow
11-19-2007, 10:36 PM
Being around cars since I came out, was into lowriders a long time lol, then lowrider euro led me to imports. On the side I was a TOTAL European car nut with Le Mans and other European road races. And racing karts of course got me into cars.

redrumracer
11-19-2007, 10:45 PM
well i always liked cars and now i cant afford gas of a v8

hXc007
11-19-2007, 11:04 PM
i pretty much grew up in my dad's old volkswagen baja bug, so always being around them and being into hot wheels as a kid got me to start loving cars

now i cant stop if i wanted to its an addiction lol

Z32redondo
11-19-2007, 11:13 PM
My dad had classic muscle cars when I was growing up. Also IA was one of the most helpful sources in learning.

KevinT707
11-20-2007, 01:20 AM
Always liked cars, but F&F got me into Imports.

Bballjamal
11-20-2007, 01:36 AM
Been into muscle cars since I was young thanks to mom working for GM and us getting passes to go to nhra top fuel drags @ commerce. But the tuner stuff came from these asian kids in Aurora, Co I skated and smoked with in middle school. They were obsessed with supras and 300zx's. Plus one of the kids bro had an nsx. This was back in 97 I think..

osiriskidd
11-20-2007, 01:57 AM
my brother was a mechanic with a MKIII supra and supra/celica thing? iunno i was like 3.

SixSquared
11-20-2007, 09:58 AM
My dad and I bought a mustang when I was 15... it was a 1973 mach I that needed a new wiring harness to run... he thought it would be fun project. While waiting for the wiring harness, I got on some mustang forums, and they were all like "get headers, get exhaust, get this, get that", and being 15 with a job and no bills since I was still at home, I was like "ok!" so the parts started piling up. Installed them all with my dad, did the wiring harness, took it out for a spin, and my dad was like "There is no way in HELL that you're driving this to school... WAY too much power". So I drove it a few times and then we sold it and he gave me my first del Sol. The del Sol was slow, and I wanted it faster, like the mustang (LOL) so I hopped on a del Sol forum to see what I could do to fix that.... Been modding imports ever since.

OneSlow5pt0
11-20-2007, 10:17 AM
GT is really what bought be to the racing world,then i started watching secca and GT cups....but GT is what amde me fall in love with Rotaries

©hris
11-20-2007, 10:20 AM
My dad has had a shop since before i was born... basicly was raised into an obsession.

dc2teg2006
11-20-2007, 10:24 AM
my sister ex bf was into cars, so i hung out with him and got into cars too!

.blank cd
11-20-2007, 10:52 AM
Im sure for alot of us F&F sparked a flame. I remember before the movie came out, my buddies uncle had a nicely modded show civic (EJ) and a SI (EM) and that kinda got me into it. Gran Turismo helped alot too, but i never actually bought hondas in that game. It was always skylines and vipers and stuff like that. Then I bought my first honda a couple years back and signed up on IA.

Elbow
11-20-2007, 02:55 PM
I really am in shock the F&F did get people into it, I was young when the first one came out and already into imports and went to make fun of it lol.

Glides
11-20-2007, 03:01 PM
What's a Tunning car?

mocha latte cupcake
11-20-2007, 03:09 PM
lol glides

my dad has a OG RX... 1st gen and i had a great time riding in it when i was like 2-6.. fro then on he was always buying me books about cars, models of them, posters etc etc.. now my dad isn't a hardcore car guy but he could see i liked them. i picked up my first road and track @ age 9 and was hooked.. got my first "tuner" magazine when i was actually down here in hilton head on vacation. it was full of EVO's, Skylines, FD's, EG's it was great. i was hooked.. my first car was a 1994 sentra 4 dr auto. i thought it was the greatest car EVER! lol within the first 3 days i had a set of new headlight bulbs, KN filter and clear corner lights... i didn't invest much money cause i was still new into it and lets face it i couldn't justify the mod money for good mods on that car lol... my next cars got all the money i ever made... and eventually here we are :D

HeLLo iM iZzY
11-20-2007, 03:17 PM
I really am in shock the F&F did get people into it, I was young when the first one came out and already into imports and went to make fun of it lol.I call BS.

There wasn't one person who made fun of F&F when it first came out. Everyone was into the bodykits and spoiler and having a movie with all that in there was a plus for every tuner. Don't give me that sh1t that you made fun of it. Ha.

EJ25RUN
11-20-2007, 03:33 PM
2000 - hating hondas

2005 - owning a honda

2007 - hating hondas

Andy_013
11-20-2007, 03:38 PM
My dad and older brother was into cars so they got me hooked.

SiRed94
11-20-2007, 05:17 PM
born into it... there was no hope for me....

blackshine007
11-20-2007, 05:25 PM
I've been into cars since I can remember. My uncles has always customized them. I just got into fixing them. Then I heard an NSX for the first time and I thought, WOW, how do I get a regular car to sound like that. Then I met some people who were just getting into the trend. Magazines were coming up. I met more people and next thing you know, I wanted to be just a little bit faster than I was.

Kevykev
11-20-2007, 08:10 PM
Motor Trend Magazine!

then Super Street was introduce through them...

asian
11-20-2007, 10:22 PM
F&F and Kevint707 helped me with learning more about cars

redrumracer
11-20-2007, 10:34 PM
I call BS.

There wasn't one person who made fun of F&F when it first came out. Everyone was into the bodykits and spoiler and having a movie with all that in there was a plus for every tuner. Don't give me that sh1t that you made fun of it. Ha.

actually i could say that my love for cars was no result of F&F, and yes i did make fun of it, ive always liked domestics and always will mostly.

madking411
11-20-2007, 10:36 PM
GranTurismo mostly....then, it was gettin my license, and 1st car...My 1st car is what caused me to get into it though b/cuz i was constantly under the hood of it, tryin to make it run right. Til it finally died back in July... Carburetor went bad, and we couldnt find a replacement or rebuild for it.

:D Acutally, im STILL gettin into the tuner world! I just need some more money to back up what i try to build-- ....got me a new project car too......:ninja:

kppk1986
11-21-2007, 12:37 AM
had nothing else better to do...... :)

BlkCD5
11-21-2007, 01:14 AM
started from the car shows and games like Gran turismo. Also involuntarily working on cars sparked the interest as well.

Seymour222
11-21-2007, 02:15 PM
I did a fairly large job a few years ago and had some money burning a hole in my pocket. I bought a car. Then I met BTEC and TurboDave. End of story. Jesse was like "who is dis sucka, hes a fool" . Dave was like "I can turbo your airplane".

Before I met BTEC and TD, I met Mr. Kidd, I went into NOPI in smyrna and Mike was like"Dude you re a fag, Ill charge you 20 dollars higher than MSRP. hahahaha.

DrivenMind
11-21-2007, 02:26 PM
It started before I could talk.

Then I discovered the original Gran Turismo, and all hell broke loose. At the age of 15, I started tearing the interior out of my dads car to lighten it, which became my very first car.

Then I went from street racing to getting arrested a couple of times, and decided that drifting was a more fun legal alternative to street racing, and plus it teaches you basic car control which is always an invaluable lesson to learn.

v-empire
11-21-2007, 02:34 PM
grew up watching formula one and rally in the early 80's.
naturally, the first car i could drive was going to be practice for formula one, i thought..lol. i was 9 years old when i stole my mom's citroen, then started to use my neighbors pulsar gtir to street race 5 years later, then got my self an evo5 briefly to road race on track, and then no more street racing when i went to college.
still messing with cars. now all on the track. next year i may start drifting my road race car.

madwick
11-21-2007, 02:35 PM
dad bought me my first car, 90 GS integra. then about 6 months later after hating the car cause it was auto, F&F came out. i hauled ass to our local shop and proceeded to buy parts and entered inot NOPI Nat.s and my friends joined in!!!

once i realized how cool JDM s hit is i fell deeper in debt, i mean love!

DrivenMind
11-21-2007, 02:46 PM
lol, I was practicing heel toe downshifting at 15. Now I'm a master of it.

Oh ya, and I read "Going Faster: Mastering the Art of Race Driving" by the instructors at the Skip Barber racing school when I was 17, which had a profound influence on the way I approached my driving.

superboost
11-21-2007, 08:53 PM
Always been into cars and anything automotive. At 5 I had a minibike and go-kart. Grew up around motors pretty much all my life. My dad, owning a shop used to get customers to bring in some of their more cherished go-fast cars. He'd bring them home and take me out for a ride in them. I can remember my mom's 1988 audi turbo quatro. decently quick for its time. I can remember very vividly the twin-turbo 300zx he brought home one night. Also, a nutty fellow who swapped a 350 SBC into a 79 porsche 911. The car looked and ran like crap, but went like stink!

Anyway, it came time for me to get a car, and I had my heart set on a TT 300zx, a single turbo 280zx or an old school mustang/289 maverick. I figured I could pick one up at an auction and repair it. He was insistant I get a volvo. I thought they were slow, ugly and handled poorly. It did. I hated that car. It broke more times than I would care to admit here, but taught me much. Fortune smiled upon me with an out of state driver rear-ending that slow POS of a tank at 65mph, and the resultant injuries to myself and the car awarded me with a relatively fat settlement check.

I used the cash to go to the auction and I was sure my nissan, or at the very least, mustang addled dreams would finally be realized. However, my dad insisted I buy another volvo. I was pretty pissed, as I HATED those cars, but in my research online, I stumbled upon a few volvo tuning sites and learned of the potential those cars had. I reluctantly agreed, but scouted the lot for a turbo car, and my quest began. I also purchased a 1990 dodge shelby daytona 2.5t from a friend, but after a short (30 day) stint of modding it, my dad wouldn't permit it on the property, so the car was towed and impounded (never to be seen again). It had intercooler, 50% injectors, intake, ****ty cherry-bomb exhaust, zenier diode and a few gauges.

He was dead set against me modding any car, so I had to work on the remaining car in complete secret. Whenever he would catch me modding, he'd yell at me. We butted heads many times. We nearly came to blows over it, and we didn't speak for months. During a camshaft install, he made me push the car outside the shop and left me and the car stranded, still partially assembled. I've called home frantically about being stranded due to a busted rod, or a bad starter only to hear "wow, that sucks. good luc----click".

Long story short, I mainly started modding the volvo to spite the old man. He used to say all the time "that old volvo is nice, slow and safe. You'll never make it fast.". I showed him pretty good lol. Anyway, he has now turned around big time to my volvo obsession. We are on good terms and he brags about me and my "fast volvo". It was a dark time in our relationship, but my car modding hobby weathered the storm.

The wierdest, most ironic part of all this is that my father is a mechanic owns a very successful shop that spans three buildings and 2 rental properties to other shops. What is even funnier is that I RARELY get to use any of the facilities in them.

I still think volvos are ugly and slow, but what is funny is that is the whole appeal behind modding a brick. They are ugly, fat and slow. Everyone almost always underestimates what you have under the hood, so when you hand someone their ass with your ugly, fat, slow grocery getter, the victory is that much sweeter; their embarassment that much greater.

hondachik
11-21-2007, 09:01 PM
wow...uh the sound of the mufflers is what attracted me...then when I was childless I had nothing better to spend my money on. Now I have a child but I'm beyond addicted to my car. Its something I can mold into anything I want because I pay the notes on it...and its mine (until I stop paying the notes on it & it gets repo'd)...but its a wonderful feeling riding down the road & having other motorists hear u coming first, then see u. then for them to give u props when they see your progress...I just love the attention & I love Hondas =)

madking411
11-23-2007, 09:10 AM
BUMP for this thread!

Mad Mike
11-23-2007, 09:49 AM
bought a talon as my first car so I had to learn to fix it quick(2 weeks after I bought it, it broke down for the first time)
Traided it for a 84 hatchback and got hooked on the honda bug.

RUFFIAN
11-24-2007, 10:00 PM
I've been into cars every since I was about 1 years old. Its funny 'cause my kids were the same way from birth.

Wurm
11-24-2007, 10:06 PM
i like the smell of gas enough said

Reaper
11-24-2007, 10:12 PM
My parents had a trans am in the 80's and for the first 3years of my life that was basically the only car i was ever taken around in. A loud "fast" trans am..parents get a maxima it was quiet...I apparently would cry everytime I got in the car...Parents knew that I would be a speed demon...well...almost 18 years later, 12 tickets and zero license suspension's it makes sense...been in it from day one..my entire life I wanted american muscle until I rode in my Uncle's TT supra when I was 11. (the is wayyy before F&F)..been in love since.

01CDMLUDER
11-24-2007, 10:24 PM
my dad bought a chevy truck and i'd always watch him work on it when i was a kid. then my friend bought a 94 civic and i helped him with his many repairs/mods. i love both domestic and import cars but i really love working on them.

2turbo4u
11-24-2007, 11:06 PM
A buddy of mines had a 90 Da and had IHE on it and he said it made more power than stock and from there I was off into hooking up cars

cactusEG
11-25-2007, 04:58 PM
BUMP for this thread!

thanks homie... :goodjob:

Oz10
11-26-2007, 06:06 PM
My dad got me into racing at an early age. Then when I was old enough to drive I wanted a car that was fun to drive.

takume
11-28-2007, 01:10 AM
play too much game, lol..

3.5altman
11-28-2007, 01:46 AM
every since i was a little boy ive been hooked on cars, really got into them when i got in highschool, thats when if you had a hooked up honda you was the ****...lol

magneto198
11-30-2007, 11:31 PM
started working on my friend's honda accord....then it all started with more hondas

TallGuy
11-30-2007, 11:49 PM
My Father built cars when I was a kid so it started from there.

atlxpat
12-01-2007, 01:27 AM
i've always hung out with older people then me for some odd reason, so i got into it around 6th-7th grade.
haha F&F made me HATE the image it gave to imports. the outrageous exterior work and false facts and the eclipse shifting 7 times in the first drag made me sad.* yes go watch it and count how many time that guy shifts*

allmotorX
12-01-2007, 08:48 AM
need for speed

haha:goodjob: same here

DUBSf22c
12-01-2007, 09:09 AM
lets just start at my parents met in the car biz selling nissans and both of them driving a Z.. so do I need to say more

Halfwit
12-01-2007, 09:40 AM
i jsut always wanted more with my car, always wanted to make it better, make people not expect it to be what it is. i love the shock factor wether it being a very clean car, or fast, or rare. espicially at a young age. DIY forums helped me,

but IA seriously made me the enthusiast i am today. i would probably still be putting body kits on hondas if it wasnt for IA.

VegetaRules
12-01-2007, 09:57 AM
Well, I'm a tad old, so it'll kinda show here. What got me started was Smokey & The Bandit! LMAO Poor old Buford & that black bandit car, yeesh. My dad loved them, so he taught me to drive at an early age.

Then moved to GA when everyone was driving short dog Caddy's & I wanted one. I wanted mine money green with the gold flakes, on vogues, hmmm come to think about it I still kinda do. LMAO

Then F&F got me into imports, & wanting to go fast,as I was into domestics back then. Brian( Keebs) on here sold me my 1st import, my riced-out Celica,then I joined a car team, & they sent me here.

I know have a true total better understanding about cars,their capabilities,ect. So now I'm in school so I can riceout( I.E paint, auto collision) any car I damn get. lol....Vegeta

quickdodge®
12-01-2007, 10:25 AM
How did u get into cars (imports) ?

I invented the hobby you fuck.

I use to skateboard .

Oh ****....lolol. I'll stop there..it's too easy. Later, QD.

fivex684
12-01-2007, 10:34 PM
Born in to it. My parents have always been in to cars so it rubbed off. My dad had an 260Z he built, and gave to me after he got a 911 SC. So thats where the Japanese side started for me. Then after driving my dads SC and moms 951 I fell in love with European cars.

bowdown201
12-02-2007, 08:22 AM
been into cars since i was a kid. got it from my dad and i used to come out to meets ever since i was like 12.

Jecht
12-02-2007, 09:24 AM
My dad had me help him with his old Beetles when I was growing up. I helped do little work on his other VWs as well. I mean I even helped hand him tools when he was putting Eibach springs and a Neuspeed short shifter on his Mk2 Jetta back in 1993 (I was 5!).