PDA

View Full Version : LS -Vtec Experice?

Konstantin
11-18-2007, 12:39 AM
Anyone here have some actual number LS Vtec experience? I've got lots of questions and idead I'd like to shoot back and forth. Any help is appreciated.

Mainly, what kind of power is it putting out with, say, b18a1 block and a b16 head? stock.

What is the weight of the engine and tranny?

Red line? Power band? umm...

if it were to be made forced induction, what kind of numbers are we looking at at what ammount of boost?

Questions like that are on my mind in a bad way....so if anyone could help I'd really appreciate it.

THanks,
Konstantin

PS: sorry to be absent for a lil while here, i just got a new job 3 weeks ago and have been workin my ass off. las week was 52 hours worked, plus full time school. I'm prety wore out....

Papa_Smurf
11-18-2007, 01:10 AM
kevin has an ls/vtec....

him name is like kevin 707 or something, idk i forget.

Thundercat
11-18-2007, 02:04 AM
mine pulls hard ...i'm still playin with it thou..i gotta lot of wiring bugs to get out first...then i'll be set...i ran a 16.5 last weekend..but thats SUPER crappy due to my dizzy taking a **** on me in the middle of my run..
look at this boostd lsvtc build..good numbers

Bone stock LS bottom end, b16a head, itr cams, arp head studs, OEM headgasket, edelbrock IM, stock tb

Mods: Inline pro cast stainless manifold, tial 38mm wg, t3/60-1 .63a/r, 3" dp, 3" exhaust, no cat, dumptube under oil pan, custom 2.5" charge pipes, tial 50mm bov, precision medium intercooler, RC 750cc injectors, walbro 255lph HP pump, turbo xs single stage boost controller

Tuning at 11psi on 93 octane, Graph is a little wavy due to boost fluctuation.
http://dynos.evans-tuning.com/350whpepicgreenteg.jpg

Thundercat
11-18-2007, 02:06 AM
also get rid of your ls rods, some ppl just have them shotpend but i would invest in eagle, and some ARP head bolts

crhatchzc
11-18-2007, 02:40 AM
does a ls vtec stock have low compression?

Konstantin
11-18-2007, 09:21 AM
Ahh, yes, thats what I forgot. COmpression.Thanks, Cr

StraightSix
11-18-2007, 09:42 AM
Here's (http://www.c-speedracing.com/howto/compcalc/compcalc.php) a compression calulator for both d and b series engines. It'll let you figure a compression ratio for a lot of different combinations of block/head/rods/etc.

Thundercat
11-18-2007, 09:59 AM
nice link...looks like a stock lsvtec is around 11.6

1kreationz40
11-18-2007, 02:49 PM
me and 2 buddies back in 04 built a ls/vtec, b18b with gsr head, skunk2 im...with all jdm type r internals. pulled 173whp with crome tunning with jdm type r base map....ran a 14.1 at New England Speedway in New Hampshire....but ran into too much problems so he went back too his gsr......good motor...but too much probs, unless u really got money and build it correct and blue printed.

Konstantin
11-18-2007, 04:05 PM
What kind of problems were they? What kind of power was he pushng and how?

Great replys, guys. thanks much for all your input

1kreationz40
11-18-2007, 08:44 PM
Theres no problem in building a ls/vtec, it was our first backyard ls/vtec build dup, so we did everything from our knowledge, the power it made was good for it being all stock jdm type r internals, he just ran into problems like replacing headgasket, motor smoking alot, it wasnt stable but i know of people who has done ls/vtec and still rocking it still with no problems, running correct....but then....why not just build dup a gsr....but then again it all depends on what you wanna do and how u wanna spend ya money.