PDA

View Full Version : Am I owned? Transmission Experts Advice Needed

VegetaRules
11-18-2007, 01:42 PM
Okay, fellas,I have a potential problem, so I'm asking the IA experts for some opinions. I posted this up on my celica forums, & they gave me some opinions, so now I'm asking for your's.

Okay, I have a 2000 GT-S. Now I have the typical gear grind & popout( occasionally) while in or shifting to 2nd gear. Okay, on my way home I'm in motion, tried to shift it wouldn't let me, then car stalled.

Okay, this will sound weird, as it's weird me typing/explaining this to my mechanic.

Okay, it's like a wall when I try to shift into gears. Now I can start the car in neutral & it sounds fine. Now I jammed it into reverse & the car cut off, but when I tried to crank the car, it started going in reverse.

But as soon as I let off the clutch, the car cut back off. This also happened in 1st gear. The car would sputter forward & reverse with it in gear & me cranking it up. Now the car was shaking & sputtering while this was going on.

So is it the synchros, or is the transmission screwed? Just the clutch? Short-shifter screwed? I just want my car back. lol

Now it's at my mechanics now, but any info that'd help me to help him would be greatly appreciated.....Vegeta

green91
11-18-2007, 01:51 PM
More than likely youve got a issue with the hydraulic portion of your clutch or the pressure plate. Ive never heard of any issues with the 6 speed at either dealer ive worked at

silversol
11-18-2007, 01:54 PM
sounds like a clutch

Vteckidd
11-18-2007, 01:56 PM
thE CLUTCH ISNT FULLY DISENGAGING, THATS WHY IT IS MOVING WHEN YOU CRANK IT UP IN REVERSE WITH THE CLUTCH PUSHED IN.

Most likely you have a bent pressure plate coupled with a torn up clutch disk.

Replace the clutch and it should run good as new. Drain the fluid out of the trans and look for metal shavings as well.

But what you are describing is a clutch issue, not a blown up tranny.

VegetaRules
11-18-2007, 01:58 PM
You worked at Toyota dealership? Now the other celica guys suggested that it maybe:

Broken Synchros

Snapped, or broken shifter cables

Clutch isn't disengaging all the way.

Could just be in need of adjustment or may need a new clutch master and/or a new slave cylinder.

System may just need to be bled.

Any of these options sound right to you?......Vegeta

Vteckidd
11-18-2007, 02:02 PM
Look do this:

Check the Master Cylinder for FLuid. If its dry, refill an bleed.

If it has fluid, its no your problem. If the master is full you can eliminate the slave cylinder too.

Broken synchros dont cause the transmission to cease an lock up. not unless you were grinding every single gear for a long time an so much metal got built up inside it blocked a countershaft from spinning, but the trans moves with the engine, and usually you cant stop that.

When is the last time you had a clutch installed?

im willing to bet $ that if you replace the clutch it drives good as new.

VegetaRules
11-18-2007, 02:03 PM
Thanks alot MrKidd, I most definately appreciate the wisdom. I feel alot better knowing that thats the problem. Sorry I was typing my other post before I saw the other replies.

I love this site, you guys know everything!! lol Well thats big weight knowing it's only a $400 job ( $250 for the labor & $150 for the clutch off E-bay).:goodjob:

Reps to all who posted for the quick assistance......Vegeta

Vteckidd
11-18-2007, 02:06 PM
The clutch prob WONT fix the grind you were having, but it will fix the car not moving or running.

Just drain the tranny fluid and look for metal shavings. If big chunks of metal come out, most likely its something much more serious. but i doubt it.

Definetly sounds like a clutch

VegetaRules
11-18-2007, 02:14 PM
Well the clutch was replaced Feb of 06. Now I did try to teach the wife how to drive recently, so yeah she might have fooked shyt up. LMAO....Vegeta