PDA

View Full Version : General Chat 2003 acura 3.2 cl type-s

240sx_dreams
11-17-2007, 11:40 PM
hey guys i was thinking about possibly getting a 2003 acura cl 3.2 type=s from a friend of mine do you think this would make a good vehicle and what kind of performancemods would you recommend for it

JITB
11-17-2007, 11:59 PM
Realibility of an accord, with acura "luxury"

but i walked 2 of them on the highway in my protege..:)

1SICKLEX
11-18-2007, 10:21 AM
hey guys i was thinking about possibly getting a 2003 acura cl 3.2 type=s from a friend of mine do you think this would make a good vehicle and what kind of performancemods would you recommend for it
Make sure it has the warranty. My best bud is on his 6th transmission. The tranny's are so bad, Honda backs free tranny's to 100,000 miles.

After that, all these used car owners are ****ed.

Its built in the Marysville, Ohio plant and the car is now discontinued, so resale sucks.

You get 260hp and the car is VERY quick stock. Interior is nice (I love the seats). Aftermarket support is minimal. HIDs stock, 17s stock. Torque steer galore.

Repost Squintz
11-18-2007, 11:26 AM
u can get a comptech supercharger... i think that's if they still sell those... nice 3" catback exhaust.. tein coilovers..and some 17's or 18's oh yeah and comptech headers.
but who knows....

Kevykev
11-18-2007, 11:53 AM
Make sure it has the warranty. My best bud is on his 6th transmission. The tranny's are so bad, Honda backs free tranny's to 100,000 miles.

That would've been my contribution to this thread. :goodjob:

Soon to be mother-in-law got hers rebuilt @ baranco Acura and it's been fine since.

Be weary of them! :yes:

JITB
11-18-2007, 12:14 PM
dam didnt know they had bad trannies like that. The accords use the same tranny?

1SICKLEX
11-18-2007, 02:02 PM
dam didnt know they had bad trannies like that. The accords use the same tranny?
The Accord/Odyessy/TL/CL all use the same tranny and all had that 100,000 warrenty. It was as bad as people getting in accidents as the tranny would just slip or shift in gear at speed.

http://www.carcomplaints.com/Honda/Accord/2003/transmission/index.shtml
http://www.complaints.com/november2003/complaintoftheday.november22.20.htm
http://www.theautochannel.com/news/2004/06/30/201658.html

American Honda Expands Voluntary Transmission Recall to Certain Honda and Acura Automobiles

TORRANCE, Calif., June 30 -- American Honda Motor Co., Inc. today announced that it will expand its existing voluntary recall of light truck models for a potential transmission defect to include certain Honda and Acura passenger cars. The voluntary action involves approximately 499,000 Honda and Acura passenger vehicles with V6 engines and 5-speed automatic transmissions. Affected models include certain 2003 and early 2004 model Accord V6 sedans and coupes, 2000-2003 and early 2004 Acura TL sedans, and 2001-2003 Acura CL coupes.

The company has found only one confirmed instance of a transmission failure related to this defect in its passenger cars, with no accidents or injuries. "We are acting out of an abundance of caution to ensure that this doesn't become an issue for our customers," said Tom Elliott, executive vice president of American Honda Motor Co., Inc.

The situation is created by insufficient lubrication of the transmission's secondary shaft second gear that can occur under certain driving conditions. Prolonged operation under these conditions can lead to heat build-up and under certain circumstances may eventually result in chipped or broken gear teeth or breakage of the gear. In the event of a chipped or broken tooth, the owner will likely experience abnormal noise from the transmission and seek repairs. In rare instances, this condition may lead to gear breakage and possible locking of the vehicle's transmission, creating a potential safety hazard.

Owners of affected vehicles will be contacted via mail and will be asked to take their vehicle to an authorized Honda or Acura dealer to be repaired free of charge. Customer mailings will begin in late July. In most cases, the repair involves a simple gear inspection, which is accomplished without removing or disassembling the transmission, and a modification to increase the flow of transmission fluid to the affected gear. If there is any indication of damage to the gear, the dealer will replace the complete transmission assembly. Customers concerned about the condition of their vehicle may visit Honda's Ownerlink website at www.ahm-ownerlink.com. Customers may also contact their local Honda or Acura dealer or call Honda

WhiteAccord
11-18-2007, 02:29 PM
/\/\ I believe that only went for the Auto trannys, if you havent mentioned it yet.

The manual trannys(6speed) Has been known to handle up to about 400whp reliable.(Of course upgraded clutch and flywheel)

Theres actually alot of parts for the Acura, You just have to search....

Best way for performance:

Ballin...

Comptech Supercharger
Comptech I/H/E
A little more agressive cams
P&P Head
And Sticky tires

= About 350whp With traction.

Budget

I/H/E
Cams
Good Tires
Tune

= 280whp ish

G/L

Crazy Asian
11-18-2007, 03:22 PM
Prelude's too have the worst transmission.
SEriously for some reason the gears are stuck or broken. And it's really easy to do taht.

Kevykev
11-18-2007, 06:17 PM
90% of transmission failure is cause by heat.

1SICKLEX
11-18-2007, 06:40 PM
90% of transmission failure is cause by heat.
Very true. Use top notch fluid and add a tranny cooler helps TONS.

chituntang
11-19-2007, 01:06 PM
Realibility of an accord, with acura "luxury"

but i walked 2 of them on the highway in my protege..:)

Really hate it when people post comment like this. Are you sure when you are pulling, they are doing the same? Just because you passed them, it does not make your car faster on the street.

Anyways, if you can find a stick, they are great cars.

JITB
11-19-2007, 01:35 PM
Really hate it when people post comment like this. Are you sure when you are pulling, they are doing the same? Just because you passed them, it does not make your car faster on the street.

Anyways, if you can find a stick, they are great cars.

lol i know i was pulling them BOTH of them, we were going at it for about 5 miles man... And i was faster than BOTH of them.. why would i lie? :???:

allmotoronly
11-19-2007, 09:46 PM
I had a 03 CL type S 6 speed that I sold last year. Whatever you do, stay away from automatic models. The transmissions have issues. Honda claimed to have fixed it for 2003, but they still do the same thing. It was a pretty quick car. I had basic bolt on mods (Comptech intake, headers, etc), and I ran a S2000 one time and pulled on him pretty good. It would bury the speedo no problem.

oh and JITB, you must have raced a CL, not a CL type S. There is a difference in HP between the two. I doubt a protege would pull on a CL type S unless the protege has a lot of mods.

allmotoronly
11-19-2007, 09:48 PM
/\/\ I believe that only went for the Auto trannys, if you havent mentioned it yet.

The manual trannys(6speed) Has been known to handle up to about 400whp reliable.(Of course upgraded clutch and flywheel)

Theres actually alot of parts for the Acura, You just have to search....

Best way for performance:

Ballin...

Comptech Supercharger
Comptech I/H/E
A little more agressive cams
P&P Head
And Sticky tires

= About 350whp With traction.

Budget

I/H/E
Cams
Good Tires
Tune

= 280whp ish

G/L

dont waste your time with cams. Get the comptech Intake, headers, and exhaust. Then get a good tune, and you should be able to make 250whp no problem. I highly doubt 280whp out of the J32A2. Hell a NSX would barely make 280whp with just I/H/E and cams.

1SICKLEX
11-19-2007, 09:55 PM
You guys are a riot. I've met (still know) probably the only guy in Atlanta that had a CL-S with the comptech goodies and he did A LOT of work to the car. This was nearly 5 years ago!

Car was very fast, incredible. Well he has a 335 BMW now. I am sure his car was faster than this but the times in C&D were awful.

http://www.caranddriver.com/specialtyfiles/6705/comptech-supercharged-acura-32cl-type-s.html

COMPTECH SUPERCHARGED ACURA 3.2CL TYPE-S

Vehicle type: front-engine, front-wheel-drive, 4-passenger, 2-door sedan
Price as tested: $53,462 (base price*: $49,312)
Engine type: supercharged SOHC 24-valve V-6, aluminum block and heads, Honda PGM-FI engine-control system with port fuel injection

Displacement: 196 cu in, 3210cc
Power (mfr’s claim): 369 bhp @ 6800 rpm
Torque (mfr’s claim): 302 lb-ft @ 5400 rpm
Transmission: 6-speed manual
Wheelbase: 106.9 in
Length: 192.0 in
Curb weight: 3500 lb
Zero to 60 mph: 5.7 sec
Zero to 100 mph: 13.2 sec
Zero to 130 mph: 23.6 sec
Street start, 5–60 mph 5.8 sec
Standing 1/4-mile: 14.2 sec @ 104 mph
Braking, 70–0 mph: 176 ft
Roadholding, 300-ft-dia skidpad: 0.89 g
EPA fuel economy, city driving: 19 mpg
*Base price includes all performance-enchancing options.

JITB
11-20-2007, 01:29 PM
I had a 03 CL type S 6 speed that I sold last year. Whatever you do, stay away from automatic models. The transmissions have issues. Honda claimed to have fixed it for 2003, but they still do the same thing. It was a pretty quick car. I had basic bolt on mods (Comptech intake, headers, etc), and I ran a S2000 one time and pulled on him pretty good. It would bury the speedo no problem.

oh and JITB, you must have raced a CL, not a CL type S. There is a difference in HP between the two. I doubt a protege would pull on a CL type S unless the protege has a lot of mods.

lol tell me what u know about proteges.... it was 2 type S's.
i still had the 4cyl in my protege than I/h/e motor was only a year old..after a stock rebuild. i rmember like it was yesterday, i look over and i was pulling a fender on 1 of the Cl's we had to be doin atleast 120, the other one was back in traffic. we fly by a cop, and i dart over 4 lanes to the off ramp...back in my dumbass days.. :no:

allmotoronly
11-20-2007, 10:54 PM
lol tell me what u know about proteges.... it was 2 type S's.
i still had the 4cyl in my protege than I/h/e motor was only a year old..after a stock rebuild. i rmember like it was yesterday, i look over and i was pulling a fender on 1 of the Cl's we had to be doin atleast 120, the other one was back in traffic. we fly by a cop, and i dart over 4 lanes to the off ramp...back in my dumbass days.. :no:

I know enough about protege's to know that a 100hp 4 cylinder car is not going to outrun a 260hp V6 car. My CL type S was faster than my 2000 prelude stock. Maybe they didn't know they were racing.

allmotoronly
11-20-2007, 11:00 PM
You guys are a riot. I've met (still know) probably the only guy in Atlanta that had a CL-S with the comptech goodies and he did A LOT of work to the car. This was nearly 5 years ago!

Car was very fast, incredible. Well he has a 335 BMW now. I am sure his car was faster than this but the times in C&D were awful.

http://www.caranddriver.com/specialtyfiles/6705/comptech-supercharged-acura-32cl-type-s.html

COMPTECH SUPERCHARGED ACURA 3.2CL TYPE-S

Vehicle type: front-engine, front-wheel-drive, 4-passenger, 2-door sedan
Price as tested: $53,462 (base price*: $49,312)
Engine type: supercharged SOHC 24-valve V-6, aluminum block and heads, Honda PGM-FI engine-control system with port fuel injection

Displacement: 196 cu in, 3210cc
Power (mfr’s claim): 369 bhp @ 6800 rpm
Torque (mfr’s claim): 302 lb-ft @ 5400 rpm
Transmission: 6-speed manual
Wheelbase: 106.9 in
Length: 192.0 in
Curb weight: 3500 lb
Zero to 60 mph: 5.7 sec
Zero to 100 mph: 13.2 sec
Zero to 130 mph: 23.6 sec
Street start, 5–60 mph 5.8 sec
Standing 1/4-mile: 14.2 sec @ 104 mph
Braking, 70–0 mph: 176 ft
Roadholding, 300-ft-dia skidpad: 0.89 g
EPA fuel economy, city driving: 19 mpg
*Base price includes all performance-enchancing options.

what are you talking about? There has obviously been more than one CL type S with comptech parts in Atlanta. When I had mine I lived in Milledgeville. Before I sold the car I had all the parts comptech had to offer except for the supercharger iteslf. Mine was the 6 speed manual. I sold it a year ago. I still have some pics on my cardomain from when I first got it.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2169874

JITB
11-21-2007, 12:21 PM
I know enough about protege's to know that a 100hp 4 cylinder car is not going to outrun a 260hp V6 car. My CL type S was faster than my 2000 prelude stock. Maybe they didn't know they were racing.

if u say so

i just randomly meet up with some folks, and we randomly all got on the hwy, and randomly sped all down 285... but we werent racing.. :lmfao:, i ran a modded 2k auto prelude around that same time of the year. the guy was sprayin but didnt when we ran.. i got away from him also..i ran away from alot of folks in that car...trust me i dont have to lie..

Kevykev
11-21-2007, 12:31 PM
Fight!

chituntang
11-21-2007, 12:38 PM
if u say so

i just randomly meet up with some folks, and we randomly all got on the hwy, and randomly sped all down 285... but we werent racing.. :lmfao:, i ran a modded 2k auto prelude around that same time of the year. the guy was sprayin but didnt when we ran.. i got away from him also..i ran away from alot of folks in that car...trust me i dont have to lie..

I guess your car can beat my car too then...

RUFFIAN
11-21-2007, 12:38 PM
This is a good idea of what you can do with these..........

JITB
11-21-2007, 01:03 PM
I guess your car can beat my car too then...

car is long gone, but before i parted it... it definately would... ;)

i love the cl's tho, i would have got one if i could have, i got a svt contour instead..lol closest i could afford.. :D

haynbtu
12-02-2007, 03:40 PM
i got a 03 accord and wated to know if u can swap the tranny from a CL to an accord!

koukis14
12-02-2007, 04:02 PM
I have an 03 TL-S auto and have had the trans replaced under the extended warranty. I love it but I still wish I sould have found an 03 6 speed Maxima. It is fast, comfortabe, and hadles great. The touque steer is not too bad and the stock BOSE system is pretty sweet. The only thing I dont like about it is there is a pedal missing (the one that goes left of the brake pedal) and the engine faces the wrong way. I was ****ing around a little with a WS-6 trans am and we were even but we both never got on it all the way, too much traffic.