PDA

View Full Version : okay here's how it is....need a bit of help.

madking411
11-17-2007, 08:20 PM
As most of you all know, i have a sunfire/cavalier that is a 1996, and its VERY slightly modded already. Got basic bolt-ons, drop, exhaust, etc. Now what i want to do is either, spend some more $$$$ on the car, possibly turbo it, and have it be a nice sleeper...

My OTHER option is, to get a 88 - 91 EF Honda, and start fresh. Build it, possibly turbo it, do same basic bolt-ons etc....

Now, my Main Question of this thread is, If i were to get the Honda, build and tubocharge it, How easy is it to tune?? Because, i know if i were to turbo my j-body car, then it would be EXTREMELY easy to tune it through the ECU, and i would be able to do it myself with the tuning software and proper directions.

Which option sounds best?? as in, which one has the lowest possible cash that must be spent, and which one is easier to do, as far as tuning ability/ability to get a tune??

madking411
11-17-2007, 08:25 PM
Oh, and the EF Honda, im buyin from one of my friends too....The car doesnt have a motor as of now, but he's lookin around for one for me....Im gonna try to see if i can help him install it....

RBS
11-17-2007, 09:37 PM
well as far as tuning goes, hondas are pretty much thus far, the easiest cars to ever tune lol

Whiteboy™
11-17-2007, 09:38 PM
EF FTMFW

xlilvi3tx
11-17-2007, 10:50 PM
do the ef yo. and the tuning part, it really depends on the motor. but most honda are really easy to tune

madking411
11-18-2007, 09:01 AM
I think theres most likely going to be a D series droppin in there.....

I COULD get a B series dropped in it, but it would push my budget over by probably at least $500....

Oh, and is it easy enough, that you can just order a program, and then tune it all yourself?? Without a Dyno-test, etc.?

Z0_o6
11-18-2007, 09:08 AM
you won't be able to PROPERLY tune any car without a dyno. street tunes work ok, but a dyno tune is the best you will get. the EF is by far the way to go, the cars are light, parts are available, and you can swap anything into it from a single up to a k-series.

j-body FTL.

AnthonyF
11-18-2007, 09:38 AM
try NAD Auto. they have tons over japanese motors (USDM and JDM).

do not tune the vehicle yourself if you really dont know anything about boosted cars. Sell ur junk box sunfire b/c ive driven one, and they NO guts. If your going to boost your motor rebuild. It's going to cost some money but it'll be worth it. With a built bottom end you have some fun with the boost. Where as if you just throw a motor in there and slap on a turbo, your going to say "i'll keep it at 6psi" until one day you turn it up to 10+ and blow the motor.

madking411
11-18-2007, 09:46 AM
try NAD Auto. they have tons over japanese motors (USDM and JDM).

do not tune the vehicle yourself if you really dont know anything about boosted cars. Sell ur junk box sunfire b/c ive driven one, and they NO guts. If your going to boost your motor rebuild. It's going to cost some money but it'll be worth it. With a built bottom end you have some fun with the boost. Where as if you just throw a motor in there and slap on a turbo, your going to say "i'll keep it at 6psi" until one day you turn it up to 10+ and blow the motor.

So, wait, you're saying if im going to keep my current car, then i should build the engine and boost it??

And, i can already GET the motor....im just goin through my friend who's in BYT....he's the one gettin the motor for me...

Z0_o6
11-18-2007, 09:49 AM
no he is saying lose the ****box cavalier and get the honda.

madking411
11-18-2007, 09:50 AM
no he is saying lose the ****box cavalier and get the honda.

Well, he's talkin about buildn the HONDA engine and boostin it then...? I dont even know what engine is gonna go in the car yet, either though...

Z0_o6
11-18-2007, 09:58 AM
if you get the ef, and drop a cheap b16 swap in it, you will be plenty happy with it long enough to save up for a turbo setup and proper tune. the key to it is to go to honda-tech and READ. you will learn enough to make the decisions the right way.

AnthonyF
11-18-2007, 09:59 AM
So, wait, you're saying if im going to keep my current car, then i should build the engine and boost it??

And, i can already GET the motor....im just goin through my friend who's in BYT....he's the one gettin the motor for me...

:gay:

juss cuz ur in a car club doesnt mean you know anything about cars. lol.

and yea...lose the GM. Build the car right, but it seems, by your posts, you will keep it stock boost it, and blow it up. good luck tho.

AnthonyF
11-18-2007, 10:05 AM
Well, he's talkin about buildn the HONDA engine and boostin it then...? I dont even know what engine is gonna go in the car yet, either though...

B16/B18 almost the same. i do not know the price difference but i believe the b16 is a lot cheaper but you dont see the gains as much as you do like the b18. But, in such a light weight vehicle, it wont matter. Now you could drop in a nice H22 and have some nice n/a power and tq.

My buddy has a H22 EG with a 55-65 shot of nitrous, stock internals and pushing 250hp. 13.0 1/4 mile on street tires (no spray). mid 12's with spray and street tires.

Scotsman
11-18-2007, 10:23 AM
B16/B18 almost the same. i do not know the price difference but i believe the b16 is a lot cheaper but you dont see the gains as much as you do like the b18. But, in such a light weight vehicle, it wont matter. Now you could drop in a nice H22 and have some nice n/a power and tq.

My buddy has a H22 EG with a 55-65 shot of nitrous, stock internals and pushing 250hp. 13.0 1/4 mile on street tires (no spray). mid 12's with spray and street tires.^^^^thats what i'm doin after x-mas!:goodjob:

madking411
11-18-2007, 11:33 AM
The guy is the mechanic for BYT - Joel? he's got the boosted Civic hatch....not sure what his s/n is on here or if he even HAS one on here, but yeah....I'm also gonna try to have him help me build the engine RIGHT...

He told me last night that he has a B series engine we can drop in it, but its goin for $700 by itself.

gtikid
11-18-2007, 06:49 PM
The guy is the mechanic for BYT - Joel? he's got the boosted Civic hatch....not sure what his s/n is on here or if he even HAS one on here, but yeah....I'm also gonna try to have him help me build the engine RIGHT...

He told me last night that he has a B series engine we can drop in it, but its goin for $700 by itself.

LOL @ Joel :lmfao:

TicketRedBB6
11-19-2007, 08:11 AM
700 isn't even that much for a B series. Whether you're on a tight budget or not, you're gonna need some kind of DOHC for the easiest way to boost it and get better power.

AnthonyF
11-19-2007, 08:26 AM
700 isn't even that much for a B series. Whether you're on a tight budget or not, you're gonna need some kind of DOHC for the easiest way to boost it and get better power.

:umno: Have you seen the power put down by d15/d16s?

madking-it comes down to how you build it. if you pour all your money into it, your going to have a fantastic motor. What i WOULD do if i were you, is strip the motor down. Get the cylinders honed and install nice forged pistons from CP or Wiseco. Get the motor balanced and blue printed with new crank and rod bearings. While the head is off get the head ported for a nice flow of air. No need for cams right away. You can do that later on.

xlilvi3tx
11-19-2007, 08:43 AM
dont get the d-series!!! lol if u want a low budget B swap get a b20, no more then 600, good for the torque but no vtec.... but a lil boost will take care of u at high end, and its in a ef chassis too. just sleeve the bottom end and get good axles. lol but still any motor can pull, u just gotta know how to build it

TicketRedBB6
11-19-2007, 08:44 AM
:umno: Have you seen the power put down by d15/d16s?

madking-it comes down to how you build it. if you pour all your money into it, your going to have a fantastic motor. What i WOULD do if i were you, is strip the motor down. Get the cylinders honed and install nice forged pistons from CP or Wiseco. Get the motor balanced and blue printed with new crank and rod bearings. While the head is off get the head ported for a nice flow of air. No need for cams right away. You can do that later on.

Oh i've seen the numbers, but have you seen the money it takes to build a SOHC D series to get those numbers? He said he was on a budget so I said to go with the B series swap because in the long run it will be cheaper for him

blown_ss
11-19-2007, 10:42 AM
you are not going to be able to do anything with only 500. good luck with all of that. i would sale the sunfire and buy a honda.